Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Police to gain new powers to check IDs at airports

9 posts in this topic

Police will be given sweeping new powers to demand identification from travellers under new laws to boost counter-terrorism efforts at Australia's airports.

The Australian Federal Police will be able to ask anyone for ID and eject them from the airport as part of a 2018 budget announcement that will also see the introduction of advanced X-ray and body scanning machines across the country.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull conceded the new powers were a big step but said they were necessary for "dangerous times".

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/dangerous-times-police-to-have-new-powers-to-check-ids-at-airports-20180515-p4zfbg.html

Inch by centimeter we march towards a police state. 

What reason do the police need to randomly identify someone for merely being in an airport? Under what circumstances will the cops ask for ID?

I understand airlines might want to ask for ID so they can ensure that naughty people on a 'no fly list' are denied boarding. By extension one might consider naughty people are not even allowed in airports - that would require every person entering an airport to be carded. 

The new rules will not require travellers to carry ID.

That's odd. 

Under existing laws, police can only demand ID if they have reasonable grounds to suspect someone is involved in criminal activity.

In Australia police have great powers if they have 'reasonable grounds'. I've often wondered what reasonable grounds are? 

IME when police want you to do something that you are not required to do they 'ask' in such a way that makes you believe you have to comply with the request. I've been 'asked' to empty my pockets one one occasion and to provide ID on another - just walking the st. I don't like the requests, but have complied on both occasions. I wonder if I refused whether they would have forced me to comply? 

Another thing that pisses me off about the Australian legal system is that evidence obtained illegally is admissible in court. It makes limited police powers to search a joke. 

Police state. Pure and simple.

I always avoid the "advanced" screening machines as they are harmful to health. At least in the USA you can always opt out.

Making it harder and harder to get off the grid. If you want to stay outside of the system just don't try to fly or have your children unregistered. Surely they could only access dna, if the children were born in state institutions.

Reality is proving to be closely related to fiction.

That's why the push to eliminate cash. It wasn't that long ago people were paid in cash for normal work, now you're forced to have a bank account.

If you don't register a child and obtain a birth certificate then they cannot engage in commerce. The birth certificate creates a legal identity ("strawman") for the living being. One can't exist without the other these days. There is a difference between operating "in the public" and "in the private" but I do not fully understand it. The legal system is like Alice in Wonderland, perhaps even more bizarre.

If you want to stay off the grid then you need multiple identities (multiple birth certificates, etc.). I have been told anecdotally that in remote regions birth registration documents are handed out in remote communities about once a month, otherwise they are closely guarded. Unless you want to farm such certificates the only other option I can think of is a Snowtown-like scenario... not really my cup of tea!

5 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

...the only other option I can think of is a Snowtown-like scenario... not really my cup of tea!

Emigrate to the highlands of PNG. :-)

8 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

That's why the push to eliminate cash. It wasn't that long ago people were paid in cash for normal work, now you're forced to have a bank account.

My first job while at school was paid in cash. Casual worker at Target. From the late 80s to the early 90s. Line up at a window at the allotted time and get an envelope stuffed with cash and the 'payslip' hand written on the outside. If it wasn't ready by 4pm Thursday you could sign on and get paid to sit there and wait till it was ready. 

If cash is eliminated the govt (and their buddies) will know everything we do. All those secrets that we use cash for - drugs, hookers, booze etc. From our transactions they will know exactly where we've been and how we behave. Having said that, some form of private tender will blossom. There are too many transactions that require anonymity for cash not to be replaced. 

15 hours ago, zaph said:

My first job while at school was paid in cash. Casual worker at Target. From the late 80s to the early 90s. Line up at a window at the allotted time and get an envelope stuffed with cash and the 'payslip' hand written on the outside. If it wasn't ready by 4pm Thursday you could sign on and get paid to sit there and wait till it was ready. 

If cash is eliminated the govt (and their buddies) will know everything we do. All those secrets that we use cash for - drugs, hookers, booze etc. From our transactions they will know exactly where we've been and how we behave. Having said that, some form of private tender will blossom. There are too many transactions that require anonymity for cash not to be replaced. 

They'll have to invent a crypto currency that the police forces cannot track. It will then propagate like wildfire.

23 hours ago, zaph said:

In some ways that would be good. Drugs, hookers and so on wouldn't be stigmatised as much if everyone knew that everyone else was doing it. Hypocritical "saving them from themselves" type politicians would be screwed.