Easy Tiger

Housing issues at my Workplace

51 posts in this topic

Housing issues at my workplace.

The other day whilst shooting the breeze at work one of my co-workers said that he'd be 75 by the time he paid off his house (assumption by me - current level of pay & current level of payments). Quite worried about his future

I asked around some of the other guys. One 50 year old currently rents. I asked him what his plan was regarding when he retires. He has none and confessed that he is very worried.

My closest co-worker owns his own home but his wife earns 3 times what he does. Not worried about his future

Another guy lives in a housing commission home that he and his wife got into when it was first built. He pays a percentage of his household income as rent. All repairs are carried out by the state government. His wife was able to be a stay-at-home mum. When he retires I'm assuming that his rent will be a percentage of the pension. Not worried about his future in the least.

The youngest at work is like myself and trying to save a deposit. Unfortunately he thought that $5k would be enough. He hasn't got a lot of knowledge about the market but is good with his money. His Grandmother is in housing commission and he first said that this was an option for him until he admitted that his other grandparent on his mothers side has been on the housing commission waiting list for 10 years. It was pointed out to him that his chances of getting housing commission place were slim at best. He's not even on the wait list. Not worried about his future (got plenty of work years ahead of him)

Another guy at work rents but is has the intention to buy his own place for cash. As I understand it he wheels and deals 24/7 and has been for quite some time. I have nothing to do with him but I should imagine - He's not concerned about his future.

Then there is the guy who works there because he's bored. Owns multiple properties. Nice position to be in.

I don't know if all this means anything. But there seems to be a lot of stress regarding housing at my work.

There is no housing stress at my place. There is commuting stress. Australians don't have the capacity to relate the two.

There is no housing stress at my place. There is commuting stress. Australians don't have the capacity to relate the two.

A house is a house is a house is a dwelling

WE have too many dwellings. WE have empty dwellings on census night. We have 2.1 people per dwelling. I saw 2.1 people walking 1.3 dogs past a vacant dwelling.

I'm going slightly mad.

Our workplace is in the kitchen so we don't have commuting stress. We have lack of bedrooms stress. 4.3 people and a large pile of computers in a 3 bedroom cottage. Fortunately there is a (relatively) cheap way out of this situation, so unsurprisingly we are taking it.

There is definite uneasiness at my workplace about what is coming.

I know 4 people who bought during the last 12 months all with mum and dads help (equity mate) and all with the first home owners grant.

When I mentioned I don't want to buy they said I was crazy etc, however I said that:

1) If i couldn't afford a property @ 8-10% interest rates I wouldn't buy.

2) Australia's property is overvalued (compared to what it has been in the past).

3) I would rather save the difference for 30+ years and when I retire have a couple of hundred k in the bank.

I got all the rhetoric about being better off if I bought/what am I going to do when I retire/if I don't buy know i will never be able to afford a house etc.

What I found interesting/disturbing however was the fact that not one of these 4 (or 10 or so more couples) had factored in 8-10% interest rates.

They basically said "interest rates will not climb this high, if they do then i know alot of couples who will have to sell".

Surely people are not that dumb/know that interest rates are at historic lows don't they?

I don't know if all this means anything. But there seems to be a lot of stress regarding housing at my work.

1) It's not home ownership but (low) net worth that gets people worried. Too many disregard net worth....

2) Most Aussies are worried about weight (& sex life) issues still: http://www.news.com.au/national/aussies-worry-most-about-weight-in-the-bedroom/story-e6frfkvr-1225818148798

There is definite uneasiness at my workplace about what is coming.

I know 4 people who bought during the last 12 months all with mum and dads help (equity mate) and all with the first home owners grant.

When I mentioned I don't want to buy they said I was crazy etc, however I said that:

1) If i couldn't afford a property @ 8-10% interest rates I wouldn't buy.

2) Australia's property is overvalued (compared to what it has been in the past).

3) I would rather save the difference for 30+ years and when I retire have a couple of hundred k in the bank.

I got all the rhetoric about being better off if I bought/what am I going to do when I retire/if I don't buy know i will never be able to afford a house etc.

What I found interesting/disturbing however was the fact that not one of these 4 (or 10 or so more couples) had factored in 8-10% interest rates.

They basically said "interest rates will not climb this high, if they do then i know alot of couples who will have to sell".

Surely people are not that dumb/know that interest rates are at historic lows don't they?

I get chastised the same way.

The worst is when it is a 40 something who bought in say the mid 90s who has cleaned up and they tell you, you are mad not to buy. Yes it was a big plunge for them the 150k odd back in the 90s!

I just grin and say yeh. There is not much else you can do I find.

Edit: I have no issue with 40 year olds I am only 8 years off that myself, my issue is the attitude that realestate prices now are as they always have been and the next 15 years will be like the last!

Our workplace is in the kitchen so we don't have commuting stress. We have lack of bedrooms stress. 4.3 people and a large pile of computers in a 3 bedroom cottage. Fortunately there is a (relatively) cheap way out of this situation, so unsurprisingly we are taking it.

Try living with the same number of people in a 2 bedroom flat on a main road at $400 a week rent.

Yes, that's Sydney living for you in 2010.

Welcome to hell.

Try living with the same number of people in a 2 bedroom flat on a main road at $400 a week rent.

Yes, that's Sydney living for you in 2010.

Welcome to hell.

You should have fired me your resume. It could have helped out with that.

I get chastised the same way.

The worst is when it is a 40 something who bought in say the mid 90s who has cleaned up and they tell you, you are mad not to buy. Yes it was a big plunge for them the 150k odd back in the 90s!

I just grin and say yeh. There is not much else you can do I find.

Edit: I have no issue with 40 year olds I am only 8 years off that myself, my issue is the attitude that realestate prices now are as they always have been and the next 15 years will be like the last!

I'm in a similar boat, although I tend to give the silly sods a tongue lashing and history lesson that generally shuts them up when they start.

Rates have peaked over 10% THREE times in the last 30 years alone. I make a very solid point of this to those who discuss costs and it tends to get their minds ticking over.

I work with a lot of Gen Y's and they know I follow this kind of thing pretty closely, having spent a solid 10+ years on the sidelines as a priced out FHB. Whilst my slant is obviously bearish, I try to ensure they are kept in the loop on the real story ie historic rates and indexes and this has helped these youngsters form a more educated conclusion.

As such, many of them have decided to sit back and save and wait.

I thought you had 2 kids not 3?

3 kids in one bedroom would suck mightily. I'm not even sure how you'd get all the furniture in, unless they're still in cots. You can't put little ones in bunk beds. Only way we're sensibly getting 2 in one room is with a cot and a bassinette, some serious cupboard sharing and making some pram parking space in the kitchen. And we need more chairs in there so we're running out of floor space already.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a bigger house dammit :crybaby:

*sits back and waits impatiently for the plumber that is holding us back from starting to build a bigger house*

3 kids in one bedroom would suck mightily. I'm not even sure how you'd get all the furniture in, unless they're still in cots. You can't put little ones in bunk beds. Only way we're sensibly getting 2 in one room is with a cot and a bassinette, some serious cupboard sharing and making some pram parking space in the kitchen. And we need more chairs in there so we're running out of floor space already.

When the Marx Brothers were young the five brothers slept in a single bed. One bed!

I thought you had 2 kids not 3?

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a bigger house dammit :crybaby:

*sits back and waits impatiently for the plumber that is holding us back from starting to build a bigger house*

2 kids only, but it's still tiny.

The kids have literally 3 feet of space between their beds and that's about it. Literally the width of their tallboy for their clothes and a toybox each at the end of their bed, then it's about 1-2 feet to the built ins. If the kids want to play in their room, they generally do so on their bed - there's just no room otherwise, else they play in the loungeroom (no backyard either).

Meanwhile, 2 doors up we have an older couple living in their 4 bedroom house. No kids anymore (they had 2 and they moved away some time back), they bought it back in the 70s for under 3x their income and liked the area, so decided to stay there and not downsize.

You can imagine the looks they get from us when they ask us why the kids are at the park so regularly, instead of playing at home...

When the Marx Brothers were young the five brothers slept in a single bed. One bed!

Back in the day kids played outside, parents worked outside, and noone spent any time indoors. When the kids came in at bedtime they were worn out. And kids were thinner back then - I don't think you could fit 5 modern children in a single bed today ;)

Now jobs are indoors, people want to watch television and play computer games, most toys are indoor ones not outdoor ones, everyone is afraid of skin cancer and being kidnapped by paedophiles, so modern houses are enormous and take up the entire block. Its a lifestyle thing. You'd probably get done for child abuse trying to make kid share beds today. In a few years you'll get done for making them share Nintendos. Or bathrooms.

My mother also likes to point out that people used to raise kids in smaller houses than ours, but given that our house is a carbon copy of every other 1900s house in this area (there's a lot) and is the smallest model, you'd be pushing to find a smaller 3br. People also had kids much closer together back in the day and you could just shove them all in one room without worrying that your 10yo might be pissed off at sharing with a screaming baby and can't concentrate on her homework.

Actually our main issue is really simple, we moved from a big house to a small house and have big furniture so nothing fits. And I refuse to sell perfectly good furniture for $20 secondhand and buy it again for $1000 when I can just whinge while I'm waiting for the beaurocracy machine to do its thing and let me build a bigger house. If I thought I'd be trapped here forever we would have sold all the furniture and bought interesting Ikea stuff to save space by now - but there's a way onwards and upwards without sacrificing the mammoth red leather lounge so I'm taking it!

Yeah what a terrible risk for you to take.

Giving my personal information to the likes of you isn't a risk?

Tor... seriously, please give me a little credit!

Giving my personal information to the likes of you isn't a risk?

Tor... seriously, please give me a little credit!

Right right. Oh well continue complaining then I guess.

Right right. Oh well continue complaining then I guess.

Tor, seriously - what the hell are you trying to imply?

That because I refuse to hand over my personal information to one of the biggest assholes I've met online, I have no right to take issue with my living circumstances?

wtf-cat.jpg

Tor, seriously - what the hell are you trying to imply?

That because I refuse to hand over my personal information to one of the biggest assholes I've met online, I have no right to take issue with my living circumstances?

Sure sure go nuts, do whatever you want to do, stab the boomers, worship the people that went to war, spit in the face of the landlords, bitch about being a white guy in IT that can't make it because the man is getting him down, rant and rave, you're awesome and don't let anyone tell you different and don't let them change you either, keep yourself real man and remember it is always someone else's fault.

Pfft like it would be that hard to find your personal details if I really cared.

Sure sure go nuts, do whatever you want to do, stab the boomers, worship the people that went to war, spit in the face of the landlords, bitch about being a white guy in IT that can't make it because the man is getting him down, rant and rave, you're awesome and don't let anyone tell you different and don't let them change you either, keep yourself real man and remember it is always someone else's fault.

Pfft like it would be that hard to find your personal details if I really cared.

....and you still can't work out why you'd be the last person I'd ask for help?

You're too busy looking down your nose at someone you deem an unworthy whiner in one breath, but want to bring said person salvation with your sagely advice with another?

Call me a jaded cynic if you will Tor, but after the discussions we've had in the past, well let's just say that my lack of faith in your intentions are hardly unjustified.

It's like kicking a dog for a year and then suddenly wondering why when you try to hand it a scooby snack, it turns around and bites you on the fingers.... then you blaming the dog, saying it's crazy.

I think you get the idea?

:rolleyes:

I feel a bit sorry for the women who are around 30ish, at least if you're a bloke you can ride it out for a few years and still have kids in your 40s or even 50s.

It's one of the reasons why I find specufestors and this system so damned evil and find it beyond belief how they can justify themselves. Bad enough that it's me but they're f*cking over mothers and children. Not just skanky bitches who bred to get the welfare but nice people who want to do it properly.

Such a shame that most of this generation gen y and x are such dribbling f*cktards when it comes to the broader political picture and that we couldn't band together and fight it. Most of them were more interested in where their next cheap f*ck was coming from or the latest idiotic doof song. MORONS. :lol:

....and you still can't work out why you'd be the last person I'd ask for help?

You're too busy looking down your nose at someone you deem an unworthy whiner in one breath, but want to bring said person salvation with your sagely advice with another?

Call me a jaded cynic if you will Tor, but after the discussions we've had in the past, well let's just say that my lack of faith in your intentions are hardly unjustified.

It's like kicking a dog for a year and then suddenly wondering why when you try to hand it a scooby snack, it turns around and bites you on the fingers.... then you blaming the dog, saying it's crazy.

I think you get the idea?

:rolleyes:

Sure sure, tell your wife you made the choice to ignore a job offer because the boss is a c**t. I am sure she'll agree.

Ain't offering sagely advice, have been offering jobs, you're only another one of the people bitching and moaning and not taking the jobs.

I don't care how much a wanker the boss is, if my life sucks and I need cash I go take his cash.

So if have to see why you are a jaded cynic, you have to see why I think you are too hung up on your ideas of what you deserve and who should be doing what to bother figuring out how to get what you want.

Personally if I hated the way I had to bring my kids up due to a lack of funds I would swallow my pride and get some f*cking money. I guess we differ.

I think my way works better, you've been bitching about this for 4 years now?

When you said you had quit the ambos or whatever noble job and you had to sell out and do the IT thing I thought you might actually try and sell out. Obviously you decided to maintain your reasons for bitching instead.

Good plan!