Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staringclown

Seems it's arrived

210 posts in this topic

Anyone Else seen nutty behaviour?

I witnessed two this week. 

On the way to the newsagent I pass woolies which has a bunch of oldies milling around waiting for the exclusive shopping period these days. One morning there were two old women in a verbal altercation. One calmly saying 'The hospital said I can go out as long as I wear this mask'. The other was keeping her distance and was shouting incomprehensibly. The manager was busily moving the trolleys near by. I guess in the age of social distancing trolley ramming has replaced hair pulling and scratching in a cat fight.

The other was at the supermarket check out next to the line I was in. One guy's groceries had mostly all been scanned and the guy behind him started loading his stuff onto the conveyor. The first guy brandished a roll of glad wrap and started yelling get back, back, back.  

The world is going insane.

Starts quite good. The spread of the virus in China and its origins are questionable. The end descends into USA propaganda vs Chinese propaganda. 

There were some cyclers who were quite testy when I went on a walk with my kids. One said "move over!" (not sure if directed at me), another scolded a guy who stopped with his young daughter, "get off the path!" I was kind of taken aback by their rudeness.

Everybody seems panicky as if they think I'm going to rob them at knife point.

I haven't seen much crazy - except the president of course, but then I haven't left the house much in the last two weeks. Ms Clown does the shops. If I had to go I'd be doing the crazy.

Enjoying working from home. Love the travel time. Bed to couch in under 5 seconds with no requirement for wearing pants.:) We've copped a wage freeze which is probably fair enough given the circumstances.

I have never spent so much time on whatsapp - I'm not really enjoying that. I still have to work and there's a bunch of dudes that want to chat all day and night. If I could combine them all on to one group maybe I could introduce them to one another and they could chat among themselves. 

Due to this Jobkeeper payment UE forecasts are only ~9%. The AUD seems to have a bit of bounce due to a flattening curve. I suspect the can has been successfully kicked for the next few months at least. RE forecast to fall 20% - if it does I'll buy. :o

It just feels like life in stasis at the moment. I'm keen to try Tor's gravy recipe.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:59 PM, Mr Medved said:

Everybody seems panicky as if they think I'm going to rob them at knife point.

Panicky or jittery is a good description. I'm a smoker so I cough more than the average person. If I clear my throat people look at me like I'm the grim reaper. A cough and people scatter. I see fear in people's eyes. I sense people think that someone who coughs once 10 metres away from them is going to cause them to drop dead in the next isle at the supermarket. 

16 hours ago, staringclown said:

except the president of course,

Trump is taking crazy to a new level. Rambling press conferences, desire for 2 hour daily radio shows, his name on checks, TV ratings of rallies, ops, I mean press conferences more important than the health of his nation etc. With usual outright lies.

Due to this Jobkeeper payment UE forecasts are only ~9%. The AUD seems to have a bit of bounce due to a flattening curve. I suspect the can has been successfully kicked for the next few months at least. RE forecast to fall 20% - if it does I'll buy. :o

So far tenants have been given a pass. It takes a lot of time to foreclose on a property, which is where drops will come from. Give it 12 months till you get a 20% drop.

It just feels like life in stasis at the moment. I'm keen to try Tor's gravy recipe.

That's if you can get your hands on any flour. Most supplies in my Woolies have returned to normal - toilet paper in abundance. There is no flour, sugar or frozen veggies. 

On 4/15/2020 at 5:58 PM, staringclown said:

I I suspect the can has been successfully kicked for the next few months at least. RE forecast to fall 20% - if it does I'll buy. :o

Re is local and it may happen in your area. But probably won't  

On 16/04/2020 at 10:48 AM, zaph said:

Trump is taking crazy to a new level. Rambling press conferences, desire for 2 hour daily radio shows, his name on checks, TV ratings of rallies, ops, I mean press conferences more important than the health of his nation etc. With usual outright lies.

So far tenants have been given a pass. It takes a lot of time to foreclose on a property, which is where drops will come from. Give it 12 months till you get a 20% drop.

That's if you can get your hands on any flour. Most supplies in my Woolies have returned to normal - toilet paper in abundance. There is no flour, sugar or frozen veggies. 

It's a stunning performance from the President. A lot of people are saying it's the most clear cut, irrefutable case of narcissistic personality disorder since... Who knows? Maybe ever.

Given I too am a smoker - the dreaded lurgy is stalking me. I might just go crazy on hookers and cocaine in the short time I have left...

I scored some pasta tonight - when I say me - I mean Ms clown. Thank you Ms clown. :)

9 hours ago, zaph said:

Re is local and it may happen in your area. But probably won't  

Yeah I expect exactly that in Canberra - no one has lost their job (yet)

Nice tune BTW - thanks :)

On 26/03/2020 at 6:20 PM, AndersB said:

Again, sorry to hear about your troubles Mr Medved. Everything does indeed look bleak and it is difficult to see how this situation is going to improve soon.

I think health authorities and government officials around the world know about the potential treatment for coronavirus patients with the medications that I have mentioned earlier. An indication of this is that the UK, India, and Hungary have banned the export of hydroxychloroquine. But supplies are short and it will take a month or two to ramp up supply to meet the needs of a pandemic.

That is why the governments are trying to buy time by reducing the rate of infection spreading. Also, ironically, they want to dampen the interest in people demanding their doctors to prescribe the drug as it will reduce availability for the serious cases in the meantime. Hence, we don't hear much about the promising results of treatments and the health authorities expressing themselves as reluctant and extremely cautious about it when confronted.

But the big risk is that you will kill big parts of the economy and large viable businesses/employers close down, never to reopen again. We have an extremely co-dependent just-in-time supply chain economy that can very easily be irreparably damaged, or take many years to recover. Worse, individual lives will be shattered, with people losing their houses (with 10-year bankruptcy effects or credit rating damage), can't pay their rents, and lose all their savings that may have taken years to build up.

If the governments are not careful, this event will cause a strong backlash in two ways. Both against the draconian measures, which can lead to riots and revolts. But also, this can be another generational divide. The young, who are relatively not badly affected by the virus, are the ones that will bear all of the burdens of the shut down economy, to protect the older generations that are already on pensions and government support. The mortgage-free boomers win again!

This is a prescient post Anders. US has the tea party protesting already in Michigan. I've been wondering how we might come out of this. Word is we have another four weeks of isolation - but I'm unsure of what the aim is. I suspect the plan will be limited freedom of movement for the non-immuno-compromised. Boomers will stay locked up for the duration. I'm not sure this is a win. Still, at least the highways will be clear of caravans. :)

A vaccine if there is one is 18 months away (from January). I suspect the aim is to limit the cases over a longer time period to allow ICU to handle the cases and at least treat people. Unfortunately, for every two people that require ventilators one dies regardless even when they have one. So peeps will die. If the aim is herd immunity over a longer period for the reasons above - loads still peg it. We're only aiming for the least worst scenario.

This is probably the most moral path that can be taken. But also the most realistic path. No government that is sacrificing people for what is an abstract notion of 'economy' will survive this.

I keep hearing words to the effect that this crisis is unprecedented. This is clearly bullsh*t. We have an entire history of such events from the Black Death onwards. I  am now ranting because it's Friday night and I have nothing better to do. 

Questions for those with a bent for futurism.

• What impact will this have on Globalisation?
  • Can a second/third/fourth wave of infection be controlled such that a government can be re-elected?
  • Is the crisis caused by nature rebelling against abuse by humans as some at the guardian would have me believe? (Hint: I don't think so)
  • Are we reaching the limits of technology? (in terms of not finding a vaccine - we are back to the dark ages - but it is the first time I've heard defeat from science)
  • Will Collingwood win the flag in 2020?

Not sure how much of Trumps briefings you guys get to see. Currently the plan appears to be

• stay on tele saying I am the mostest powerfulest ever.
  • Promote reopening soon and make threats towards governors that won't open soon
  • Get off camera, realise this is insane after repeated repeated repeated briefings
  • Go on camera "In my infinite mercy I will allow governors to decide to reopen according to my plan"

Either way he gets to claim genius if it works and "not my fault" if it doesn't. The Michigan protests will be interesting to watch for how this strategy plays out. UK & Sweden (on the surface) seem to indicate not an awesome idea.

Areas that didn't quarantine are starting to flare up. Watch Nebraska for the next few days I think.

And for some unknown reason Trump has started saying "it's all over, the numbers are coming down".

It was f*cking easter! Every weekend almost every country has a down number. This was a 4 day weekend! If wednesday this week was higher than thursday last week we are not going down. We're not even plateauing in any provable way!

Inexplicably the media is repeating "plateau" but arguing maybe we ought to wait.

There is no plateau. There is the same weekend thing that has happened every damn weekend. NZ/AUS are the only countries out of the 20 odd I am following with any real interest that have displayed a reduction. Small, physically isolated nations that acted fast.

On top of which, if we stabilise at 2K deaths a day for a week in the US whilst doing the current quarantine that does not mean it is a great time to re open. At least wait and see if 2K deaths a day is just the new normal if quarantine is maintained.

I think we get to see too much of the mad king. He is now fomenting rebellion against his own lockdown advice. He is batsh*t.

His strategy seems to be say something and then straight away say the exact opposite. Then you can put together video clips that support any point of view that you care to demonstrate. 

On 4/17/2020 at 9:28 PM, staringclown said:

Nice tune BTW - thanks :)

You're welcome. I have tickets to see Greenday in November, but I suspect that will be cancelled. 

Most of the shops near me have installed plastic shields at their counters. The main woman at the bottleshop paid for hers out of her own pocket and it looks like it would break with a puff of wind. The tobacconist has installed a very elaborate shield that looks like it's bulletproof. The chemist won't accept cash and it's all self service now.

Heroic woman risks life to buy essential box of wine

17th April 2020wine-box-2.jpg

AN incredibly brave woman has risked catching coronavirus at the supermarket because she needed some wine.    

Emma Bradford ventured out to her local Sainsbury’s last night wearing a protective scarf, gloves and sunglasses to pick up some Pinot Grigio.

Bradford said: “It’s at times like this you find strength you never knew you had. I was terrified the entire time I was out there but I did it.

“I heard a man cough in the bread aisle and almost fainted three times from trying not to breathe, but I carried on. I can probably apply for some sort of civic award for bravery. 

“I even managed to get myself three essential grab bags of kettle crisps and a jar of essential olives.

“The problem is that post-lockdown me only stocked up on healthy food. She was naive, and believed she would get fit and healthy during the pandemic.   

“I’m a different person now. I’ve got the inner strength to go back for a box of Merlot tomorrow.”

On 16/04/2020 at 10:48 AM, zaph said:

According to AK alcohol is the new currency. Ms clown went down to our local bottle shop and the cupboard was bare (of vodka at least) 

Aldi limiting customers to one fluorescent ski-suit or two water-resistant cuckoo clocks per person

14th April 2020aldi-store-667x375.jpg

BUDGET supermarket Aldi is restricting shoppers to one fluorescent all-in-one ski suit per person, and no more than two waterproof cuckoo clocks.

The German chain is enforcing rationing across the board, with shoppers allowed no more than four Chronicles of Riddick frisbees and only one 22lb bag of frozen prawns.

Stephen Malley, manager of the Uttoxeter store, said: “Our supply chain has been badly disrupted by coronavirus. We should have a gross of authentic brass diving bells by now, but we’re still on our winter stock of flaming juggling torches.

“So to ensure everyone gets a chance, we’re restricting the sale of certain items to avoid stockpiling. Rest assured that when you come to Aldi there will be enough foldable beehives, 2010 World Cup vuvuzelas and two-gallon jars of sipping honey for everyone.”

Customer Roy Hobbs said: “This place is mental. I came in for a remote-controlled dove and left with a loaf of bread, a pint of milk and some bin bags.”

On 4/18/2020 at 10:26 AM, staringclown said:

I think we get to see too much of the mad king. He is now fomenting rebellion against his own lockdown advice. He is batsh*t.

His strategy seems to be say something and then straight away say the exact opposite. Then you can put together video clips that support any point of view that you care to demonstrate. 

We can watch him for hours every day if we want! To the point even fox news is saying maybe he needs to get back to work. He has moved on to OAN now though I guess.

My current theory is that during the day, before he has taken enough drugs that cause incessant sniffing and memory loss, he knows he has to win the presidency again for the statute of limitations so the Justice department don't come knocking and send him to white man prison.

Then at night he is smacked up and just wants it all to burn so he doesn't have to make a decision anymore.

I base this on the fact that when people say "I am X" (strong, powerful etc) they invariably are not.

But if you -play- X on tele then you get the brain drugs of X without actually having to do X.

Does anyone think Trump made the decision about who would be fired on his tv show? That would require work. Easier to have someone else do the work then you get to say "You're Fired".

Look at his inability to make a decision or immediately contradict his decision if he did.

Look at his inability to make a deal unless the people he is working with all support his deal.

Can't negotiate, Can't make a decision, Can't basically life.

Now if this was an ex girlfriend I'd be kind of "okay whatever, she is an -ex- girlfriend" but very few of my flaky ex girlfriends have had intentions to try and be the US president. Many of my ex girlfriends are actors and models (they need tech guys too) and it is pretty much how they would have behaved. Ego oriented and easily destroyed by people they don't even care about.

I could watch his rantings live - the guardian show the feed in the morning. I can't bring myself to watch him. I instantly have the urge to start swinging.

I'm not sure what causes his schizoid behaviour. I assumed like others, the more lucid moments were when he was following the script as set down by his advisors. 

He does have some trouble with slurred speech quite often. Maybe he is on something? He can turn on a dime. 

We're not informed enough here to gauge whether his ratings for the daily rants are fervent followers or people watching for the car crashes?

It is weird how insecure he is. The incessant need for praise is disturbing.

I heard a good quote that fits him this morning from J. Paul Getty. A man can fail, but he isn't a failure until he blames someone else.

That's weird that he is still warbling on about his AI.

I assume it can learn.

I assume it had to learn at an exponential rate to get to where it was useful a few years back.

Odd that it stopped learning exponentially. 10 years or so from start to human level smartness then just stalls there. Strange. Wonder what the failure was.

9 hours ago, tor said:

That's weird that he is still warbling on about his AI.

I assume it can learn.

I assume it had to learn at an exponential rate to get to where it was useful a few years back.

Odd that it stopped learning exponentially. 10 years or so from start to human level smartness then just stalls there. Strange. Wonder what the failure was.

It’s only had Marty to talk to?:)

Any news on the rental markets? I was thinking of negotiating a rental reduction. Seems like quite a few people are on the move in my area and I assume the residential rental market is pretty soft at the minute. I'm on a month-to-month lease so they could turn around and give me a notice to vacate, but I understand evictions are forbidden now by the Federal government?

There's a place I was previously interested in renting that's now on the market. Based on oldlistings.com.au it seems like the owner has dropped rents below what was advertised in 2013. I reckon they may even go lower. But it's a pain to move places, especially with kids, so I think I'd prefer a rental reduction. Good news is I started a new job last week. Good to have cash flow after a year of very, very little.