tor

Grocery bills

78 posts in this topic

Most of us live in a vacuum of information, if the stats came out saying the average australian spent $300 a week or $3000 a week on groceries we would mostly be none the wiser because none of us (or in fact anyone) is the average australian.

So we don't know if we are lady penelope feeling good about saving $30 on caviar or steptoe saving 1p on rags.

So what does it cost to live in a manner you find comfortable? I assume here most of us are happy with what we are doing and may have separate goals or savings dreams but obviously no one is going absolutely screaming balls to the wall saving because we are paying for internet access.

I am not a great example because I live a sybaritic life paying for a million and a half different animals that want food (have you seen how much a couple kookaburras and butcher birds eat? it is like $20 of mince a week! through in a possum and a few wallabies and the fruit bill again gets silly).

Plus I only eat once a day or so but consume stupid amounts of alcohol however most booze is home consumed.

I spend about $350 a week on groceries, fruit and veges and about the same on alcohol for two adults plus assorted animals (they get no booze).

weekly costs

$170 rent

$14 electricity and water

$2 internet

$0.50 phone

$30 food

$40 car (incl petrol, registration, service and insurance)

Rent: 400 pw

Elecricity/Gas 25 pw

Internet/phone 30 pw

Car (including repairs and insurance/rego) 50 pw

Food (including takeaways) 300 pw

Booze 300 pw (mostly wine)

Gadgets 80 pw

2 Adults one small feline

Hrm, I worked this out somewhere but can never remember where I put it and it keeps changing anyway

Mortgage about $100pw

Electricity about $30pw

House insurance $12pw

Rates $12pw

Net/phone $35pw

Water < $2pw

Car about $70pw (P plate driver really pushes up our insurance)

Groceries about $200pw including nappies and wipes (we don't buy these locally)

High maintainance other half about $150pw which is really impacting on our ability to save

Leaving out various business and IP related nonsense although realistically this is hard to separate

2 adults, 2 small people, cat seems to have disappeared :(

Basically we spend around half of what comes in on essentials and the rest goes on Stuff.

I have no idea actually.

It costs what it costs, I make plenty of money.

I could not actually tell you how much a litre of milk is nor do I care.

It costs what it costs, I make plenty of money.

I could not actually tell you how much a litre of milk is nor do I care.

Ah, we have to watch what we spend as we are trying so hard to save up for this damn house - ironically something that someone on a higher income would just walk into the bank and get a loan for and end up with far less in repayments than we are squirreling away in savings, and could thus spend a lot more on groceries. All comes back to housing in the end.

And milk is $4 for 3 litres, which is about a day's supply ... as I just had to explain to my parents, who had 2x 1 litre cartons of milk set aside for us visiting for 3 days.

I stopped drinking anything but tap water unless somebody else pays for it. I make use of the work fridge for the vitamin and calcium boost. The prices for juices and milk are outrageous.

For two people:

p/w

$300 Rent

$30? Electricity and water, no gas (NFI to be honest)

$100-150? Grocerices (NFI to be honest)

$60 Public Transport

$30 Internet, phone, etc.

These figures do not include irregular costs like clothing, education and medical treatment... how expensive is dental work in Australia!

Health insurance for one is $50/month - not sure if that counts as I think my tax saving should cover it. No car. No booze. No ciggies. Only recently got hooked up with an Internet connection. Mr and Mrs Medved only eat two meals a day so food bills are not too bad. I typically drink water and the missus typically drinks tea... pretty cheap. There are some costs associated with gardening but they're not all that regular... the payback is worth it for fresh produce. We're frugal but happy to spend money when there is ample value.

I think Tor poses a worthwhile challenge to sit down & work out exactly where all your money goes, even if the results scare you :) . But if it lets you identify some area of waste that could save you handreds or even thousands of dollars, it would be time well spent.

I remember trying to work out what my grocery bill (single living alone) was about 18 months ago, and it came to something like $70-$80 pw, and my rent is $250pw, so that's $330 gone immediately, so I just need to figure out what I'm spending on everything else now.

The most difficult thing I think will be working out what I spend on booze and eating out on average, but I know it's significant, and generally a lot more than my grocery bill, sometimes more than my rent if it's a big week :o . For a start I spend $32 pw just on a couple of coffees a day when I'm at work.

Apart from the grog, I think I'm relatively frugal, I don't buy much 'stuff', and I never go into debt to pay for things, and I keep them till they more or less need to be replaced eg, my computer is 5 yrs old. Still, will be interesting to see exactly how frugal I am, or if need to do more to live up to my Scottish heritage :)

I think Tor poses a worthwhile challenge to sit down & work out exactly where all your money goes...

If anyone is interested I have a SQL database with an access front end which, in my currently munificent mood, I am happy to give copies away of.

Basic feature set:

• Account balances (Accounts can be as detailed as groceries, power bills, individual bank accounts or just bank accounts, cash, up to you. I do mine to track to the cent all movements but I do have a "misc expenditure" for just stuff I buy)
  • Accounts grouped by type (expenses, income etc) so you can see what your monthly expenses / weekly income etc are
  • Planned Bills
  • Planned Savings / Investments
  • Investment costs / returns
  • Task management (for invoicing / timesheeting purposes)
  • Invoicing including unpaid invoices and auto Tax and GST liability provisioning
  • BAS calculations
  • Import of Westpac bank statements
  • Rent to Purchase calculator (works out what your maximum urchase price is based on your savings and rent and also your maximum purchase price is based on how much rent you pay)
  • Running weekly totals and annuals sum and average of the Account groups (I use Investment returns, Wages, Income, Expenses, Earned Savings, Total Savings, Net Worth, Liabilities)

Reports for:

• Asset Allocation
  • Net Worth by Calendar Year.
  • Net Worth by week for current year
  • Home Loan payments
  • Weekly effective rent (where mortgage interest counts as rent), capital payments

It is distinctly lacking in some areas of friendliness so basic ability to type directly into SQL tables and really basic VB knowledge would be a bit of a prerequisite if you wanted to use any of the advanced features. It is all very open code and very simplistic though so it ought to be easy enough for someone that doesn't even know if they have Access installed on their machine, hell a networking guy worked out how to use it, if a network guy do it anyone can ;)

It will run happily on the free version of SQL Server and uses Access 2007.

Anyone interested PM me and I'll send you a copy. It'll take me a few hours to cleanse my data but leave enough so that start up is obvious enough and figure out how a fresh set up works again but I have given it to people in the past so it will be a fairly straight forward refresh of my memory.

If enough people are interested and RE is okay with it I'll start a thread with the 2 files attached and go through a basic tutorial followed by each question anyone has on various bits.

Might actually give me the impetus to fix certain bits that annoy me in a trivial way (badly sized forms etc).

The fact that I had to look up what SQL was, probably indicates that it may be of limited use for me :huh: , but thanks for the offer.

The fact that I had to look up what SQL was, probably indicates that it may be of limited use for me :huh: , but thanks for the offer.

it stands for squeal. the sound i make whenever i see the absurd prices people are willing to pay for rundown termite-infested shacks in canberra :P

dunno what it has to do with budgeting tho.

If anyone is interested I have a SQL database with an access front end which, in my currently munificent mood, I am happy to give copies away of.

Basic feature set:

• Account balances (Accounts can be as detailed as groceries, power bills, individual bank accounts or just bank accounts, cash, up to you. I do mine to track to the cent all movements but I do have a "misc expenditure" for just stuff I buy)
  • Accounts grouped by type (expenses, income etc) so you can see what your monthly expenses / weekly income etc are
  • Planned Bills
  • Planned Savings / Investments
  • Investment costs / returns
  • Task management (for invoicing / timesheeting purposes)
  • Invoicing including unpaid invoices and auto Tax and GST liability provisioning
  • BAS calculations
  • Import of Westpac bank statements
  • Rent to Purchase calculator (works out what your maximum urchase price is based on your savings and rent and also your maximum purchase price is based on how much rent you pay)
  • Running weekly totals and annuals sum and average of the Account groups (I use Investment returns, Wages, Income, Expenses, Earned Savings, Total Savings, Net Worth, Liabilities)

Reports for:

• Asset Allocation
  • Net Worth by Calendar Year.
  • Net Worth by week for current year
  • Home Loan payments
  • Weekly effective rent (where mortgage interest counts as rent), capital payments

It is distinctly lacking in some areas of friendliness so basic ability to type directly into SQL tables and really basic VB knowledge would be a bit of a prerequisite if you wanted to use any of the advanced features. It is all very open code and very simplistic though so it ought to be easy enough for someone that doesn't even know if they have Access installed on their machine, hell a networking guy worked out how to use it, if a network guy do it anyone can ;)

It will run happily on the free version of SQL Server and uses Access 2007.

Anyone interested PM me and I'll send you a copy. It'll take me a few hours to cleanse my data but leave enough so that start up is obvious enough and figure out how a fresh set up works again but I have given it to people in the past so it will be a fairly straight forward refresh of my memory.

If enough people are interested and RE is okay with it I'll start a thread with the 2 files attached and go through a basic tutorial followed by each question anyone has on various bits.

Might actually give me the impetus to fix certain bits that annoy me in a trivial way (badly sized forms etc).

Generous offer but... meh.

In keeping with the frugal theme, I have kept a track of all outgoings for each day jotted in on a free calendar that came with, dunno, something. This has the advantage of being very immediate and low-tech - it is filled in at the end of each day, in biro, prior to switching out the light. It's become a habit and also acts as a brake during the day - 'do I really want to have to write this [expenditure] down?'.

I keep weekly totals of grocery costs and also of overall outgoings, and monthly totals, as well as running totals for various expenses of interest. Costs nothing and is easy and informative once you get the habit.

FYI, our grocery costs for four are a shade over $250 per week, up about 5% from the beginning of the year, due more to increases in costs than lifestyle changes. We eat very well indeed, and rarely eat out.

Go for it, but dunno how many people will use it :) We run mysql locally and on the webhost, not sql, will it work with that?

Christmas has screwed up our budget. Besides a sudden rush of cash-in-hand* work and chrissy pressie money, plus all the household bills falling due several weeks *before* christmas, I haven't used my little plastic card for weeks. Its fantastic! :D

*it still goes into the bas statements

Go for it, but dunno how many people will use it :) We run mysql locally and on the webhost, not sql, will it work with that?

Christmas has screwed up our budget. Besides a sudden rush of cash-in-hand* work and chrissy pressie money, plus all the household bills falling due several weeks *before* christmas, I haven't used my little plastic card for weeks. Its fantastic! :D

*it still goes into the bas statements

No one seems interested so won't bother.

I doubt it would work with mysql, from memory they followed the oracle path for stored procs.

tor I highly respect the offer. It is just that I believe if my affairs get so complex that they require a database to keep track off then I ought to simplify my affairs. My life is so simple I keep the tally in my head. I make one withdrawal a month and I make the funds last one month.

tor I highly respect the offer. It is just that I believe if my affairs get so complex that they require a database to keep track off then I ought to simplify my affairs. My life is so simple I keep the tally in my head. I make one withdrawal a month and I make the funds last one month.

hehe I just do it because I like making pretty graphs.

And of course my grand scheme of integrating my accounts DB, recipes DB and groceries DB and pushing it to my phone so it tells me what to buy at the supermarket.

And of course my grand scheme of integrating my accounts DB, recipes DB and groceries DB and pushing it to my phone so it tells me what to buy at the supermarket.

Reminds me of the saying - to a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

To a DBA, everything looks like a database problem :rolleyes:

I have a dated version of my budget in a text file somewhere because someone keeps stealing my actual paper notepads. Have to redo it this year, we're changing advertising strategy and that is going to be a LOT cheaper. Unless fridge magnets turn out to be horribly expensive. I haven't actually got as far as getting a quote for some fridge magnets, I just think they're cool and want a bunch to give away.

...To a DBA, everything looks like a database problem :rolleyes:

We prefer to think that most problems are just information problems and whoops I happen to know how to store your information :)

hehe I just do it because I like making pretty graphs.

I can't make use of those either. My grocery list is pretty much confined to "pasta, cheese and ketchup". As strange as it sounds my recipe list looks exactly the same. I grant myself the weekly Saturday lotto as a treat.

We prefer to think that most problems are just information problems

I totally agree with you. People look for problems where none exist. Life could be full of bliss if we were in charge.

We prefer to think that most problems are just information problems and whoops I happen to know how to store your information :)

I've been spring cleaning. All my information is (was) stored in large plastic boxes in the kitchen.

In the process of moving it to the garbage bin shaped storage device out the back ^_^

No one seems interested so won't bother.

It sounds like a beuty.

My wife did record our spending in detail at one stage but gave it away after a couple of weeks and our lifestyle was quite different then to what it is now.

I could not give a breakdown on where we spend our money except to say we put away the same savings every month and the difference is clearly what we spend and looking at it now it is not pretty. I might take it up with her in the morning. . . . . . . . . . not.

My personal cunning kick is $1600.00 per month, but this is for mostly discretionary items but does include lunches and fuel for my car, basically everything my wife is not there with me to pay. Used to include cigerretes too, but I don't want to call it that I have quit just yet like last time... I guess that could mean another $50.00 per week saved :huh:

The remainder of my pay goes to her and she deals with it and puts aside the savings at the start of the pay month in U bank. The rest is spent or saved for short term goals like holidays and the like.

I used to be methodical in writing down every last penny as a student, and managed to live on 85GBP/ week (of which 45 was rent).

Today I have just added up that across purchase and maintenance of 4 cars in the last 16 months we have spent $73,000shocking.gif (now have 2 cars left worth a combined $58000) I know exactly what (or who!) is to blame for the anaemic bank balance!

The grocery bill is minuscule in comparison.