Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AndersB

Don't let the bastards get to you

12 posts in this topic

I love it Anders. Thanks for posting.

I hope this kid grows up to become the next Walt Disney.

Just this year alone, I have corrected the grammar on a teacher's feedback on my No 1 son's homework and corrected the calculated percentage grade on No 2 son's poor maths test result. In both cases the teacher had requested a parent sign to acknowledge that we had seen the poor result. Either poor teachers or poor parenting is to blame. I guess we can only blame ourselves for the names we give our children.

I do sympathise with the concern about the quality of teachers-to-be that are being allowed into universities. Mother-in-law was a school teacher from a time when that was the accepted place for the very brightest women. She is well read, still curious (at 83) and a big believer in the value of education. My sister and brother-in-law both went through teacher training in 80s. Both above average at school, but not top 20%. All reports are that they are very talented teachers trying hard to ignore the latest trends in educashun coming out of the Dept of Education. Nowadays a Bachelor of Education is all about social justice, post modernism and social engineering (I work at a university and have to deal with them). 

I think the challenges on non-conformists in schools is real. Creativity and imagination is a problem. I am certainly seeing it with my two boys. Actually being a boy can be a pathology needing medication. Teacher wants No 2 son medicated for adhd. He is in lowest maths class. Regarded as unremarkable for English. We just received Naplan results. He is in the top little triangle for both ie ~ 3 years above year level. But we all know Naplan is flawed and can be very stressful and doesn't measure a student's real worth and is just one data point etc. Ok I've started to vent...

One problem we see is the teachers our sons have experienced  (not all teachers) were never above average themselves and certainly not well above, so they don't seem to know what it looks like.

Boys get sport prizes (not academic). Girls must be neat and get academic prizes. For all the social justice fight against gender roles they seem to be big on pigeonholing gender identities.

4 hours ago, Ugg said:

Just this year alone, I have corrected the grammar on a teacher's feedback on my No 1 son's homework and corrected the calculated percentage grade on No 2 son's poor maths test result. In both cases the teacher had requested a parent sign to acknowledge that we had seen the poor result. Either poor teachers or poor parenting is to blame. I guess we can only blame ourselves for the names we give our children.

I do sympathise with the concern about the quality of teachers-to-be that are being allowed into universities. Mother-in-law was a school teacher from a time when that was the accepted place for the very brightest women. She is well read, still curious (at 83) and a big believer in the value of education. My sister and brother-in-law both went through teacher training in 80s. Both above average at school, but not top 20%. All reports are that they are very talented teachers trying hard to ignore the latest trends in educashun coming out of the Dept of Education. Nowadays a Bachelor of Education is all about social justice, post modernism and social engineering (I work at a university and have to deal with them). 

I think the challenges on non-conformists in schools is real. Creativity and imagination is a problem. I am certainly seeing it with my two boys. Actually being a boy can be a pathology needing medication. Teacher wants No 2 son medicated for adhd. He is in lowest maths class. Regarded as unremarkable for English. We just received Naplan results. He is in the top little triangle for both ie ~ 3 years above year level. But we all know Naplan is flawed and can be very stressful and doesn't measure a student's real worth and is just one data point etc. Ok I've started to vent...

One problem we see is the teachers our sons have experienced  (not all teachers) were never above average themselves and certainly not well above, so they don't seem to know what it looks like.

Boys get sport prizes (not academic). Girls must be neat and get academic prizes. For all the social justice fight against gender roles they seem to be big on pigeonholing gender identities.

Teachers have a very strong union. Other than raising the current woefully low ATAR required to get into teaching, the other obvious thing to do is to regularly assess the knowledge & teaching skills of existing teachers, with a view to culling the bad ones. This is what would happen in private enterprise as they can't afford deadbeats endlessly. But not in the public service, especially with the strong union. So the kids with bad teachers suffer.

When I was doing my HSC, doing a fairly high level of maths, the teacher was useless to the point that we had to explain things to her. Fortunately, the word must have got around as the maths master took us under his wing. We were panicking about sitting for the HSC maths exam with such lousy teacher who was totally out of her depth ... and she was supposed to be a trained maths teacher. My kids had similar experiences in high school.

They can waste as much as they like on Gonski, but not much is going to improve until the quality of the teachers is raised substantially. They have sunk extra monies in education and Australian kids are still underperforming relative to other countries. So just money is not going to do it.

It could be worse. I'm currently in Siberia, a friend of mine studied at university to become a teacher. She isn't a teacher because the standard salary is 15,000RUB a month (about 300-350AUD). 

Teaching kids is not an easy gig. So I won't pot all teachers. There's some good and some bad. The trick is to move to a school zone where there is a good government school.  School fees are much less and not really lower quality than private (primary) schools. I'm lucky in that my kids' day care/kinder and school are officially top 5% in the state. Not sure of of other states, but once you get a kid in school you can move out of the zone and stay in the school - and siblings can enter out of zone.

There's always going to be a level of conformity. And a level of social conditioning that I don't like, but I can't afford to home school so it's a matter of compromise. I hated school partly because I'm a non-conformist. You can't change the world, so just adapt as best you can.

I'd be worried if a teacher wants a child medicated and has said so. I'd be getting them out of their classroom. They simply don't know how to handle kids who think differently from the norm.

4 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

It could be worse. I'm currently in Siberia, a friend of mine studied at university to become a teacher. She isn't a teacher because the standard salary is 15,000RUB a month (about 300-350AUD). 

Teaching kids is not an easy gig. So I won't pot all teachers. There's some good and some bad. The trick is to move to a school zone where there is a good government school.  School fees are much less and not really lower quality than private (primary) schools. I'm lucky in that my kids' day care/kinder and school are officially top 5% in the state. Not sure of of other states, but once you get a kid in school you can move out of the zone and stay in the school - and siblings can enter out of zone.

There's always going to be a level of conformity. And a level of social conditioning that I don't like, but I can't afford to home school so it's a matter of compromise. I hated school partly because I'm a non-conformist. You can't change the world, so just adapt as best you can.

I'd be worried if a teacher wants a child medicated and has said so. I'd be getting them out of their classroom. They simply don't know how to handle kids who think differently from the norm.

The asian immigrants (mostly chinese) created property hotspots around Sydney, based on schools. Once a public school become famous, property prices around the area rose. Many have done what you said in terms of renting within the catch zone and once the child is enrolled, they move out of the area, sometimes by a very long distance. The child is then having to spend a lot of time each day commuting to/from school.

1 hour ago, cobran20 said:

The asian immigrants (mostly chinese) created property hotspots around Sydney, based on schools. Once a public school become famous, property prices around the area rose. Many have done what you said in terms of renting within the catch zone and once the child is enrolled, they move out of the area, sometimes by a very long distance. The child is then having to spend a lot of time each day commuting to/from school.

I don't suggest moving long distances, but it's quite flexible if you want a particular school.

20 hours ago, cobran20 said:

They can waste as much as they like on Gonski, but not much is going to improve until the quality of the teachers is raised substantially. They have sunk extra monies in education and Australian kids are still underperforming relative to other countries. So just money is not going to do it.

Teaching is not respected or valued enough. How many kids want to be a teacher when they grow up?

I've known four teachers. One was an alcoholic who drank enough before (and during) school to drive away the jitters, but no enough to get noticed.He worked at a public school and to my knowledge still does. Does the minimum hours and to hell with the students. One smoked pot before school and during all breaks. He worked at one of Brisbane's most respected and expensive private schools. I think he also put in the bare minimum. He got fired. One worked at a private school. Would be at school by 7.30 and not leave till early evening, then do another few hours work at home in evening. She left to work for the union. Another one put in long hours at a public school.

I think the big difference between public and private is in private schools useless teachers get fired. In public schools they become principals or are shifted to desk jobs. 

Impeccable timing

https://thewest.com.au/news/education/wa-teachers-forced-out-in-competency-crackdown-ng-b88971559z

"A crackdown on inept teachers in public schools has led to nearly 30 teachers resigning or being sacked in the past two years."

30 teachers over 2 years doesn't seem to be a big change to me.

"defined under-performing teachers as those who struggled to manage students’ behaviour, failed to set tests or homework, did not provide classroom routine or were unable to deal effectively with queries from parents."

Not my definition. The above looks like control, conform and report. What about teach, inspire and grow.

Edited by Ugg