tor

Beer Thread

113 posts in this topic

VB's not my cup of beer anymore since they tore an enture 0.01% out of alcohol content - price isn't right anymore either - now I only buy VB when i want to spoil myself...

edit: my % is wrong.

Edited by Bullshark

Yes, HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY !

No OS beer today, only local ...

flickr-3424091933-image.jpg

Swan draft looks like ginger ale.

I actually don't mind the swan on tap. Tastes like a light beer but with the alcohol of a full strength. A good one for after work.

Swan draft looks like ginger ale.

I actually don't mind the swan on tap. Tastes like a light beer but with the alcohol of a full strength. A good one for after work.

Nah that just looks like detergent on the inside of the glass (assuming you are referring to the pic and not to an experienced reality).

Nice to see a fellow VB man.

They can't say that people drink it because it's cheap anymore. $46 a case!

If you want cheap you have to go for that Tasman Bitter, which is owned by Coles and so you can only get it at Liquorland, last time I bought it it was about $30 a case, pretty bad though, when I poured it into a glass it was half froth and the beer itself was all watery.

That does seem expensive. Schoefferhoffer is about $70 a case from memory and that is 500ml bottles.

70 / 24 x 0.500 = $5.83/litre

46 / 24 x 0.375 = $5.11/litre

I would have expected a much bigger difference. Maybe I only buy it on special or something.

Nah that just looks like detergent on the inside of the glass (assuming you are referring to the pic and not to an experienced reality).

I was referring to the pic. In real life I cant really remember anything too distinct about it. I actually drink it now on occassions because I usually ask for draught which on the east means carlton in the west it means swan, and I now just leave it be and drink up.

I thought detergent stopped the bubbles. It does with champagne? You have to wash champagne flutes with water after the normal wash. I suppose this is why in Europe they rinse your glass with water before serving?

I also remember in France getting chastised for not returning to the bar with my glass to have it refilled... how embaressing.

I was referring to the pic. In real life I cant really remember anything too distinct about it. I actually drink it now on occassions because I usually ask for draught which on the east means carlton in the west it means swan, and I now just leave it be and drink up.

I thought detergent stopped the bubbles. It does with champagne? You have to wash champagne flutes with water after the normal wash. I suppose this is why in Europe they rinse your glass with water before serving?

I also remember in France getting chastised for not returning to the bar with my glass to have it refilled... how embaressing.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the detergent forms nucleation sites for the CO2 and so you end up with beer like in the picture where all the CO2 comes out of solution really fast and then your beer is flat.

Headmaster made a glass where the rim of the glass had teeny tiny nucleation sites all around the rim so that a head would form even when poured by incompetents into badly rinsed glasses. Thing is the head lasts for a few minutes only then you have a flat beer.

I _really_ want to get one of the belgian glass washers installed in my brewery / bar when I build it. The ones with the push down X that then fires cold clean water into the glass. Excellent idea.

Yeah, if I remember correctly the detergent forms nucleation sites for the CO2 and so you end up with beer like in the picture where all the CO2 comes out of solution really fast and then your beer is flat.

Headmaster made a glass where the rim of the glass had teeny tiny nucleation sites all around the rim so that a head would form even when poured by incompetents into badly rinsed glasses. Thing is the head lasts for a few minutes only then you have a flat beer.

I _really_ want to get one of the belgian glass washers installed in my brewery / bar when I build it. The ones with the push down X that then fires cold clean water into the glass. Excellent idea.

I am going to go and wash some glasses and drink from them in stead of the bottle. I am just drinking teds today. I will report back in an hour.

Definitely a good idea on the water flushing device.

How soft are we in Australia that we get a new glass everytime we get another beer? Even at the belgian beer cafe they still get a new glass they just rinse it first.

The delicate aroma and earthy taste bring me back again and again....

Victoria%20Bitter%20-direkt%20nach%20Haake%20Beck%21.jpg

and sometimes you even get a free toy - just like a happy meal.

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY YER PONCY POSH BEER DRINKERS!!!

heh, i have to admit VB doesn't appeal. MB seems a bit better to me. but when i'm tightening the purse strings i go for wine instead of cheap beer. sort of the opposite of every other time in my life--used to buy beer to save money and wine for special occasions. now its wine to save money, beer when i feel like splurging a bit.

Potters Brewery in the hunter is awesome, just had a day out there.

http://www.hunterbeer.com.au/showpage.asp?pageno=42

That shows the beers. I bought myself a magnum of each of the Kolsch, Pale Ale and Witbier

For every other day we go here http://www.thebeerfactory.com.au/ to make any of our choosing

And when I want something a little more commercial it's a Malt Shovel, or Matilda Bay beer (beez neez, squires, fat yak, etc)

That does seem expensive. Schoefferhoffer is about $70 a case from memory and that is 500ml bottles.

70 / 24 x 0.500 = $5.83/litre

46 / 24 x 0.375 = $5.11/litre

I would have expected a much bigger difference. Maybe I only buy it on special or something.

You can get it for $34 a case if you buy two cases from Liquorland. But I suppose that sort of discount can be had with Corona and other stuff as well at Coles.

For those that want to find the best prices:

http://boozle.com.au/

In case you didn't know!

Which will probably just lead you to Coles and supporting the evil empire. Ha ha.

Hmm, VB has a new beer out called VB Raw, I might have to try it at some stage.

4110816056_eb2439c00e.jpg

Thanks for the boozle link.

Picked up fat yak and little creatures pale ales for $48 & $53 respectively a case @ BWS. They have 20% off cases of beer till sunday.

Both had just come in so they will be good in the cellar for a few months.

I just bought a carton of Blue tongue lager. I enjoy Tasmanian beers and it says no preservatives and other stuff on the box.

I might be keeping the mods busy the next couple of days ... I looked at the expiry date and because of the lack of preservatives I'm gonna drink it fast.

I just bought a carton of Blue tongue lager. I enjoy Tasmanian beers and it says no preservatives and other stuff on the box.

I might be keeping the mods busy the next couple of days ... I looked at the expiry date and because of the lack of preservatives I'm gonna drink it fast.

My only real new stuff since this thread was last updated are the Malt Shovel Brewery "Malt Runner" it's okay and the latest Cascade First Harvest which seems way maltier than last years.

Both are worth purchasing a 6 pack to try if you like heavier malt laden ales, Dan Murphy runs it at about $60 a case for each so I assume about 20 a six pack.

I usually have a break from beer during the cooler months.

I'm enjoying a Wolf Blass Royal Reserve Tawny Port these days.

Occasionally I don't mind a nip of Stones Green Ginger Wine as well.

On ice or with Lemonade, its a nice drop and a cheap drink.

I'll get back to beer around August/September. :wine:

Replying to myself ... awesome!

The first blue tongue tasted very sweet but was after a Hahn Super Dry.

Subsequent ones have been quite dry but very tasty.

I'm now into double figures, woot!

Also had 5 Castle export beers (from South Africa). They're good but I'm struggling with stomach capacity at the moment.

I discovered tonight that there are two separate stomachs, one for beer and one for Southern Comfort.

It was impressive how easily the SC slid down after I felt like a bloated pig on too many Hahn Super Dry's.

I discovered tonight that there are two separate stomachs, one for beer and one for Southern Comfort.

It was impressive how easily the SC slid down after I felt like a bloated pig on too many Hahn Super Dry's.

It's the same stomach - it's just seeing double :smoke:

Shame the legs stay the same for each stomach :)

For the true southern comfort experience (and plus to broadcast to the world you are 16, have new boobs and are amenable to negotiation regarding bedroom activities involving said new boobs) you simply must try Southern Comfort with L&P.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_%26_Paeroa

It is tacky but I love experiencing the really crass bits of any countries culture. High class restaurants are the same the world over and a martini is not much different bar to bar but when you drink the local "teenage slut" drink or eat the "Truckies wake up" breakfast you get a bit of coolness thrown into the mix.

For the true southern comfort experience (and plus to broadcast to the world you are 16, have new boobs and are amenable to negotiation regarding bedroom activities involving said new boobs) you simply must try Southern Comfort with L&P.

It is tacky but I love experiencing the really crass bits of any countries culture. High class restaurants are the same the world over and a martini is not much different bar to bar but when you drink the local "teenage slut" drink or eat the "Truckies wake up" breakfast you get a bit of coolness thrown into the mix.

I think the queensland equivalent is the rum and coke (or bourbon and coke in the SE corner) With bourbon and coke drinkers being slightly more sophisticated in that their knuckles don't quite reach the ground. :D

Castle is a nice drop, had many with old jaapie (no offence meant) mates from many an 8 pack of mental cases (thats the 8 headcases from the loose head to the No8 for you soccer luvvies). Saffer Reds are nice from Paarl.

Southen Comfort (like Bourbon) is good straight and possibly with ice. You start throwing mixers in and its just a pop.

When I was trying to be a (male) teenage slut I used to drink a fair bit of Southern Comfort, lime and lemonade. I wonder if that tastes similar to Lemon Peroa. Now I don't like sweet drinks but I'll resort to them when the beer (or stomach) runs out.

Edited by Turkey