tor

Beer Thread

113 posts in this topic

Beer wars: big retail v Foster's

Beer has become the new battleground in the supermarket price war after Australia's biggest brewer, Foster's, pulled key beer brands from Coles and Woolworths upon learning of a plan to sell them for $28 a slab - well below cost.

The Age has learned that Foster's, in a late-night operation this month, stopped the delivery of tens of thousands of slabs of VB, Carlton Draught and Pure Blonde to Coles' First Choice liquor stores and Woolworths' Dan Murphy's chain.

Predatory pricing doesn't seem so bad when beer is involved.

Predatory pricing doesn't seem so bad when beer is involved.

One of the retailer analyst guys on ABC24 was talking about it. He was saying that by doing the undercharging other retailers (that can't compete by price) will avoid that brand and that it can also destroy the brand image resulting in the brand just not existing in a few years.

I thought that would a shame until I saw the brands they were talking about. We have had a plethora of dreck foisted on us over the past few years[1].

If any of these were affected I'd be sad though http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/australia/14/

[1] Blonde I think is the most annoying, it isn't a blonde style beer it is a mediocre lager and beer has bugger all carbohydrates anyway. Oh I hate those.

One of the retailer analyst guys on ABC24 was talking about it. He was saying that by doing the undercharging other retailers (that can't compete by price) will avoid that brand and that it can also destroy the brand image resulting in the brand just not existing in a few years.

I thought that would a shame until I saw the brands they were talking about. We have had a plethora of dreck foisted on us over the past few years[1].

If any of these were affected I'd be sad though http://www.ratebeer....y/australia/14/

[1] Blonde I think is the most annoying, it isn't a blonde style beer it is a mediocre lager and beer has bugger all carbohydrates anyway. Oh I hate those.

The gits that think they are doing the right thing for their health by drinking it, and don't realise the alchohol content has all the sugar in it, sh*t me more than the beer itself.

If any of these were affected I'd be sad though http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/australia/14/

Thanks for the list of the top 50! Wig and Pen have two in the top 20. :) (Thems canberra) If you're in canberra possibly the only good pub. I like their IPA but 4 pints is usually enough.

Then I move on to wine... :wine: Probably OT in the beer thread but I am amazed how cheaply I can get good NZ sauv blanc for when I buy 6 at a time from woolies. $12 per bottle. :)

House prices high but no rebellion in this land cos grog is cheap.

Picked up some interesting ones today. Kwak and Tripel Karmeliet which are two long time favourites that unfortunately don't appear at bottleshops that often so I buy lots when I see it.

Kwak is pure malt. I am surprised I don't go into some kind of diabetic shock drinking it. Traditionally served in a coach glass (like a small version of a yard glass). http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pauwel-kwak/ cost about $8 a 375ml bottle. $40 for 4 with the glass (one of my glasses has a flaw in it and is likely to break so I got the glass set).

Karmeliet is my favourite beer in the history of the world. It is a dessert beer. The palate is creamy and grainy at the same time and the correct glass is a masterpiece of majestic beer drinking. Makes you feel like the sun king.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tripel-karmeliet/

Weird, I just went looking for a pic of the tripel glass and found this page which has both on it: http://www.corman-collins.be/biere/bosteels/bosteels-e.html

House prices high but no rebellion in this land cos grog is cheap.

Actually booze is a ripoff in Aus as well compared to most western countries, much cheaper in most of europe.

I noticed the Union Hotel Newtown has Vale Ale on tap when there a couple of weeks ago, very nice beer, to my tastebuds almost a cross between coopers and Hoegaarden. Will drink again.

While the Aussie dollar is at 1.07 budweiser seems to be on sale everytime I go to teh bottleshop.

5724_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832546600.jpg

Has anyone made the switch to them? Don't mind the adds either.

I am going to be drinking them as my staple at home beer as long they are $45.00 per carton.

The Chimay etc are starting to become reasonably priced too;

35014_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832287663.jpg

$90.00 for 12 bottles is not too bad which seems to be the rate at bigger bottleshops. About $7.40 per bottle.

Drinking chimay one is well and truly maggoted before they feel bloated... I wonder how the trappist monks are keeping up with the massive populatrity of their beers over the last 5 or so years?

While the Aussie dollar is at 1.07 budweiser seems to be on sale everytime I go to teh bottleshop.

5724_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832546600.jpg

Has anyone made the switch to them? Don't mind the adds either.

I am going to be drinking them as my staple at home beer as long they are $45.00 per carton.

The Chimay etc are starting to become reasonably priced too;

35014_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569832287663.jpg

$90.00 for 12 bottles is not too bad which seems to be the rate at bigger bottleshops. About $7.40 per bottle.

Drinking chimay one is well and truly maggoted before they feel bloated... I wonder how the trappist monks are keeping up with the massive populatrity of their beers over the last 5 or so years?

I remember drinking bud in the US and finding it was only 3.6% or so alcohol. The flavour was pretty weak also. (Compared to Melbourne bitter) Probably more like a corona. I will give them another try but I haven't seen them in Canberry. We are getting something called "Chang" which I'm reluctant to try since my last experience of tsingtao. (Too sweet)

I don't think those monks a shuffling around dark stone corridors in robes and cowls anymore. Large stainless steel vats with crosses painted on? The lord moves in mysterious ways. :ph34r:

Edited by staringclown

Just visited the "Hunter Beer Company" near Cessnock. Spoke to a very friendly man named Keith. Very knowledgable about beer (an enthusiast is always irresistible) And anyone with job title of "The beer guy" on their business card I'm apt to get on with.

I tasted 6 beers. All were good but some were gooder.

Witbier - 4.6% and very pale. Lighter in colour than the belgian witbiers I've tried (leffe and Hoegaarden) they infuse their version with a bit of lime peel (as opposed to the traditional orange peel) and coriander. Very good on a hot summer day.

Ginger - 4.5% tea coloured and not strong on the ginger. You can smell it but it is nothing like the traditional sweet ginger beer I've had in the past. Very crisp flavour. More ginger ale without the sugar

Kolsch - 4.5% Slightly tart with hints of pineapple and passionfruit. A slight bitterness of hops on the finish. I'd call it a session beer but only because of it's drinkability and the fact I wanted more of it.

Wicked Elf - 5.4% This was a guest beer from near Port Macquarie. Good and in the same style as Squires/Little creatures pale ale. Quite hoppy with a pleasant bitter aftertaste.

Lager - 4.5% (I started getting a bit hazy at this point) I was less impressed with this one. Had a mushroomy flavour up front and reminded me vaguely of steinlager which I'm not that keen on.

Chocolate Porter - Very dark and rich as you'd expect. Nutty in flavour from the darker roasted malt.

There were a bunch of others but I had to drive so abstained. I bought a magnum each of the kolsch and the witbier. Definitely worth a visit.

Edit: Off for some wine now. I may be some time. :)

Edited by staringclown

I've drunk their beer a number of times, been there only once and always keep a magnum handy around the house.

you can mail order (or friend order when you hear someone's going to the hunter!)

I hope you tried the pale ale!

I've drunk their beer a number of times, been there only once and always keep a magnum handy around the house.

you can mail order (or friend order when you hear someone's going to the hunter!)

I hope you tried the pale ale!

Sadly they didn't have the pale ale on tap. Polished off a magnum of the kolsch without even raising a sweat. Goes down far to easily.

I don't think we have a wine thread so at the risk of looking a bit of ponce I would like to recommend the Audrey Wilkinson "The ridge" reserve semillon. Gorgeous. And believe me I've gorged a fair swig of it.

Wig and Pen - Flemm

A red sour flemish ale 7.4%

It's worth a go if you happen to be passing but I would recommend a half pint first up. It's a beer which has been left open to allow natural yeasts to promote fermentation. It was like drinking a weak balsamic vinegar. An acquired taste but I could get used it. Mind you I could get used to drinking battery acid so don't get your hopes up.

Now that the budweiser ads are not playing so often I have turned to the next beer with slick marketing...

I know you fine beer drinkers will turn up your noses at my common tastes, but:

Has anyone switched over to Hahn super dry for their regular, on tap beer?

I have now switched to this and it is dangerously easy to drink embarrasing amounts of it and is now available everywhere, plus usually on special somewhere for around the $40-45.00 mark a carton for at home. Don't know if it was slick marketing or what it was but over the last 18 months or so it has become possibly the most drunk beer at most of my regular haunts.

Anyway before you all cus at me, try some. For a beer available everywhere it is a lot better than teds, tooheys new, vb and all the other mainstays on tap.

Now that the budweiser ads are not playing so often I have turned to the next beer with slick marketing...

I know you fine beer drinkers will turn up your noses at my common tastes, but:

Has anyone switched over to Hahn super dry for their regular, on tap beer?

I have now switched to this and it is dangerously easy to drink embarrasing amounts of it and is now available everywhere, plus usually on special somewhere for around the $40-45.00 mark a carton for at home. Don't know if it was slick marketing or what it was but over the last 18 months or so it has become possibly the most drunk beer at most of my regular haunts.

Anyway before you all cus at me, try some. For a beer available everywhere it is a lot better than teds, tooheys new, vb and all the other mainstays on tap.

Far from cussing, I like hahn super dry as a session beer. It has a nice crisp finish and goes down very smoothly. I kid myself that it is a low carb beer and therefore will help with keeping off the weight. This might well be true when you're not consuming 14 in a session. :blush:

Far from cussing, I like hahn super dry as a session beer. It has a nice crisp finish and goes down very smoothly. I kid myself that it is a low carb beer and therefore will help with keeping off the weight. This might well be true when you're not consuming 14 in a session. :blush:

I reckon the low carb has an added benifit of it being less likely to cause hangovers? don't know whether that is it but it defintitely takes less of a toll on me than other beers. Could be it has slightly less alcohol content at 4.6% than some on tap beers I have been known to drink?

Still I cannot drink more than about 6-9 beers in a single session. I have to move onto something easier to put away like scotch and coke if I do have a session which carries on a bit.

Heresy. Stop it.

Straight to the Lord Nelson or Shippies for the both of you.

I'm serious.

Hahn Super Dry is my full-strength session beer of choice but in bottles.

On-tap I like Pure Blonde, James Boags and Tooheys New.

I think with draught beer it depends a lot on whether the establishment is keeping it at the right temperature, whether you are getting the first bit or last bit of the barrel etc.

At my local spot, the Tooheys new can be really good or really bad (chemical taste, others have confirmed). I have asked them what the difference is but I get blank looks.

I reckon the low carb has an added benifit of it being less likely to cause hangovers? don't know whether that is it but it defintitely takes less of a toll on me than other beers. Could be it has slightly less alcohol content at 4.6% than some on tap beers I have been known to drink?

Still I cannot drink more than about 6-9 beers in a single session. I have to move onto something easier to put away like scotch and coke if I do have a session which carries on a bit.

Not much helps my hangovers tom. If I stick with beer I get away with a dull headache and a general feeling of dread.

Red wine I suffer a complete disintegration of normal bodily functions.

Whisky I need to lie still in a darkened room with saline solution fed intravenously for up to two days.

Heresy. Stop it.

Straight to the Lord Nelson or Shippies for the both of you.

I'm serious.

Get thee to a pubbery!

As penance I'll drink 2 beers with my father and 3 bloody marys.

Turkey - the chemical taste means they aren't flushing their lines properly after cleaning them. But at least they do clean them.

Turkey - the chemical taste means they aren't flushing their lines properly after cleaning them. But at least they do clean them.

That makes sense. Last year's staff were on the ball but the current bunch of clowns (no offense) look like they share a huge bag of weed before work.

It surprises me that they actually attempt to clean the lines.

I tried to post last night when I got home but failed miserably - I was too drunk.

It was Carlton Draught that did it - and it gave me a thumper of a headache, which I almost never get from beer alone.

I will avoid this deadly beast in future!

Many drinks today but still sober enough to post ... woot!

So what do people reckon is the sweet spot in terms of #'s of beers before going on to something lighter to drink e.g. bourbon?

Today I did 7 or 8 beers and then went onto the Jack but I think one or two less beers may have left more space for steak? Oh the hardships we have to endure!

Many drinks today but still sober enough to post ... woot!

So what do people reckon is the sweet spot in terms of #'s of beers before going on to something lighter to drink e.g. bourbon?

Today I did 7 or 8 beers and then went onto the Jack but I think one or two less beers may have left more space for steak? Oh the hardships we have to endure!

I generally start on wine nowadays and have been forced down to beer as it's good friday so renewal of supplies was problematic. Came home with wins in 4 straight rubbers out of 4 of cribbage against our traditional enemies. (We pegged like gods.) I'm lucky enough to have some hahn superdry left over. I very heppy. :cheers:

Essential reading -

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/drink-up-and-find-a-solution-study-says/story-e6frea8c-1226324372377

A study has found that men who enjoy a relaxing drink are actually better at solving brain teasers than those who are stone cold sober.

Not only did the thirstier blokes get more questions right, they were also quicker in delivering the correct responses.

It is thought that alcohol hinders analytical thinking, allowing creative thoughts, which otherwise might be stifled, to take root.