AndersB

Gold

2030 posts in this topic

In our local rag a claim that gold is rising on the back of speculators, and no longer those who purchase simply for a safe haven.

Would be interested in your views on this.

Thanks to all those who commented on my question.

Appreciate your point of view.

As time has unfolded, it has proved perhaps that the writer was on the money.

Thanks again.

http://www.smh.com.a...91211-koi2.html

Decent read. Key takeaways:

John Paulson is on board.

Gold is being thought of as money

Wulfgar scrubs up nice for the byline photo

The big point being that Paulson is now heavily into gold and that he made huge amounts of money during the subprime crisis when the majority of other fund managers/investors lost heavily.

The big point being that Paulson is now heavily into gold and that he made huge amounts of money during the subprime crisis when the majority of other fund managers/investors lost heavily.

Oh yeah, I expected most people here to remember the name or at least read the article.

Here is another good one:

http://www.indecisionforever.com/2009/12/11/is-glenn-beck-manipulating-the-gold-market/

Glenn Beck is a spokesman for online gold. Reiterating wulfgars belief that physical is the only sensible choice. Online gold is apparently for nazis, or people afraid of nazis or people that think america is turning into nazi germany. Something like that anyway.

wowo look at that palladium year to date,

if only i had bought some instead of banging on about it.

Close Change Pct 2008 YTD Chg Close % Chg

US palladium PAH0 362.15 -2.95 -0.8 188.70 91.9

thats %91 YTD

The Precious is correcting its sharp rise. Ideally, it should hold A$1,200.

Our falling currency is absorbing some of the sharp drop witnessed by gold in $US, which is of importance to the local gold bugs.

post-148-12611160080651_thumb.jpg

post-148-12611160162466_thumb.jpg

Our falling currency is absorbing some of the sharp drop witnessed by gold in $US, which is of importance to the local gold bugs.

MoM gold:

AUD +0.5%

EUR +0.1%

Gold is down in all the other majors MoM, most noticeably USD, -4%. I get this sh*tty feeling in my stomach that the AUD is gonna drop like a rock in the next few months, bah humbug!

You sure it not just the USD that is really bent and the rest of the world that is more normal?

MoM gold:

AUD +0.5%

EUR +0.1%

Gold is down in all the other majors MoM, most noticeably USD, -4%. I get this sh*tty feeling in my stomach that the AUD is gonna drop like a rock in the next few months, bah humbug!

AUD went up with godl vs USD, it will prob come down the same way. when we see a falling gold price aud will come down thus the AUD price of gold will remain more stable than the USD price.

thats my view

The AUD always seems highly synced with the oil price in directional sense. Oil had been coming down the last weeks so it was likely that the AUD would follow. We might see oil at $10 just around the time ULP gets outlawed and replaced with E10 in NSW. Somebody needs to relive history and write a book on "The Irony of Markets".

The AUD always seems highly synced with the oil price in directional sense. Oil had been coming down the last weeks so it was likely that the AUD would follow. We might see oil at $10 just around the time ULP gets outlawed and replaced with E10 in NSW. Somebody needs to relive history and write a book on "The Irony of Markets".

I tend to agree. The Pek Oil/Oil prices to the moon crowd will be in for a disappointment again. The $US will rise more than most expect.

I tend to agree. The Pek Oil/Oil prices to the moon crowd will be in for a disappointment again. The $US will rise more than most expect.

I disagree. Peak oil is real and the technology to reduce our dependence on oil is not evolving fast enough therefore there will be a problem.

Also, how much do you expect the US$ to rise? I don't see the current rally going up much past 79 on the USD index. http://stockcharts.c...llery.html?$usd

I disagree. Peak oil is real and the technology to reduce our dependence on oil is not evolving fast enough therefore there will be a problem.

We don't question the reality of a finite resource. You have to think of it in terms of time frames. People will kill each other for a grain of rice long before the last pint of oil leaves the ground.

the doco on peak oil on 4 corners had a guy from big oil. he rightly pointed out that there will always be oil in the ground it will just be too expensive to recover and alternate fuel will be used as it will become cheaper than collecting oil.

I guess its just a matter of finding out what that source will be and investing in it before everyone else does.

Also, how much do you expect the US$ to rise? I don't see the current rally going up much past 79 on the USD index. http://stockcharts.c...llery.html?$usd

The current rally may stop at around your mark. Then we get a correction and then I'd expect a much higher target. The stock markets have risen fast without much of a correction. When it occurs, I'd expect another flight to safety which will push the $US higher.

just saw on the web, gold up against USD, and AUD / USD also favorign the USD. AUD/GBP ALSO down. and our gold price gone up.

sure is some exciting times.

i seem to forget my investment mantra, some old scmoe wrote it in a book.

buy when others panicked and sell when everyones exuberant. he didnt seem to have a line for when everyones dazed and confused.

anyhow back to gold. up or down im happy, down ill buy , up ill hoarde what I have..

just saw on the web, gold up against USD, and AUD / USD also favorign the USD. AUD/GBP ALSO down. and our gold price gone up.

sure is some exciting times.

i seem to forget my investment mantra, some old scmoe wrote it in a book.

buy when others panicked and sell when everyones exuberant. he didnt seem to have a line for when everyones dazed and confused.

anyhow back to gold. up or down im happy, down ill buy , up ill hoarde what I have..

i'm spewing i sold my silver CFD short - i thought the return was too good so i sold - only for it to rally higher.

i shouldn't complain i made a tidy profit - but "ohhhh maaaaan!!!!"

i have 1x 10oz bar here at home as part of my SMSF. maybe i should buy another....?

i'm spewing i sold my silver CFD short - i thought the return was too good so i sold - only for it to rally higher.

i shouldn't complain i made a tidy profit - but "ohhhh maaaaan!!!!"

i have 1x 10oz bar here at home as part of my SMSF. maybe i should buy another....?

theres talk of silver going up to restore the avg gold to silver ratio. gold could come down to restore the same ratio. Its all a gamble.

at least you are managing your own destiny with a SMSF.

When my FHSA [ 1st home savers account ] reaches a decent amount ill start super and I'll roll it over to a SMSF.

theres talk of silver going up to restore the avg gold to silver ratio. gold could come down to restore the same ratio. Its all a gamble.

at least you are managing your own destiny with a SMSF.

When my FHSA [ 1st home savers account ] reaches a decent amount ill start super and I'll roll it over to a SMSF.

Not going to happen unless the traditional demand for silver luxury goods returns. Silver was used in household luxury goods but got displaced by stainless steal. Gold survived because nothing can replace it.

The 15 to 1 valuation will reappear if gold becomes too expensive for jewelery.

Gold is entering oversold areas technically. Anything < $1030 is a bargain IMO. Definite support @ $1000.

You are talking $US I assume?

If so currency fluctuations make that hard to live by for $AUS people. Any tips there?

You are talking $US I assume?

If so currency fluctuations make that hard to live by for $AUS people. Any tips there?

I've been away drinking, watching cricket and acting like an arse in Perth. Gimme a chance I just turned on my computer after a week.

You can hedge I suppose by buying AUDUSD but isn't Gold being held by those here as physical in case the USD becomes bogroll and the Fiat currency system goes TU?

I've been away drinking, watching cricket and acting like an arse in Perth. Gimme a chance I just turned on my computer after a week.

You can hedge I suppose by buying AUDUSD but isn't Gold being held by those here as physical in case the USD becomes bogroll and the Fiat currency system goes TU?

I can't speak for the others but I hold it for those afternoons watching pirate movies drinking rum. I still can't get over the hilarity of that. You can actually buy gold and flip it around, if you have parrots to bite it more bonus!

I think the rest hold it for the aus dollar going tits up though, US dollar crashing and burning may not kill the rest of the world (probably would I guess) but aus dollar becoming bumwad would be a more serious issue.

Oh and the mad max types that dream of a day where gold will once again be a thing worth someone shoving some archaic weapon against you to steal