Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobran20

Raze, rebuild, repeat: why Japan knocks down its houses after 30 years

3 posts in this topic

How to keep the building boom go forever! :-)

link

It is similar to their policy with cars where old bombs are not allowed.

IMO, the building standards in Australia are bad enough that houses need to be rebuilt/rennovated at about the same period of time.

" enhancing the insulation "

I don't believe it :) Japanese build quality is f*cking atrocious. Last year we had about a fortnight of pretty decent snow. I have yet to see double glazing and single glazed sliding doorsto the outside generally aren't airtight.

They have a "traditional" thing here of tables with a small heater built in and in winter you attach rugs to the table to create a tiny space in the house for everyone to stay warm...

Our apartment is designed for Koreans. they are smart, they insist on heated floors.

We're in the middle of starting a process which might end up with building an adventure tourism type dojo/hotel business. Interestingly there are tax breaks for building something that will last more than 20 odd years (personally I'd rather go post apocalyptic wasteland factory style but I have been told people spend more money on Japanesey stuff :) )

"Traditional" == austere? It does seem that the Japanese sacrifice individualism for the collective good. I wouldn't write off the post-apocalyptic wasteland style. Though I suspect a strict edo period resort could also work. With you as Tokugawa. :)