Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Ops I didn't realise I was a citizen

7 posts in this topic

This Barista reckons I can get $200 a day for each member who sat in parliament when they shouldn't have. Where do I sign up? I'd love to see a few of them bankrupted. In lieu of payment, I'll have Barnaby do the dusting in a french maids outfit for a year. 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/citizenship-saga-will-not-be-resolved-until-at-least-october-high-court-hears-20170824-gy31ds.html

I'm going to get the lawyer from The Castle to represent me. I reckon he'll settle for a carton of beer a day rather than 20 grand.

What happens to all the bills these clowns voted on and were ineligible? 

How much is it in today's inflation adjusted currency?

Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia

...Section 46 of the Constitution of Australia provides that if a Senator or member of the House of Representatives is constitutionally ineligible or disqualified from holding that position, they will be liable to pay any person who sues for it 100 pounds for every day that they have sat.[1] With the introduction of the Australian dollar on 14 February 1966, where 100 pounds equaled A$200.[2] The section has never been invoked.[3]...

I've been aware of Sue v. Hill for a number of years, so have always assumed that if you hold a second citizenship you can't sit in Parliament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_v_Hill

(What is interesting is the Commonwealth Constitution is still an act of British Parliament, yet UK citizen is a foreigner.)

I'm not sure how the High Court will spin the latest cases but anticipate it will be pressured into spinning up legitimacy of the current members of Parliament.

Cobran - I'd be happy taking non-inflated adjusted compensation. :)

Senator Roberts rejected the suggestion that sending an email with the subject line “Am I still a British citizen?” meant he thought he was British at some point.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/malcolm-roberts-political-future-hangs-in-the-balance-amid-high-court-hearing-20170921-p4yw1d.html

How could the question am "Am I still a British citizen be interpreted?". How dumb do these politicians think we are?

He said he did not read the forms, did not remember signing it, but would have done it because his father told him to.

Probably because he was illiterate and maybe still is. 

14 minutes ago, zaph said:

How could the question am "Am I still a British citizen be interpreted?". How dumb do these politicians think we are?

Probably because he was illiterate and maybe still is. 

His pathetic excuse leaves you speechless!

32 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

His pathetic excuse leaves you speechless!

If he was in one of the majors at least he would have been trained on how to lie.

In next week's episode we teach you how to shake a hand and pilfer a wallet at the same time.

16 hours ago, zaph said:

If he was in one of the majors at least he would have been trained on how to lie.

He did lie ... just not convincingly!