AndersB

Solar PV Panels now sold at $2 per watt

46 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zaph said:

Every credible record I've seen has solar as a low source of power. Keep digging. Eventually you'll find something to fit your religion. 

It is cheap if you don't require 24x7x365 reliability. Since modern nations don't want to become third world countries, they still rely on fossil fuel options.

Keep believing, technology will eventually find a cost effective solution to your blindness.

The battery pack in SA seems to be doing well in the (little) news I see about it.

2 hours ago, tor said:

The battery pack in SA seems to be doing well in the (little) news I see about it.

The battery pack will power Adelaide city for a minute or two in case of another blackout. There is little news about that minor fact.

I'd love to see Adelaide go immediately 100% renewable. It should be quite a spectacle.

11 hours ago, cobran20 said:

It is cheap if you don't require 24x7x365 reliability. Since modern nations don't want to become third world countries, they still rely on fossil fuel options.

Keep believing, technology will eventually find a cost effective solution to your blindness.

Have you been to church today?

10 hours ago, cobran20 said:

The battery pack will power Adelaide city for a minute or two in case of another blackout. There is little news about that minor fact.

I'd love to see Adelaide go immediately 100% renewable. It should be quite a spectacle.

You are hating on that too? You seem determined to be sad man.

I thought you worked in IT? That seems a fairly difficult problem to solve to me based on my experience of trying to keep things going. Out old diesels took a few minutes to come online and the damage caused in that first minute is pretty major if the batteries die (which they invariably did for some stuff). Seems like technology found a cost effective solution really. From what I read it is cheaper too (phrased as making Adelaide money).

13 hours ago, tor said:

You are hating on that too? You seem determined to be sad man.

I thought you worked in IT? That seems a fairly difficult problem to solve to me based on my experience of trying to keep things going. Out old diesels took a few minutes to come online and the damage caused in that first minute is pretty major if the batteries die (which they invariably did for some stuff). Seems like technology found a cost effective solution really. From what I read it is cheaper too (phrased as making Adelaide money).

I don't hate it. It is just not what many expect it to be. If they suffer another major blackout, that battery pack will be useless.

So you do think it is f*cking incredible right? Just other morons don't know what it is used for.

Not that I have seen any of those morons around myself, you must hang out with different people to me. Even the people I know that hate on alt energy are pretty impressed by it (i.e. they change the topic immediately because it's pretty f*cking hard to argue anything negative about it).

Nice to see you admit some cool sh*t we get to have is actually cool sh*t.

2 minutes ago, tor said:

So you do think it is f*cking incredible right? Just other morons don't know what it is used for.

Not that I have seen any of those morons around myself, you must hang out with different people to me. Even the people I know that hate on alt energy are pretty impressed by it (i.e. they change the topic immediately because it's pretty f*cking hard to argue anything negative about it).

Nice to see you admit some cool sh*t we get to have is actually cool sh*t.

It is cool sh!t for intermittent power disruptions lasting seconds. As a solution for a blackout like they previously had, well you're a smart guy. How well do you think it will perform at avoiding a complete shutdown? How long will it be able to keep the lights on in the city?

How well does anything do for things they aren't designed to do? What a ridiculous frame of mind to have.

2 hours ago, tor said:

How well does anything do for things they aren't designed to do? What a ridiculous frame of mind to have.

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I recall, the battery was part of the solution put forward by the government for resolving future blackouts like what they suffered in 2016.

link

... The US entrepreneur agreed to fix SA’s blackout problems in record time. He pledged to build the $200 million Tesla battery plant in 100 days, or give it for free...

So who had a 'ridiculous frame of mind'?

Edited by cobran20

7 hours ago, cobran20 said:

I stand to be corrected, but as far as I recall, the battery was part of the solution put forward by the government for resolving future blackouts like what they suffered in 2016.

It was certainly part of a political solution to make it look like the govt had solved a problem that didn't really exist. 

I think it will have financial and reliability benefits in use in small towns and rural and remote areas. One big battery in a small town of a few thousand all in a few sq k area powered by solar or wind. Home based batteries for houses that are a few, or tens of ks apart. No need for laying of, or upkeep of poles and lines. 

2 minutes ago, zaph said:

It was certainly part of a political solution to make it look like the govt had solved a problem that didn't really exist. 

I think it will have financial and reliability benefits in use in small towns and rural and remote areas. One big battery in a small town of a few thousand all in a few sq k area powered by solar or wind. Home based batteries for houses that are a few, or tens of ks apart. No need for laying of, or upkeep of poles and lines. 

Problem is that even if batteries were financially viable for homes, you still need the backup for the unreliability of solar panels. In cities, it means connected to the grid (and have to pay for it). In the bush, it means diesel generators.

1 hour ago, cobran20 said:

Problem is that even if batteries were financially viable for homes, you still need the backup for the unreliability of solar panels. In cities, it means connected to the grid (and have to pay for it). In the bush, it means diesel generators.

Not necessarily. One just needs to get the balance of panels and batteries right.

In cities 'hydro batteries' (I'm sure there's a more refined term for it) could be an answer. eg - Brisbane has two major dams service it. One feeds into the other. Solar/wind generated power could be used to pump water from the lower dam to the higher one when the sun shines and hydro generated power as the water flows from higher to lower produce power when the sun don't shine. 

Disregarding 'greeness', Solar/wind and batteries is worth investigating for rural/remote areas to replace hundreds of ks of poles and lines servicing only a few houses. 

19 hours ago, zaph said:

Not necessarily. One just needs to get the balance of panels and batteries right.

In cities 'hydro batteries' (I'm sure there's a more refined term for it) could be an answer. eg - Brisbane has two major dams service it. One feeds into the other. Solar/wind generated power could be used to pump water from the lower dam to the higher one when the sun shines and hydro generated power as the water flows from higher to lower produce power when the sun don't shine. 

Disregarding 'greeness', Solar/wind and batteries is worth investigating for rural/remote areas to replace hundreds of ks of poles and lines servicing only a few houses. 

If it makes financial sense, then Ok with me

2 hours ago, cobran20 said:

If it makes financial sense, then Ok with me

Of course.

I think my scenario for rural areas would also make power more reliable for them. I'm sure that when storms etc knock out power lines rural areas are the last to have them fixed. 

15 minutes ago, zaph said:

Of course.

I think my scenario for rural areas would also make power more reliable for them. I'm sure that when storms etc knock out power lines rural areas are the last to have them fixed. 

Here is an example of a farmer who went solar/battery due to the high cost of connecting to the grid:

link

I'd like to know what happens when there are overcast days and does she use Air Cond as they consume a lot of electricity.

1 hour ago, cobran20 said:

Here is an example of a farmer who went solar/battery due to the high cost of connecting to the grid:

link

I'd like to know what happens when there are overcast days and does she use Air Cond as they consume a lot of electricity.

I doubt the author is a farmer. She's so hippy she probably doesn't eat the eggs of her pet chooks.

I'd say she does OK on overcast days since she's been off the grid for 3 months and says her battery never drops below 3/4 full. As I said it's about having enough battery storage to see through the un-sunny days.

Solar produces around 25% capacity in overcast times and 10% in severely overcast times. Even on a day that we describe as not sunny solar would produce a decent amount.

13 hours ago, zaph said:

I doubt the author is a farmer. She's so hippy she probably doesn't eat the eggs of her pet chooks.

I'd say she does OK on overcast days since she's been off the grid for 3 months and says her battery never drops below 3/4 full. As I said it's about having enough battery storage to see through the un-sunny days.

Solar produces around 25% capacity in overcast times and 10% in severely overcast times. Even on a day that we describe as not sunny solar would produce a decent amount.

With my 5.4kw system, I've seen a range of about 2-29kw/day over the last 15 months. If I was off the grid and wanted to run ducted A/C during the summer, including on cloudy, humid days, I'd hate to think how much battery storage would cost. Might make sense when the option is $50k to connect to the grid, but there is no way on current prices that you would get your money back within 10 years on even a basic battery storage pack.