Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Politicans waste??

18 posts in this topic

Labor backbencher Kimberley Kitching has fast become one of the hardest-working members of Parliament, spending $20,000 on domestic flights while jetting between committee meetings in her first three months in office – more than Turnbull government ministers Dan Tehan, Greg Hunt and Darren Chester.

The media does a great job of knifing politicians for wasting money. 

20k on flights in 12 weeks is one flight per week. Seems like she's doing her job. No implication she was a dwarf from WA visiting Melbourne for football matches. 

12 hours ago, zaph said:

The media does a great job of knifing politicians for wasting money. 

20k on flights in 12 weeks is one flight per week. Seems like she's doing her job. No implication she was a dwarf from WA visiting Melbourne for football matches. 

Labor backbencher Kimberley Kitching spending more on flights than most ministers

Labor backbencher Kimberley Kitching has fast become one of the hardest-working members of Parliament, spending $20,000 on domestic flights while jetting between committee meetings in her first three months in office – more than Turnbull government ministers Dan Tehan, Greg Hunt and Darren Chester...

So the obvious question to ask is why is an opposition backbencher flying more often than senior government ministers and the travel still related to her role as an MP? If the flights are for Labor party purposes and paid by the party, then it is a private matter. If the taxpayers are funding the flights, then there should be public accountability.

Also, is she organising her flights in an efficient manner, so as to use one flight to undertake multiple meetings/tasks that could be organised to occur on the same day(s)?

Without knowing the details, on the surface it seems to be that she works as efficiently as the council planners for road works, when soon after they finish road works on a particular strip, they start excavating it again. It has happened often in front of where I work.

This is the problem with tax payers' money - it is often considered free & unlimited by those trusted to spend it. 

3 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Labor backbencher Kimberley Kitching spending more on flights than most ministers

So the obvious question to ask is why is an opposition backbencher flying more often than senior government ministers and the travel still related to her role as an MP? If the flights are for Labor party purposes and paid by the party, then it is a private matter. If the taxpayers are funding the flights, then there should be public accountability.

She's a member of five Senate committees that have met in Canberra, Melbourne or Brisbane. She resides in Melbourne. A one way business class flight mel>Cbr is around $700, around $1100 to Brisbane. I think it's reasonable that we pay for her to return home at weekends. So $20k in 12 weeks doesn't raise any red flags for me.

There is the question of whether pollies should be travelling business class. I think they should be. 

Also, is she organising her flights in an efficient manner, so as to use one flight to undertake multiple meetings/tasks that could be organised to occur on the same day(s)?

Who knows. But she doesn't set when parliament sits or is solely responsible for when and where committees meet. 

Without knowing the details, on the surface it seems to be that she works as efficiently as the council planners for road works, when soon after they finish road works on a particular strip, they start excavating it again. It has happened often in front of where I work.

This is the problem with tax payers' money - it is often considered free & unlimited by those trusted to spend it. 

All big organisations make stupid decisions and rules in the name of efficiency and accountability. Govt and businesses. 

34 minutes ago, zaph said:

Are you Andrew Bolt?

Read the blog, it would seem the penalty payment is way in excess of commercial interest rates. 

No I'm not.

If you look at the commercial penalties charged for late payments of unsecured loans, plus the normal interest that would have been accrued, the bill would have been higher.

50 minutes ago, zaph said:

All big organisations make stupid decisions and rules in the name of efficiency and accountability. Govt and businesses. 

Difference is that businesses are forced to review their inefficiencies by the market and shareholders.

Governments are never under the same pressure.

Social Services Minister Christian Porter is set to replace Attorney-General George Brandis as Australia's first law officer as Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull ends the political year with a shake-up of his frontbench.

In a long-expected move, Senator Brandis will be named as Australia's high commissioner in London, 

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/nsw/christian-porter-firms-to-replace-george-brandis-in-malcolm-turnbull-reshuffle-20171218-h06kib.html

I didn't realise the high commisioner was a member of cabinet. Turnbull taking graft to a new level.

3 hours ago, zaph said:

I didn't realise the high commisioner was a member of cabinet. Turnbull taking graft to a new level.

and Labor has never engaged in the same practice?!!

Plum Jobs

44 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

and Labor has never engaged in the same practice?!!

Plum Jobs

Of course. But I think it's customary to wait until the indent from your fat arse on the senate leather has gone till you get a post overseas.

This is the first instance where an MP has been appointed to a 'high' post while still sitting that I can remember. 

44 minutes ago, zaph said:

Of course. But I think it's customary to wait until the indent from your fat arse on the senate leather has gone till you get a post overseas.

This is the first instance where an MP has been appointed to a 'high' post while still sitting that I can remember. 

Perhaps. But at the end of the day it is jobs for the mates irrespective:

Palaszczuk appoints 26 Labor people to plum public postings

...since taking office last year, the Palaszczuk government has appointed at least 26 Labor Party figures and supporters to government-owned corporations, health boards and other bureaucratic appointments....

Federal Labor MP Michael Danby charged taxpayers almost $15,000 for flights and other expenses linked to six trips to sunny Queensland with his wife over several years, Fairfax Media can reveal.

On three of those trips – with expenditure totalling nearly $7500 – Mr Danby conducted no parliamentary business at all but still used public money for flights, Commonwealth limousines and taxis.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/labor-mp-michael-danby-charged-taxpayers-almost-15000-for-queensland-trips-with-his-wife-20180109-h0ffdu.html

This guy deserves a medal. 20 years in a job and not a single achievement. 20 years and someone's only just noticed sir lunch a lot. 

To top it off I think he's eligible for the olde school defined pension scam. This man should be made <insert job that does nothing> when he gets booted out of parliament. 

9 hours ago, zaph said:

This guy deserves a medal. 20 years in a job and not a single achievement. 20 years and someone's only just noticed sir lunch a lot. 

To top it off I think he's eligible for the olde school defined pension scam. This man should be made <insert job that does nothing> when he gets booted out of parliament. 

He wouldn't be the only politician to qualify for that title. It can also apply to many in the public service.

What exactly did he buy?

It takes a little bit of effort to spend $7500. Flights (Jetstar/Qantas/Virgin), Accommodation (Double Room/Executive suite, Studio apartment??) Food (Macca's, KFC, Hungry Jacks, etc.) Entertainment (Birch, Carroll and Coyle $40 to see a movie? Alcoholic beverages?? Gaming?? Travel fares, etc.

These guys live in a whole different world, to the working classes.

I'm almost prepared to go back to barbarism. Every person for themselves. I wouldn't survive long, but at least I would feel liberated.

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

What exactly did he buy?

A fine bottle of brandy?

It takes a little bit of effort to spend $7500. Flights (Jetstar/Qantas/Virgin), Accommodation (Double Room/Executive suite, Studio apartment??) Food (Macca's, KFC, Hungry Jacks, etc.) Entertainment (Birch, Carroll and Coyle $40 to see a movie? Alcoholic beverages?? Gaming?? Travel fares, etc.

Not really. He did 6 trips to the GC. At $1k x 6* 2 (wife) he seems to be quite frugal. Air travel alone could be $24k, add in accommodation, and meals and it's easily $30k. <the amounts indicate he was trying to hide his rort - oh the humanity>

These guys live in a whole different world, to the working classes.

I'm almost prepared to go back to barbarism. Every person for themselves. I wouldn't survive long, but at least I would feel liberated.

It's a bit off topic but I want to have a whinge about the BCC.

I have three bins. All mainly dark green...

Lime green lid for garden waste. (optional and pay extra for this)

Yellow lid for recycling. 

Matching dark green lid for general waste. But I've noticed new bins now have a red lid.

A few weeks ago the council ripped off all the general waste bin lids and replaced them with red ones. What a complete waste of money and plastic. If I could work out which bin to put the rubbish in I'm sure the far more qualified garbo's could work out which was which.

Second rant:

A few weeks ago someone came and spray painted instructions on the road near me - obviously instructions for some sort of roadworks. I thought they were going to put in proper painted lane separations, road based stop signs etc - a bit over the top, but ok. No! They're resurfacing. The road was fine. Several streets over there's a road that resembles an Afghan goat track, but that's not being resurfaced. There's been the usual 4 people leaning on a shovel and one working. Only doing 3 hours work a day - but that's fine, it's the Australian way. So far it's a terrible job.