Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Stan / netflix

12 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I go youtube and occasionally torrents, but I don't watch much.

I've got subscriptions to both netflix and stan. I was asking for content suggestions.

I haven't turned on the TV for years - find once I sit on the couch, I recline and fall asleep, doesn't happen in a chair in front of the pc. It's great being able to stop and start the shows too. Free to air I watch on their websites. 

You should give them a go, the first month is free. But if you don't want to continue remember to cancel or they'll starting charging you. It chews through data so you'll need a decent net plan.

I just watched the Letterman interview with Obama. Worth the watch and a bit of a different approach to an interview. 

Edit - A lot of shows come with the option to turn on a multitude of language subtitles or swap the language of the audio. Normally, English, Spanish and Chinese. Sometimes Italian, German, Arabic, Vietnamese etc. It makes it so much easier to watch a foreign language show to have audio in English rather than having to read what they are saying. It can be a bit annoying when they only  have one male and one female english voice. I reckon switching an English show's audio to Spanish and using English subtitles, or vice versa would or be a great help to learning another language. 

Edited by zaph

Hi zaph,

What's your preferred genre?

If you like horror/zombie/blood and guts, there seems to be a lot of material on netflix. My son watches these gory things, I can't stand.

However, I have watched a couple of episodes of Vikings. Apparently it is as close to authentic, as we have historically been able to prove. I watched a documentary about the making of it, before having a look at the episodes. Not to everyone's taste I imagine.

My wife watched "The Handmaid's Tale" which is an adaption of the Margaret Atwood book. Pretty good, I'm told.

I've also watched a few of the Children's cartoons, when the grand-kids have come over. Some I wouldn't probably pay to see at the cinema/theatre, but worthwhile when its on my subscription.

Personally, I'm more into Sci Fi, Futuristic, or Philosophical Thrillers. Occasionally I like a war movie, or one that stretches my imagination a little more.

Some movies I have watched that might warrant a look include "The Revenant", "Transcendent" "Equilibrium" "Bright" "War Machine" "The Fundamentals of Caring" "Django Unchained"

45 minutes ago, Solomon said:

Hi zaph,

What's your preferred genre?

If you like horror/zombie/blood and guts, there seems to be a lot of material on netflix. My son watches these gory things, I can't stand.

However, I have watched a couple of episodes of Vikings. Apparently it is as close to authentic, as we have historically been able to prove. I watched a documentary about the making of it, before having a look at the episodes. Not to everyone's taste I imagine.

My wife watched "The Handmaid's Tale" which is an adaption of the Margaret Atwood book. Pretty good, I'm told.

I've also watched a few of the Children's cartoons, when the grand-kids have come over. Some I wouldn't probably pay to see at the cinema/theatre, but worthwhile when its on my subscription.

Personally, I'm more into Sci Fi, Futuristic, or Philosophical Thrillers. Occasionally I like a war movie, or one that stretches my imagination a little more.

Some movies I have watched that might warrant a look include "The Revenant", "Transcendent" "Equilibrium" "Bright" "War Machine" "The Fundamentals of Caring" "Django Unchained"

I'll check out some of your suggestions. I love streaming because you don't have to commit. You can watch a bit and then decide if you want to continue watching. 

I don't have a genre. Not interested in blood and guts, but if it includes some then that's ok. 

Here's some of what I've watched and enjoyed:

• Sons of Anarchy
  • Breaking bad
  • Weeds
  • Younger
  • La Casa De Papel
  • Narcos
  • Start of Stranger Things
  • Peaky Blinders - the start
  • The Sinner
  • Please Like Me
  • Bloodline
  • Black List
  • Line of duty
  • Most UK cop shows
  • East Siders
  • Lucifer
  • Shameless
  • Republic of Doyle
  • The end of the f*cking World
  • Narcos
  •  

"You're the worst" was a funny first season that went really interesting in the second for a comedy.

"The expanse" is great sci fi and, according to those that read the books, only going to get more interesting.

"Last Week Tonight with John Oliver" if you want an interesting "what did they do after the Late Show finished?" show.

I must be boring as I know none of those shows.

But I'm more into non-fiction stuff so youtube is easier to find what I want.

3 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

I must be boring as I know none of those shows.

But I'm more into non-fiction stuff so youtube is easier to find what I want.

You haven't heard of breaking bad? Check yourself into the asylum. 

6 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Actually I've heard of that but never seen it before.

Subscribe to Stan and have a couple of days off work. Breaking Bad is the best tv series ever.

I'm not that smart. I simply don't have the time to watch television.

My father has the series on DVDs I think so I could always borrow them (if I had the time).

Upper middle bogan. Great oz comedy. Terrible acting, but I think it's supposed to be that way. Piss take on Australian bogans/toffs. 

Disjointed. USA comedy set in a legal pot shop. Starring Kathy Bates.