Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

To those who's names were never called

18 posts in this topic

Ooww... zaph, I think I understand how you feel. I was very much an outsider growing up being asian in a then very white Sweden. Heck, I am still a weirdo in the eyes of the public. Anders... the Korean viking... from Australia - yeah right! And I felt like a total girl repellant in adolescence until a miracle happened.

The Roberta Flack song is a masterpiece.

Even now during moments when I feel particularly weird I console myself by thinking about tor. And then I feel very normal.

Young people are worried about being seen as weird as they want to be cool (and fit in).

As you get older you realise that the cool people are the weird ones (that are also cultured, intelligent, etc., not just whacked out junkies).

I think if you're not seen as weird by the majority of the population then you're doing something wrong.

Edited by Mr Medved
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Mr Medved said:

Young people are worried about being seen as weird as they want to be cool (and fit in).

As you get older you realise that the cool people are the weird ones (that are also cultured, intelligent, etc., not just whacked out junkies).

I think if you're not seen as weird by the majority of the population then you're doing something wrong.

I'm at the stage/age where I don't particularly care about what anybody else thinks and just want to give work the flick and get on with a life more aligned with what I want! :(

2 hours ago, cobran20 said:

I'm at the stage/age where I don't particularly care about what anybody else thinks and just want to give work the flick and get on with a life more aligned with what I want! :(

Sell up and move overseas somewhere cheaper. Or as the pollies may say "get a better job" so you don't have to work as much.

I'm tinkering with the idea of moving abroad, have done so in the past, but need to balance needs of my kids, etc.

2 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Sell up and move overseas somewhere cheaper. Or as the pollies may say "get a better job" so you don't have to work as much.

I'm tinkering with the idea of moving abroad, have done so in the past, but need to balance needs of my kids, etc.

I've got kids and I doubt the Mrs would like to move O'seas, though I expect our kids to do so at some stage, even if for a period of time.

Been visiting a friend in the Sunshine coast. Quite nice and slower pace than Sydney. Should get change from selling my house, which would help.

Not sure if I would like the summer there, just like I'd hate to spend a winter in Tassie. I like to spend time outdoors, so weather/temps like the spring and autumn in Sydney are ideal for me.

3 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Not sure if I would like the summer there, just like I'd hate to spend a winter in Tassie. I like to spend time outdoors, so weather/temps like the spring and autumn in Sydney are ideal for me.

This is basically our issue. So many places are great in spring and autumn. Not so many for the whole summer or winter. We are trying out more tropical places or going to go for a hemisphere switch halfway through; a month of summer beaches and a month of skiing. Cost of travel is actually close enough to zero with points from the rest of the years travel but accommodation is high whereas a tropical place like cambodia is cheap to stay and _might_ be acceptable for the hot / cold months.

I'm pretty much like a hermit lifestyle at home so weather is not a major factor. After living in Canada and Central Asia in winter I realised that as long as you have decent housing/heating/insulation you just need to rug up in winter.

Biggest things for me are good schools and a good (private) hospital system.

Gold Coast is the closest I have come to the ideal weather for me. Summer a little hot, winter a little cold but all within acceptable bounds for an outdoor lifestyle year round. Cultural hotbed too.  The perfect weather I think would be at altitude near the equator.

1 person likes this

That derailed quickly!

So... my current setup is to spend spring summer and autumn in the Nordics and then October to February in Australia. This will be the first year  I will attempt to make that work together with (lack of) employment so we'll see if that is sustainable.

I really miss Australia...

On 31/07/2018 at 6:49 AM, AndersB said:

Ooww... zaph, I think I understand how you feel. I was very much an outsider growing up being asian in a then very white Sweden. Heck, I am still a weirdo in the eyes of the public. Anders... the Korean viking... from Australia - yeah right! And I felt like a total girl repellant in adolescence until a miracle happened.

The Roberta Flack song is a masterpiece.

Even now during moments when I feel particularly weird I console myself by thinking about tor. And then I feel very normal.

I don't feel anything. I was just posting about a song.

I bet you were quite desirable but didn't realise it - which would have made you more desirable. 

On 31/07/2018 at 2:44 PM, Mr Medved said:

I'm thinking about Cuba. It will probably be a ten year and 1000 page process. 

On 31/07/2018 at 5:32 PM, cobran20 said:

Been visiting a friend in the Sunshine coast. Quite nice and slower pace than Sydney. Should get change from selling my house, which would help.

Just walk slower in the heat. 

10 hours ago, Turkey said:

Gold Coast is the closest I have come to the ideal weather for me. Summer a little hot, winter a little cold but all within acceptable bounds for an outdoor lifestyle year round. Cultural hotbed too.  The perfect weather I think would be at altitude near the equator.

I lived in PNG for a bit, not far from the equator. On the beach. The weather never changed. It rained at 2. AM and PM. 

A huge benefit was that crops never knew the season. So they would flower and fruit several times a year, rather than just one.

Edited by zaph

5 hours ago, zaph said:

Just walk slower in the heat. 

I'll have to ride my bike at dusk during the summer to avoid melting!

I had a look at Noosaville, I could park the car next to the river and cast a fishing line like many were doing. I'd have to take a beach umbrella during the summer to stop frying.  But that lifestyle would consume a lot of my time. :-)

15 hours ago, Turkey said:

Spent some time and the nearby Lamington NP, at Bina Burra. Nice spot.

22 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I'm pretty much like a hermit lifestyle at home so weather is not a major factor. After living in Canada and Central Asia in winter I realised that as long as you have decent housing/heating/insulation you just need to rug up in winter.

Biggest things for me are good schools and a good (private) hospital system.

Ask Canadians why they migrated to Australia and chances are that most of them will mention avoiding the cold Canadian winters. That certainly has been my experience.