tor

Cheap and Easy

29 posts in this topic

There is a new (to me anyway) product in woolworths Chop Chop Chicken (http://www.daviesfoods.co.nz/Chop-Chop-Chicken.html).

I have always been a bit jealous of people that like tuna because they have the little tins of tuna for a buck which with a roll / rice / veges / pasta makes a very cheap and easy lunch.

Now we non fish eaters have an answer. Tried one today on a roll with some sprouts. Worked well (eating it now)

1 tin did 3 small rolls at a cost of about 1.50 for the chicken.

Runs at about 20% protein which is slightly better than the flavoured tinned tuna.

Thanks tor for that link. I'll definitely have a look for it next time I'm at the supermarket. It'll make a nice change to get my protein from something other than kanga-banga's, creamed cheese and whey protein isolate :thumbsup:

LENTILS

SPAWN OF SATAN!!

For your penitence get thee to the recipes thread and post a recipe for lentils which makes them edible, doesn't have to be tasty, just plain edible will do :)

Aldi introduced the tuna cans at $0.59 per can years ago. Other manufacturers introduced their ranges in competitor markets. The prices went up. They are now a total ripoff. Aldi reformulated their recipe. I stopped buying them.

Is it real chicken or real chicken balls and spleen and lower intestine. At least you can't fake tuna. Well not yet. I'll eat Tuna maybe once a week but it get's boring very quickly and end up on the ham or chicken there after.

Is it real chicken or real chicken balls and spleen and lower intestine. At least you can't fake tuna. Well not yet. I'll eat Tuna maybe once a week but it get's boring very quickly and end up on the ham or chicken there after.

Chicken balls are just as real as tuna balls.

The can said it was breast and it seemed stringy enough to be that.

For me I don't care too much. Tastes okay and have eaten worse than chicken arse.

In fact I think chicken arse (the parsons nose) is actually my third bit to eat after the two oysters.

I know tuna cheeks are highly sought after, never heard anyone say tuna arse rocks though...

This isn't exactly a product/s, more of a recipe for a cheap and easy base cookie dough.

Easy Cookies

500g butter, softened

1 tin sweetened condensed milk

5 cups of plain flour

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Mix ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or clean hands until it reaches an even consistency. Place biscuits on non-stick paper on biscuit tray. Cook with any additions you like.

These make great jam drop biscuits. Sometimes I add 1/2 cup coconut, some vanilla extract and m&m's, Or lemon zest with sugared tops. You can use self raising flour if you want, but make the cookies smaller and be prepared for them to rise. I leave cookie dough in the fridge in a roll in plastic film then just cut out what I need in slices. The dough is also fine in the freezer. If you don't have butter, margarine will do. I have made these with homemade butter and homemade sweetened condensed milk and they tasted great.

Makes about 40 - 50.

I

This isn't exactly a product/s, more of a recipe for a cheap and easy base cookie dough.

Easy Cookies

500g butter, softened

1 tin sweetened condensed milk

5 cups of plain flour

Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Mix ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon or clean hands until it reaches an even consistency. Place biscuits on non-stick paper on biscuit tray. Cook with any additions you like.

These make great jam drop biscuits. Sometimes I add 1/2 cup coconut, some vanilla extract and m&m's, Or lemon zest with sugared tops. You can use self raising flour if you want, but make the cookies smaller and be prepared for them to rise. I leave cookie dough in the fridge in a roll in plastic film then just cut out what I need in slices. The dough is also fine in the freezer. If you don't have butter, margarine will do. I have made these with homemade butter and homemade sweetened condensed milk and they tasted great.

Makes about 40 - 50.

I

This recipe is better with a bootload of vanilla added, and then left overnight in the fridge before cooking. (vanilla paste is best).

Feeds crowds, without them being aware they are being treated like crowds.

Definitely more than the sum of it's parts.

The tarka might make a difference but I am not rushing off to try making it. Maybe in autumn.

Tarka? TARKA? B-b-b-but - Tarka was an otter...

Tarka? TARKA? B-b-b-but - Tarka was an otter...

I'll often add some aquatic weasels if they are in season. Mostly I make do with water rats. They do tend give the dhal a bit of zing!

This recipe is better with a bootload of vanilla added, and then left overnight in the fridge before cooking. (vanilla paste is best).

Feeds crowds, without them being aware they are being treated like crowds.

Definitely more than the sum of it's parts.

A tsp or two of vanilla is usually enough for us in one batch. I like vanilla extract because the kids just didn't appreciate vanilla paste when I bought it. If I bake this without chilling the dough, I find the tops are paler than the bottoms, and I check if they're done by inspecting the bottoms. Chilling the dough means I can always cook them at a moment's notice. I just pull some from the freezer and defrost in the fridge. It's a very simple recipe.

If you like the lemon zest idea, whip the zest into the butter, and you will find the biscuits have better flavour. You could add any flavourings you liked to it, though. Cocoa powder, honey, oats, choc chips, nuts...

Cheap food.

When you buy a pumpkin, take the seeds out.

Clean them up, then let them dry.

Coat them in olive oil, garlic and salt.

Roast them in the oven until they are slightly golden brown.

Enjoy with a brew.

Cheap and Easy Icecream

Ingredients:

1 bag of frozen fruit. (I've used strawberries, mangoes, bananas. Whatever you've got in your freezer that would make a nice icecream flavour.)

2/3 cup of thickened cream

1/2 cup sugar (Caster sugar works best, but you can use regular white.)

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Method:

Throw it all in the food processor and blitz until it all reaches ice cream consistency.

That's it. Eat and enjoy. Serves about 5.

You've probably got all the ingredients in your freezer and fridge. Try it out.

Oh. This one will be coming back into rotation soon I think (the girlfriend loves it).

Turn on ice cream machine

Pour in coke

Sit back and wait

SLUSHY!!!

Oh. This one will be coming back into rotation soon I think (the girlfriend loves it).

Turn on ice cream machine

Pour in coke

Sit back and wait

SLUSHY!!!

Something my kids made after I made them a regular "spider" which they'd never seen before.

Add 1 part coke to 3 parts vanilla or Chocolate icecream (slowly, as it will go everywhere) and whip into a homogeneous slush with a kitchen whizz or similar.

I dunno what you'd call it, but it's certainly different,... the chocolate icecream variant is really quite edible (drinkable) even better made with rich chocolate Gelati.

Edited by Popeye

Simplicity. I can't do it. I have nothing to offer.

Toast with a red wine jus is as close as get.

Weird, reading back through the thread I saw what actually started it. Chop chop is now one of about 5 or 6 brands doing the same thing. What is really annoying (to me) is that the different brands do the cans different ways up. So they are stackable but half will be upside down which makes it a bit hard to read.

Not as bad as tomatoes of course where, for some reason, whole tomatoes in a tin are often not stackable whereas chopped tomatoes almost invariably are.

Man that gets me angry. I can't even think why they wouldn't be stackable, it can't be cheaper and I assume the tomatoes are probably processed in the same plants for a given brand whether chopped or whole.

Not as bad as tomatoes of course where, for some reason, whole tomatoes in a tin are often not stackable whereas chopped tomatoes almost invariably are.

Man that gets me angry. I can't even think why they wouldn't be stackable, it can't be cheaper and I assume the tomatoes are probably processed in the same plants for a given brand whether chopped or whole.

Meh. Buy them buy the case when they are on sale, and they come pre-stacked...

(Actually it took me a second or two to work out how come I wasn't obsessing over the stackability of cans also - and that's why!)

Simplicity. I can't do it. I have nothing to offer.

+1

Read this thread with some interest, convinced I'd have a lot to add... but it turns out everything I do has way too many steps/ingredients to be classed as genuinely simple.

I'm willing to trade (strategically applied) effort for expense, though, so not everything I make costs a lot.

Cheap and easy? Well, that's me!

All my significant contributions to the recipe thread are cheap and easy. I am especially proud of the recipes for "les haricots sur pain grillé" and oatmeal porridge.