Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Melbourne suburban rail loop

9 posts in this topic

A massive, $50 billion, underground suburban rail network will be built, linking every major rail line in Melbourne and the new airport rail, the Victorian government has pledged.

Billed as "the biggest public transport project in Australian history", the Suburban Rail Loop is expected to take almost 30 years to build and connect key train lines from Frankston to Werribee.

When completed commuters would not need to travel into the city and back out to reach another part of Melbourne – a major downfall in the city's existing train network.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/victoria/state-government-announces-massive-suburban-rail-loop-for-melbourne-20180828-p5005r.html

20 minutes ago, zaph said:

If it is anything like the NBN the cost & time to complete will...

I was in Melbourne over the weekend. The disruption so far compared to the Sydney light rail is minimal. At least they are finally building some infrastructure with the cheap money. They should have started this 7 years ago.

Smells like an election stunt.

It will suck. Metros with multiple lines in Eastern Europe/Russia work because there's a train every 1-2 minutes during peak hour and 5-6 minutes otherwise. My line has peak hour services every 20 minutes. So connections will suck. And it will cost a gazillion more than $50B.

So I'd rather they get the current system upgraded and reliable before committing to such a project.

8 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

It will suck. Metros with multiple lines in Eastern Europe/Russia work because there's a train every 1-2 minutes during peak hour and 5-6 minutes otherwise. My line has peak hour services every 20 minutes. So connections will suck. And it will cost a gazillion more than $50B.

So I'd rather they get the current system upgraded and reliable before committing to such a project.

The tram in Sydney is similar and also slow. I've heard numerous times from users that it feels as it it is quicker to walk. It takes about 45 minutes to cover a distance the express train I use would do in 10 minutes,

10 hours ago, cobran20 said:

The tram in Sydney is similar and also slow. I've heard numerous times from users that it feels as it it is quicker to walk. It takes about 45 minutes to cover a distance the express train I use would do in 10 minutes,

Trains in Brisbane are terrible. When my train gets to it's maximum speed of 60ks for a brief minute it shakes like it's going to derail. The rest of the time it's lucky to get up to 40ks.Express trains knock 3 mins off the trip. They get down to walking pace when going through stations they're not stopping at. They stink of piss and sweat. Being on the Gold Coast line and an express stop you'd expect regular services - 15 mins peak, 30 mins off peak and 1 hr late night is the best they can do to the city.

The bus is quicker, cleaner and more comfortable. Services are every 3 mins peak and 7 off peak. How can a bus, that has to stop for traffic and lights be faster than a train that doesn't have those restrictions?

44 minutes ago, zaph said:

Trains in Brisbane are terrible. When my train gets to it's maximum speed of 60ks for a brief minute it shakes like it's going to derail. The rest of the time it's lucky to get up to 40ks.Express trains knock 3 mins off the trip. They get down to walking pace when going through stations they're not stopping at. They stink of piss and sweat. Being on the Gold Coast line and an express stop you'd expect regular services - 15 mins peak, 30 mins off peak and 1 hr late night is the best they can do to the city.

The bus is quicker, cleaner and more comfortable. Services are every 3 mins peak and 7 off peak. How can a bus, that has to stop for traffic and lights be faster than a train that doesn't have those restrictions?

We drove from the Sunshine coast back to NSW back in July. We reached northern Brisbane around 7:30am. From there until we crossed into NSW, it was bumper-to-bumper traffic. Considering that the population of Brisbane is much smaller than Sydney and it was at times 4 lane highway heading into the Gold Coast, the traffic was as bad as the worst of Sydney. Can't understand why they don't have extensive rail network between the Sunshine and Gold Coast.

On 8/29/2018 at 10:33 PM, Mr Medved said:

Are you talking Melb or Bris? I used to catch the train everyday from Yarraville to Spencer St and it was OK. 1/2 hour all up with a change at Footscray. Admittedly,that was 15 years ago. I caught the train from Sunshine to Flinders St last W/E and it took 1/2 hour (on a Friday night) and managed to get to town without being accosted by a single African. :) 

Airport to Altandi is a bit slow but you have all of those lovely buses that take me virtually door to door on Mains Rd.

Melbourne.

15 years ago is a different world. Sardine City now and you'd be luckly to squeeze on a train so may need to wait.

Then there are scheduled maintenance windows, even during peak hour.