Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staringclown

two year olds should be taught coding...

10 posts in this topic

I'm not sure how two year-olds could write code. It requires the ability to read and spell (not to mention syntax) - unless a programming language is specifically designed so that you don't need to be able to perform basic literacy skills. That's without considering logic and constructs like variables, functions, objects, etc.

Speaking with people at the local primary school, last year only two prep students could read coming into primary school - around 3% of the student population. So while I agree it's a good idea to start early I don't think two years of age will work without a new language developed that they can use... and even then it may not be feasible.

My son and daughter could both recognise letters at the age of two, but programming is a massive leap above that. My son started reading music at four, but he's nowhere near the ability to read sheet music, only really basic stuff. My bias is towards teaching music and multiple language for pre-school children, not coding. I just haven't figured out the best way to introduce written East Asian characters... maybe Mrs Medved can introduce Mandarin and I'll try and pick up some katakana.

21 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

My bias is towards teaching music and multiple language for pre-school children, not coding. I just haven't figured out the best way to introduce written East Asian characters... maybe Mrs Medved can introduce Mandarin and I'll try and pick up some katakana.

Kids pick up languages easily. If Mrs Medved speaks Mandarin she should just speak to the kids in it and they will pick it up.

It's a crime that we don't pass on the language to our kids. My friend (Ed) is of Norwegian descent. Dad Norwegian, mum Aussie - spent their first few years in Norway. Mum speaks Norwegian. When they came back to Australia his brother was struggling at school and the teachers told them to stop speaking Norwegian at home. Ed could have spoken fluent Norwegian but can't because of the teacher's advice. Turned out the brother was an idiot. 

Mrs Medved is a native Russian speaker so the kids understand Russian, don't speak it much though. Mandarin is an added bonus but we don't use it much at home. We listen to a Japanese language CD in the car so they pick up phrases, and we watch Ghibli Studio films with the Japanese soundtrack. Cartoons are a great way to teach another language to kids but it is hard to find ones that are appropriate for learning the language and keeping them entertained.

First time I have come across tentacle erotica. Not sure I'll watch with the kids though. :)

I first saw that at an "Anime Festival" at that cinema in Glebe, a new at the time girlfriend invited me along with a bunch of her art student friends. I think I was the only one that knew what it was going in (engineering students had internet access).

Man that is weird sh*t. Watched the first 40 minutes before going to bed. It's so terrible it's hypnotically watchable... sort of like watching a car crash.

The Japanese certainly know how to do weird sh*t well.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:58 AM, zaph said:

Kids pick up languages easily. If Mrs Medved speaks Mandarin she should just speak to the kids in it and they will pick it up.

It's a crime that we don't pass on the language to our kids. My friend (Ed) is of Norwegian descent. Dad Norwegian, mum Aussie - spent their first few years in Norway. Mum speaks Norwegian. When they came back to Australia his brother was struggling at school and the teachers told them to stop speaking Norwegian at home. Ed could have spoken fluent Norwegian but can't because of the teacher's advice. Turned out the brother was an idiot. 

We do seem to pass on citizenship rather than language...

Apparently Norwegian is about the easiest second language for native english speakers to learn. I found that depressing as I was so proud of having learned another language...