tor

Beer Thread

113 posts in this topic

I haven't actually tried anything new in a while but I have a bottle of blue chimay on the bench for later tonight when work is done.

Blue Chimay is trappist and strong. It is bottled on lees (fancy word for yeasty crap) so, like wine, it can age in the bottle.

Pretty common and normally in the $8 region for a 375ml bottle. If you are thinking of aging get the 750 for consistency sake.

A very strong flavoured beer, as in many will not think it is beer if only exposed to lagers, considered somewhat of an icon in the trappist world due to it being very consistent year to year and also being widely available.

Lot of rum and raisin type flavours and quite a think mouthfeel. Not great for hot summer days as a first try bur excellent after dinner. Serve it at around 15 degrees and try to put it in something with a wide mouth, the smells are great and part of the greatness of the beer.

Beats the crap out of many of the cheaper belgian beers.

I haven't actually tried anything new in a while but I have a bottle of blue chimay on the bench for later tonight when work is done.

Blue Chimay is trappist and strong. It is bottled on lees (fancy word for yeasty crap) so, like wine, it can age in the bottle.

Pretty common and normally in the $8 region for a 375ml bottle. If you are thinking of aging get the 750 for consistency sake.

A very strong flavoured beer, as in many will not think it is beer if only exposed to lagers, considered somewhat of an icon in the trappist world due to it being very consistent year to year and also being widely available.

Lot of rum and raisin type flavours and quite a think mouthfeel. Not great for hot summer days as a first try bur excellent after dinner. Serve it at around 15 degrees and try to put it in something with a wide mouth, the smells are great and part of the greatness of the beer.

Beats the crap out of many of the cheaper belgian beers.

Alhambra Reserva 1925, 6.4 % . Nice Super Premium Beer ...

exqui7-1.gif

Commercial Description:

Reserved for the most demanding palate. Alhambra Reserva 1925 is a high quality beer crafted to perfection. With its deep, exquisite taste and exclusive masterpiece in bottle design. Reserva 1925: Our vast brewing experience, to enchant the beer connoisseur.

15°

Reviews ...

Dec 2, 2009 Experienced first in Spain, I was shocked by how smooth this strong, yet light tasting, lager was going down. The finish was magical. Though subtle, the hint of caramel malt is a nice distinguishing feature. Very easy on the stomach. By far Spain’s best in my experience. Personally, I found it more enjoyable when consumed straight from the bottle (this is how it was served to me, in nice establishments, on multiple occasions).

Available in Perth at http://www.internati...?product_id=191

Edited by Silver Surfer

Alhambra Reserva 1925, 6.4 % . Nice Super Premium Beer ...

Tastes like? Costs? Availability? Preferred drinking arena?

(man I hate green bottles)

Beer is a broad brush. Lagers? Ales?

For pale lager/pils I do like Staropramen, Budvar and Warsteiner are nice. Sapporo in Japan well also.

I also like Hefeweizen (unfilterd wheat beer) from my local brewery bar.

For darker ale - Rickards Red, James Squire Amber and Golden, London Pride, Old Speckled Hen, Newc Brown and London Pride.

I do like the Trappist and Abbey Belgian Ales as well though I haven't a Belgian Beer outlet locally.

For pale lager/pils I do like Staropramen, Budvar and Warsteiner are nice. Sapporo in Japan well also.

For darker ale - Rickards Red, James Squire Amber and Golden, London Pride, Old Speckled Hen, Newc Brown and London Pride.

I do like the Trappist and Abbey Belgian Ales as well though I haven't a Belgian Beer outlet locally.

London Pride is a nice drop ...

I was given a carton of Peroni, Nastro Azzuro many years ago by a wine society for buying a carton of wine and have been on the stuff since.

It is now distributed by Coke and so the price is reasonable too. When I was first on it, I was paying aaround the $60.00 mark. Now you can often get it for $40.00 with the other imported beers.

Really light and crisp, easy to drink in hot weather. A fantastic lager.

I have had the Chimay blue at the belgian beer cafe. I think it was $12.00? I hope I am thinking of the right colour, I know there is a handfull, and I have tried them all, well the three under $20.00 at the BBCafe's

Shepherd neame "Spitfire" ale. I was working for them in kent when it was released in 1990 and grew very attached to the malty, rich flavour. The fact that it was 5.2% compared to the normal "Masterbrew" that weighed in at 3.5% may also have had something to do with it. Seems to have dropped in alcohol since then. down to 4.5%. You can get it in bottles here ~$8.00 I tried it a while back and it doesn't seem to be quite as good as I remember. This too may be due to the fact the pub I worked for had lock-ins for the locals almost every night because the landlord was a mason and the cops would ring ahead if they were planning a raid. Still, worth a try.

I was given a carton of Peroni, Nastro Azzuro many years ago by a wine society for buying a carton of wine and have been on the stuff since.

It is now distributed by Coke and so the price is reasonable too. When I was first on it, I was paying aaround the $60.00 mark. Now you can often get it for $40.00 with the other imported beers.

I have had the Chimay blue at the belgian beer cafe. I think it was $12.00? I hope I am thinking of the right colour, I know there is a handfull, and I have tried them all, well the three under $20.00 at the BBCafe's

Peroni, Nastro Azzuro is my regular drop.

You should also try Peroni Grande Reserve ....

Edited by Silver Surfer

Shepherd neame "Spitfire" ale. I was working for them in kent when it was released in 1990 and grew very attached to the malty, rich flavour. The fact that it was 5.2% compared to the normal "Masterbrew" that weighed in at 3.5% may also have had something to do with it. Seems to have dropped in alcohol since then. down to 4.5%. You can get it in bottles here ~$8.00 I tried it a while back and it doesn't seem to be quite as good as I remember. This too may be due to the fact the pub I worked for had lock-ins for the locals almost every night because the landlord was a mason and the cops would ring ahead if they were planning a raid. Still, worth a try.

Hehehe I love these ads...

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/index.htm

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/cartoons.htm

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/comic/index.php

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/press_ads/press2004.htm

http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/advertising/tv_ads/tv2002.htm

You would love a T shirt I have. A comic had staropramen as a supervillain.

http://shatnr.com/forums/members/694/

as for hefe's

http://www.goats.com/archive/980927.html

Belgian beers are sold heavily in NSW through Dan Murphy, in Brisbane there is a bottle shop that has an excellent range on Charlotte street in the city. Up where you are, I dunno. Maybe get a pilot to bring some in :)

Chimay do (for export) red white and blue. Red is a double and a little dissappointing, blue is rum and raisin pirate beer and the white is an extremely hoppy triple.

Triples are one of my favoutire styles of beer but they vary massively. To try a trippel as it should be get yourself a nice trippel karmeliet. That is one hell of a beer. Sold at most of the belgian beer cafes and they normally have the right glass. They also sell it too damn cold so buy it 20 minutes before you intend to start drinking it (which is the case for all heavy beers at belgian beer cafes, even the branded ones in belgium do this just not as bad, really is a travesty).

I was drinking with the captain of the drinking team from some brussels university and this was one thing we both got very angry about. It brings down the reputation of their amazing beers when it is so cold you can't taste it.

Oh and the guy from old speckled hen left a few years back and started black sheep if I remember correctly. Black sheep is good, the hen has lost some of it's malt I think, you may have noticed it lost the name of theakston on the bottle, he is the brewer.

I will try it next time in stead of the nastro azzuro.

Has anyone tried Tooheys Extra Dry, Platinum? I like TED's but platinum is just wrong... :wacko:

If you like the grand reserve peroni you might want to try dogbolter. Made by matilda brewing (redback etc). Very hard to find but a similar type of beer except more so, both of them are a kind of foreigners take on a double bock I think, dogboler heads towards the molasses more so than the grabs reserve.

Or, if you are feeling rich, stump up the cash and wait the weeks of delivery for a case of aventinus. Sweet lord save me but that is a beautiful beer. Reinheitsgebot can go stuff itself. Stupid tax laws destroying beer.

Oh and matilda are putting out stuff under the mad brewers tag. These can be interesting beers. I had a saisson of theirs few months back. Sebastian I think it was called (after their duck) wildly zesty flavour. Still don't even know if I like it. Yeasty and fruity and just flat out balls to the wall exciting. Not quite as sour as a gueuze but definitely stepping that way.

I remember when The Dog was on tap (and brewed on site) at The Sail and Anchor in Fremantle around America's Cup defence (1987). Haven't seen it on tap in years.

mcquen's brown ale or maybe it was scotch ale, was a nice drop, i remember a guy hated beer, could stomach that stuff and drink lots of it. spose when its free you tend to drink more. nice malty flavor and kicked like a mule. mmm beer , must go get some brit imported beer for australia day.

McEwens Scotch Ale. Top Drop. http://beeradvocate....ofile/342/1275/

Haven't seen it around. I don't know if they still make it.

http://www.beerstore....asp?beerID=524

Looks like that is available, whether it is really the same thing i open for discussion.

Edit, not open for discussion at all, not even close, must be getting tired. bed soon.

Edited by tor

I tried Boags and Carlsberg the other day. The Boags was alright, it's sort of got a sweetish taste about it I suppose, the Carlsberg was kind of crap imo, it had no body, it was a bit like drinking water with a few herbs in it or something, I still don't think much of euro beers, or any other beer for that matter, except maybe Tooheys Dry if you're trying to please as many people as possible and Corona with a lemon squished in the top for a really really hot day, I still prefer my VB.

:D

The delicate aroma and earthy taste bring me back again and again....

Victoria%20Bitter%20-direkt%20nach%20Haake%20Beck%21.jpg

and sometimes you even get a free toy - just like a happy meal.

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY YER PONCY POSH BEER DRINKERS!!!

Yes, HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY !

No OS beer today, only local ...

flickr-3424091933-image.jpg

Nice to see a fellow VB man.

They can't say that people drink it because it's cheap anymore. $46 a case!

If you want cheap you have to go for that Tasman Bitter, which is owned by Coles and so you can only get it at Liquorland, last time I bought it it was about $30 a case, pretty bad though, when I poured it into a glass it was half froth and the beer itself was all watery.

Edited by Sacamento