Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndersB

Potential cures for Covid-19?

11 posts in this topic

Maybe there is hope:https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-queensland-researchers-find-cure-want-drug-trial/news-story/93e7656da0cff4fc4d2c5e51706accb5

Quote

Coronavirus Australia: Queensland researchers find ‘cure’, want drug trial

Some patients who tested positive for coronavirus in Australia have already been treated with one of the drugs and “all did very, very well,” researchers say.

...

 
Edited by AndersB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The drugs that seem to be effective treatments for coronavirus patients are lopinavir/ritonavir and Chloroquine:

 
The University of Queensland is ranked in the top-50 in the world so I think the scientific finding is credible. The advantage of these drugs is that they are in production and use. This means that they have already been tested for safety in clinical trials - and can be quickly re-purposed for coronavirus treatment.
 
In theory, if you can convince your medical doctor to prescribe these drugs then treatment with these drugs could be available immediately.
 
Please note that I am not medically trained and this email is not advice of any kind. I am just sending it to you so that you are informed about potential options to discuss with medical professionals, if you would be in the unfortunate situation where it is needed.
 
Channel 7 news:
Interestingly, at 2:29 you can see MinION DNA sequencing device that is produced by Oxford Nanopore - a company I worked with at Oxford: https://nanoporetech.com/products
 
And here is an interview by Sky News:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lopinavir/ritonavir are antiretroviral medications used in the treatment of HIV. In Australia they are section 100 drugs - highly specialised, that require additional GP training. They are also VERY expensive, although PBS subsidised. Community pharmacy's only stock them on special request.  So it's not like everyone will be able to immediately pop down to their GP and get a script. 

So if the research shows they are effective then, 1. All GPs will require additional training. 2. Drug companies will have to dramatically ramp up production. 3. Govts/people will have to be willing to pay $1000+ per patient per month for treatment. That's all going to take at least 6 months. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bigger issue will be production of supplies. Where are they currently manufactured?

Who owns the patents? Could be an investment opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Medved said:

The bigger issue will be production of supplies. Where are they currently manufactured?

Who owns the patents? Could be an investment opportunity.

The answer is complicated. The solutions more so - if antiretroviral drugs are effective against treatment or prevention of Covid 19.

The patents have expired on these two antiretroviral drugs. They are manufactured as generics in a number of countries or in combination with other in patent drugs by the original patent holders in first world countries (and the USA). 

HIV medicine is incredibly complex and expensive. Does  lopinavir/ritonavir, a relatively cheap treatment cure, prevent or stop transmission of c19? What if we chuck in another 4 classes of very expensive drugs that do a better job or act as a prophylaxis? 

In the short term I would only invest in drug companies that provide symptom treatment and promises of cure. Gilead comes to mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Wednesday, March 18, 2020 (9:30PM EST): New controlled clinical study conducted by doctors in France shows that Hydroxychloroquine cures 100% of coronavirus patients within 6 days of treatment. A  recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France showed that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment. In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AndersB said:

 


Wednesday, March 18, 2020 (9:30PM EST): New controlled clinical study conducted by doctors in France shows that Hydroxychloroquine cures 100% of coronavirus patients within 6 days of treatment. A  recent well controlled clinical study conducted by Didier Raoult M.D/Ph.D, et. al in France showed that 100% of patients that received a combination of HCQ and Azithromycin tested negative and were virologically cured within 6 days of treatment. In addition, recent guidelines from South Korea and China report that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are effective antiviral therapeutic treatments for novel coronavirus.

There's a problem with research that is pumped out so quickly. Normal drug research is guided by a team of experts and takes months to design. Is then peer reviewed and once published torn to shreds (or not by the specific research/medical community). Then repeated, rinse and repeat and finally accepted or not as some/best treatment.

I've seen two news articles in the last few days, so to be treated with scepticism. A Chinese and an Australian study into lopinavir/ritonavir treatment. One concluded the treatment was effective and one not. Perhaps different testing techniques. Perhaps different response of races - drugs in experiment do have different efficacy in different populations. 

More questions than answers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The coronavirus is now probably mostly spreading in Centrelink queues and people crowding in Centrelink offices.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During the previous SARS-CoV epidemic, there were studies finding that chloroquine had both prophylactic and therapeutic effect. For example: https://virologyj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-422X-2-69

Chloroquine seems to work in several ways: making it more difficult for the virus to enter cells by raising endosomal pH and interfering with glycosylation of the ACE2 cellular receptor (which smokers have more of, btw). And, as Dr Seheult explained, chloroquine also acts as a zinc ionophore which allows zinc into the cells so that it can stop RdRP enzyme activity. That is the enzyme that replicates viral RNA.

However, the above is a bit speculative. The Vincent et al (2005) study above was based on only in-vitro (Petri dish) tests. But the anecdotal reports of the effect of chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine in humans are very good. So I am optimistic.

These two cheap off-patent drugs have had known anti-viral effects for RNA-based viruses for a long time - at least 15 years. Yet, there has been little research done to see whether these drugs could become standard treatment protocol in case of future pandemics, like the one we have now. I am cynical about the reasons for this: there is no big money and profits to be made from such generic drugs. But why haven't health authorities in any country in the world demanded to find out from a disaster preparedness point of view? If laymen can find out potential cures that are worth investigating further, why aren't the experts doing it? Chloroquine is already on the WHO Model List of Essential Medicines, so it is not some obscure pharmaceutical drug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 1:12 PM, AndersB said:

The coronavirus is now probably mostly spreading in Centrelink queues and people crowding in Centrelink offices.

I went to an office on Tuesday. It was a like sci fi movie.

I rocked up before 9am. The queue was stretched around the corner and down the road. Very glad I took a novel with me. Standing in the sun reading a book wasn't all bad. A man and woman in police uniforms came by once. One made a comment to the effect "all we ask is that you keep your distance."

When I finally got to the door I followed the guy in front of me. The security guy, clearly from India, started barking frantically something at me in a strong accent, clearly distressed. I stopped to try to comprehend the incomprehensible. He was trying to tell me that I couldn't enter the building yet. So I waited in the entrance. He was afraid that someone would touch me, and requested I stood in the corner.

Shortly later I entered the building. There were pieces of tape on the floor for the queue, all on a diagonal angle. I stepped on either side of the diagonal, and in an instance I had a security officer telling me to stand back in a panicked tone. I finally made it to the concierge desk where the woman was freaking out as if she was a bank teller being robbed.

After I sat down I watched her repeat her frantic cries of "stay behind the line!" and "don't give me anything!" and "have you been overseas in the last fourteen days?!" One elderly chinaman wearing a face mask indicated he had. It was like preparations for emergency evacuations from a burning building.

I stopped reading my book to observe the environment. All the staff were paranoid, as if they were to be randomly selected for execution. Everyone visiting the building was quiet and docile, not fearing to trigger an alarm for breaching the superstitious covenant of "social distancing."

I was finally called by a staff member and was led to a desk. Well not to a desk. I was escorted to a chair placed behind a diagonal line on the floor. I did not dare move the chair for fear a SWAT team would descend upon me. I explained to the man that I could not submit a claim online because the system had been down for several days. He said he could not do anything, and that I should do everything online. He repeated that I should submit a claim online. Clearly progress wasn't a possible outcome. I asked him what he could do. He said he could leave a note on the system.

Two hours of my life for a note. At least The Bourne Identity is a good read. But I think Asimov or Orwell would have been more appropriate.

I get the impression the whole country is going insane. There is a virus that has already infected 99% of the population - fear. It is far more devastating than one from Wuhan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I went to an office on Tuesday. It was a like sci fi movie.

I rocked up before 9am. The queue was stretched around the corner and down the road. Very glad I took a novel with me. Standing in the sun reading a book wasn't all bad. A man and woman in police uniforms came by once. One made a comment to the effect "all we ask is that you keep your distance."

When I finally got to the door I followed the guy in front of me. The security guy, clearly from India, started barking frantically something at me in a strong accent, clearly distressed. I stopped to try to comprehend the incomprehensible. He was trying to tell me that I couldn't enter the building yet. So I waited in the entrance. He was afraid that someone would touch me, and requested I stood in the corner.

Shortly later I entered the building. There were pieces of tape on the floor for the queue, all on a diagonal angle. I stepped on either side of the diagonal, and in an instance I had a security officer telling me to stand back in a panicked tone. I finally made it to the concierge desk where the woman was freaking out as if she was a bank teller being robbed.

After I sat down I watched her repeat her frantic cries of "stay behind the line!" and "don't give me anything!" and "have you been overseas in the last fourteen days?!" One elderly chinaman wearing a face mask indicated he had. It was like preparations for emergency evacuations from a burning building.

I stopped reading my book to observe the environment. All the staff were paranoid, as if they were to be randomly selected for execution. Everyone visiting the building was quiet and docile, not fearing to trigger an alarm for breaching the superstitious covenant of "social distancing."

I was finally called by a staff member and was led to a desk. Well not to a desk. I was escorted to a chair placed behind a diagonal line on the floor. I did not dare move the chair for fear a SWAT team would descend upon me. I explained to the man that I could not submit a claim online because the system had been down for several days. He said he could not do anything, and that I should do everything online. He repeated that I should submit a claim online. Clearly progress wasn't a possible outcome. I asked him what he could do. He said he could leave a note on the system.

Two hours of my life for a note. At least The Bourne Identity is a good read. But I think Asimov or Orwell would have been more appropriate.

I get the impression the whole country is going insane. There is a virus that has already infected 99% of the population - fear. It is far more devastating than one from Wuhan.

That's a sad but amusing story. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0