Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Ops I didn't realise I was a citizen

46 posts in this topic

This Barista reckons I can get $200 a day for each member who sat in parliament when they shouldn't have. Where do I sign up? I'd love to see a few of them bankrupted. In lieu of payment, I'll have Barnaby do the dusting in a french maids outfit for a year. 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-saga-will-not-be-resolved-until-at-least-october-high-court-hears-20170824-gy31ds.html

I'm going to get the lawyer from The Castle to represent me. I reckon he'll settle for a carton of beer a day rather than 20 grand.

What happens to all the bills these clowns voted on and were ineligible? 

How much is it in today's inflation adjusted currency?

Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia

...Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia provides that if a Senator or member of the House of Representatives is constitutionally ineligible or disqualified from holding that position, they will be liable to pay any person who sues for it 100 pounds for every day that they have sat.[1] With the introduction of the Australian dollar on 14 February 1966, where 100 pounds equaled A$200.[2] The section has never been invoked.[3]...

I've been aware of Sue v. Hill for a number of years, so have always assumed that if you hold a second citizenship you can't sit in Parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_v_Hill

(What is interesting is the Commonwealth Constitution is still an act of British Parliament, yet UK citizen is a foreigner.)

I'm not sure how the High Court will spin the latest cases but anticipate it will be pressured into spinning up legitimacy of the current members of Parliament.

Cobran - I'd be happy taking non-inflated adjusted compensation. :)

Senator Roberts rejected the suggestion that sending an email with the subject line “Am I still a British citizen?” meant he thought he was British at some point.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/malcolm-roberts-political-future-hangs-in-the-balance-amid-high-court-hearing-20170921-p4yw1d.html

How could the question am "Am I still a British citizen be interpreted?". How dumb do these politicians think we are?

He said he did not read the forms, did not remember signing it, but would have done it because his father told him to.

Probably because he was illiterate and maybe still is. 

14 minutes ago, zaph said:

How could the question am "Am I still a British citizen be interpreted?". How dumb do these politicians think we are?

Probably because he was illiterate and maybe still is. 

His pathetic excuse leaves you speechless!

32 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

His pathetic excuse leaves you speechless!

If he was in one of the majors at least he would have been trained on how to lie.

In next week's episode we teach you how to shake a hand and pilfer a wallet at the same time.

16 hours ago, zaph said:

If he was in one of the majors at least he would have been trained on how to lie.

He did lie ... just not convincingly!

Critics of One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts like to tease him with the not-so-affectionate nickname "Mr 77": a reference to the number of first preference votes he attracted at last year's election.

"Mr 77" could soon be replaced by "Mr 19".

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/fraser-anning-got-just-19-votes-last-year-he-could-be-australias-next-senator-20170926-gyoxxw.html

But wait there's more...

However there is a roadblock to Anning's ambitions. While he was eligible to run for election last year, he's now facing potential bankruptcy. A subsidiary of the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, ABL Nominees, launched personal bankruptcy action against the Annings in July - just before Roberts got into trouble.

No one involved in the proceedings will talk about what's likely to happen. However the matter could become clearer after Anning's next court date, on October 3.

If he is bankrupted he too will be ruled constitutionally ineligible to remain in the Senate.

That would hand One Nation a casual vacancy that it could fill with anyone it wanted, including Roberts 

What a farce it would be if Roberts is ruled ineligible and replaced by himself. 

Of the seven federal MPs hauled before the High Court over their citizenship status, only One Nation's Malcolm Roberts and Greens senator Scott Ludlam were wrongfully elected, the Commonwealth contends.

In its official submission to the High Court the government says the other five politicians - Nationals Barnaby Joyce, Fiona Nash and Matt Canavan; Queensland Green Larissa Waters; and crossbencher Nick Xenophon - should be cleared because they were ignorant of their status.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/only-malcolm-roberts-scott-ludlam-ineligible-george-brandis-argues-in-high-court-20170926-gypan6.html

It's a long-held principle that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

7 hours ago, zaph said:

It's a long-held principle that ignorance of the law is no excuse.

This would be awareness of the law in another country though which seems a little different. Seems odd to me that they didn't check though.

3 hours ago, tor said:

This would be awareness of the law in another country though which seems a little different. Seems odd to me that they didn't check though.

I can understand the situation for politicians born in Australia, with grandparent(s) born in countries where the grandchildren automatically get citizenship without them knowing it.

But anything else, especially where the politician was born overseas is just plain incompetence. I hope that from now on, every elected politician requires for its citizenship to be reviewed by an independent body.

21 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

I can understand the situation for politicians born in Australia, with grandparent(s) born in countries where the grandchildren automatically get citizenship without them knowing it.

My parents are both British and Australian citizens. I've always known I have some claim to British citizenship. It seems I have to apply and be of good character so I may not qualify. #$%^&

I hope that from now on, every elected politician requires for its citizenship to be reviewed by an independent body.

I hope not. I'm enjoying this whole affair. I have to get some entertainment for my taxes. 

1 minute ago, Mr Medved said:

Your honour, I'm not guilty because I didn't know I couldn't murder that man...

You should hire Dennis Denuto. 

On 27/09/2017 at 6:24 PM, zaph said:

You should hire Dennis Denuto. 

It appears that the Gimp from QLD did hire Denuto.

One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts' High Court bid to save his job rests in part on the notion it would be "fundamentally un-Australian" to discriminate between natural-born and immigrant Australians.

But on the third day of the "citizenship seven" hearings in Canberra, the High Court justices became impatient with the arguments presented by Senator Roberts' SC Robert Newlinds, and repeatedly asked him to hurry along.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/high-court-justices-lose-patience-with-one-nation-arguments-as-lawyer-declares-it-unaustralian-to-penalise-immigrants-20171012-gyzg5y.html

The problem is he used Gumtree to hire a barista when he clearly should have used air tasker

Is One Nation un-Australian?

On the matter of whether the likes of One Nation senator Malcolm Roberts should, or should not, be removed from Parliament on the grounds of dual citizenship, we will, of course, let the High Court decide and do not presume any result either way. I think, however, we may at least exult in the deliciousness of Senator Roberts' counsel, Robert Newlinds, SC, arguing that it was "un-Australian" to take the view that there was any difference whatsoever in the Australian-ness of Australians born overseas, compared with those born here. Wonderful! I repeat, for the High Court to decide. But I can't help but feel that either by the actions of the High Court or by the workings of democracy at the next election a village somewhere in Queensland is about to get its idiot back.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/opinion/fitz-files-anglican-apology-applauded-but-what-about-attack-on-julia-baird-20171013-gz0m95.html

An article written by an imbecile. 

11 hours ago, cobran20 said:

2 stay, 5 are gone! Hung government now that Barnaby is gone and 1 seat majority gone.

ABC News

In the 7.30 interview with Barnaby, he looked scared and aged. Some of his opponents have thrown muck but the media has not reported exactly what. I'm sure the people of New England will find out what that muck is if they don't know already. I give it a 50/50 chance he won't even end up running. 

Now, where's my 100 pounds per day for Barnaby sitting when he shouldn't have? Is it sitting days of parliament or days of sitting as a member? He's been in parliament for around 12 years. Where's my 400,000+ pounds? I'll give Saul Goodman a call in the morning. 

ABC's green reckons Barnaby will increase his vote from sympathetics. It's a bit unprecedented. Perhaps voters will dump him for being a cheat??

10 hours ago, zaph said:

Some of his opponents have thrown muck but the media has not reported exactly what...

From reading other forums, it might be extra-marital activities with a staff member.

5 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

From reading other forums, it might be extra-marital activities with a staff member.

I got that impression. I think it was hinted but not outright said in the media. It didn't seem to gain much traction. I guess they didn't want to leave themselves open to defamation. The other parties will have a mining size digger out looking for dirt on Joyce. 

New England is a conservative area, they won't be happy about a pollie banging his secretary. 

Senate president Stephen Parry has sensationally quit the upper house after advice from the British Home Office that he is a dual citizen.

In a major blow to the Turnbull government, Senator Parry said he would quit as president and as a Tasmanian senator immediately and clear the way for a replacement to be named.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/senate-president-stephen-parry-to-resign-after-confirming-he-is-british-20171101-gzcjxc.html

But the acting leaders of the Liberal, Nationals and Labor Parties – Julie Bishop, Nigel Scullion and Tanya Plibersek – all pushed back against the idea of an audit.

Why?

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/his-family-stung-by-dual-citizenship-claims-josh-frydenberg-comes-out-fighting-20171103-gze2uc.html

"It's time we return to the land of common sense and the rule of law."

Mr Turnbull rejected growing calls for an audit of all MPs' citizenship status, saying: "we are nation governed by the rule of law", and insisted the High Court was the appropriate avenue for airing such allegations.

Yes it is Turnbull. If there is any doubt refer the matter to the high court Mal, you are not the chief justice of the High court and your legal 'advice' so far has been terrible. 

"experts in this area"

Have they engaged Dennis Denuto again?

"It's absurd to think you could become a citizen of a country unwillingly."

I had no choice in becoming an Australian citizen, and it was unwillingly. Being born in Australia to Australian citizens it was unwilling. My parents are dual citizens, so I also unwillingly (not unknown) became a dual citizen. 

"A lot of people came without documentation, or minimal documentation. You'd have to go through all the archives in all the host countries. It could take many years," he said.

Just enough time for the Liberal/Nationa/LNP/CLP coalition to stay in power. Years? - what a steaming pile of BS.

Pull out the Jew card. It trumps women, gays, blacks or aliens. What about all the other holocausts?

'Josh you can do whatever you want, your mother is a jew.'