tor

Beer Thread

113 posts in this topic

So what do people reckon is the sweet spot in terms of #'s of beers before going on to something lighter to drink e.g. bourbon?

For me it varies and I cannot really say why.

Some days the beer goes down like water and I can drink the stuff real easy. Other days it is all too difficult after just a pint or two.

I speculate that for me it is on those evenings that I have to be home, with about an hour to spare, that the beer is so much nicer than other nights when I have the whole night in front of me? It is on those nights I have more time than usual I find after just a few beers I have to swap to spirits.

If I had to average it I reckon it would be after as few as four or so pints that I make the switch.

This is totally unacceptable! I have been doing my bit for the team, admit it ... who is letting the side down?

Link

AUSTRALIANS are drinking less alcohol and even the steady growth in wine quaffing has stopped.

The latest figures by the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that beer drinking has plunged to a 65-year low.

This is totally unacceptable! I have been doing my bit for the team, admit it ... who is letting the side down?

Link

In April I wasn't, which is why Mrs Pursuivant and I are having a dry May.

Edited by Witchsmeller Pursuivant

In April I wasn't, which is why Mrs Pursuivant and I are having a dry May.

I think I had a dry Tuesday. Once. About four years ago.

Just kidding, I usually don't drink during the week and tackle the liver with gusto on the weekends.

Link

I was keeping up my usual phenomenal work rate until I suffered an elbow strain late last night. Had a physio session over lunch it looks like I'll be match fit again in 20 minutes.

I was keeping up my usual phenomenal work rate until I suffered an elbow strain late last night. Had a physio session over lunch it looks like I'll be match fit again in 20 minutes.

Good work! :cheers:

Australians drank on average just under 10 litres of alcohol per Australian aged over 14 in 2010-2011, the first time consumption has fallen on the previous year's intake in 10 years.

10 litres per annum? :shocking: I would have thought that was nothing more than a good long weekend !!??

Edit: unless they are using the pure alcohol content and multiplying e.g. a 375 ml beer * 4.5% = <calculation too difficult for a Friday night> ml.

Edited by Turkey

Good work! :cheers:

10 litres per annum? :shocking: I would have thought that was nothing more than a good long weekend !!??

Edit: unless they are using the pure alcohol content and multiplying e.g. a 375 ml beer * 4.5% = <calculation too difficult for a Friday night> ml.

Must be because a carton of beer even small bottoles (330mL) is 8L odd. I would be drinking on behalf of about 30 abstaining Australians I reckon... Indeed the average would be under the recommended amount on those adds.

Then if it is alcohol alone : 400mL per carton. i.e. you would drink a carton every fortnight to get through your ten litres. I guess that seems about right? I am about that I reckon with pubs and home drinking combined with the occasional bender, but most would be under and many I know would be at least double. Yeh it has to be as you suggest pure alcohol content.

One of the most beauteous things about NZ is that the beer HQ is only 90 minutes from the best wine. Nelson has 3 craft breweries. Went to a pub called the sprig and fern (franchised) and had their IPA. Excellent! Reminiscent of the wig and pen. They make a pretty good pilsner and the doppel bock (@8%) is a thing to behold. Just witnessed the allblacks cream france 23-0 whilst supping some of the finest ale ever created and so this may go some way to explaining my exuberance. ;)

I just had every commercially available beer n Tanzania and Kenya this evening. Most are served in 500 ml bottles so aim fairly full and quite picled

I just had every commercially available beer n Tanzania and Kenya this evening. Most are served in 500 ml bottles so aim fairly full and quite picled

Hehehe - your typing's sloshed!  :cheers:

Whilst I would love to consider myself a finely tuned beer drinking machine, the truth is closer to the few varieties theory (I didn't include or obviously know of all the craft beers).

Spelling was due to typing on an iPad in the dark with tunnel vision and no fine motor control

Have topped up nicely tonight on Kilimajaro lager, which is one of the finer lagers I have ever sampled. Got annihilated at pool for my sins.