Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staringclown

aged care

22 posts in this topic

Just watched 7.30 report about aged care facilities being reviewed by some government board every three years. Why can't aged care facilities be subject to the same kind of review process as air B&B? Or even eBay. Open forum site with a ratings system for the facility and actual reviews by the families of the residents. This would provide a more informative site for decisions to be made. I can see an opportunity for the running of such a site though I imagine the legal bullying and take down notices would cause the owners significant grief. Which may go some way to answering my question. But what if the government ran the site? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, staringclown said:

Just watched 7.30 report about aged care facilities being reviewed by some government board every three years. Why can't aged care facilities be subject to the same kind of review process as air B&B? Or even eBay. Open forum site with a ratings system for the facility and actual reviews by the families of the residents. This would provide a more informative site for decisions to be made. I can see an opportunity for the running of such a site though I imagine the legal bullying and take down notices would cause the owners significant grief. Which may go some way to answering my question. But what if the government ran the site? 

Didn't watch the show. 

The government would never run such a site. If they did it would be so highly moderated it would be useless - no negative review would ever get posted. It's not a bad idea though. Think of the advertising possibilities - hearing aids, diapers, wheel chairs etc.

This is quite a vulnerable customer base so I think govt intervention from time to time is necessary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ms clowns mum has recently entered the system. Oldtimers. There was little to no info on good homes. Luckily ms clowns sister works in paliative care in Victoria and knew some people in Mildura. The place we decided on is quite good. A 300k deposit is required else the rent is not covered by the pension.

There is a bit of self interest. I'll end up in one myself eventually. No kids so I'll need to bribe some nieces with the promise of an inheritance.;) 

It needs to be fixed. I haven't checked whether such a site exists but I suspect you're correct about the government running such a site. I think I'll explore it further. To add to your list of possible revenue for such a site I'm thinking pharmaceuticals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, staringclown said:

Ms clowns mum has recently entered the system. Oldtimers. There was little to no info on good homes. Luckily ms clowns sister works in paliative care in Victoria and knew some people in Mildura. The place we decided on is quite good. A 300k deposit is required else the rent is not covered by the pension.

There is a bit of self interest. I'll end up in one myself eventually. No kids so I'll need to bribe some nieces with the promise of an inheritance.;) 

It needs to be fixed. I haven't checked whether such a site exists but I suspect you're correct about the government running such a site. I think I'll explore it further. To add to your list of possible revenue for such a site I'm thinking pharmaceuticals.

$300k deposit (that you will lose over time) is peanuts compared to Sydney, where I've seen figures up to $1m and still have to pay rent out of the retiree's pocket.

The industry seems like a giant rip off. Overseas aged care seems like a good option. If anything, the food should be tastier compared to what I've seen being served.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cobran20 said:

$300k deposit (that you will lose over time) is peanuts compared to Sydney, where I've seen figures up to $1m and still have to pay rent out of the retiree's pocket.

The industry seems like a giant rip off. Overseas aged care seems like a good option. If anything, the food should be tastier compared to what I've seen being served.

 

Surely that is getting to the point where it would be cheaper to hire a live in nurse wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tor said:

Surely that is getting to the point where it would be cheaper to hire a live in nurse wouldn't it?

You need to hire multiple for 24/365 care, plus standby in case one is sick/quits. That will not be cheap either,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A million bucks + rent is a decent chunk of cash. Lots of the locals here stay at home even when they are crazy decrepit so I guess there must be some way of setting it up. Aging population in Australia means it might be worth investigating options... (unless you were referring to some kind of insanely high end care which a couple of people use).

Personally I'd set up a small block of town houses, organise local drug dealers, find someone to organise the orgies and hire a hard core chef and brewer / distiller. A million bucks plus rent should get you an awesome last few years of hedonism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tor said:

A million bucks + rent is a decent chunk of cash. Lots of the locals here stay at home even when they are crazy decrepit so I guess there must be some way of setting it up. Aging population in Australia means it might be worth investigating options... (unless you were referring to some kind of insanely high end care which a couple of people use).

Personally I'd set up a small block of town houses, organise local drug dealers, find someone to organise the orgies and hire a hard core chef and brewer / distiller. A million bucks plus rent should get you an awesome last few years of hedonism.

I want the option of euthanasia for myself.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my grandmother got diagnosed with terminal cancer I went part time at uni to look after her during the day and mum and dad took the evening shift. Oddly I think it was being told she was dying that killed her rather than the disease. She just gave up. 

When we couldn't cope she went to a nursing home. As she didn't have any assets there was nothing to pay and the facility just took her pension. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cobran20 said:

I want the option of euthanasia for myself.

It's really weird that we put a suffering dog down but not a human. It's inhumane to let an animal suffer but it's fine for a human to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zaph said:

It's really weird that we put a suffering dog down but not a human. It's inhumane to let an animal suffer but it's fine for a human to. 

The aged retirement business has a vested interest in keeping the aged alive - there is no money to be earned from the dead!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zaph said:

When my grandmother got diagnosed with terminal cancer I went part time at uni to look after her during the day and mum and dad took the evening shift. Oddly I think it was being told she was dying that killed her rather than the disease. She just gave up. 

When we couldn't cope she went to a nursing home. As she didn't have any assets there was nothing to pay and the facility just took her pension. 

My father died of cancer. I wouldn't wish the last 6 months of his life on my worst enemies. He certainly wanted out well before his natural 'expiry date'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a saying I read years ago which may be good advice: work in the first world, retire in the third world. I'd rather never retire but physically there gets a point when you need assistance.

If you get set up with decent health care (and they can exist in "cheap" countries) then quality of living in your old age will be much, much higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cobran20 said:

The aged retirement business has a vested interest in keeping the aged alive - there is no money to be earned from the dead!

Maybe they need to diversify. There's a motza to be made in death. Google tells me a minimum of $3k for a BBQ. But you wouldn't want to be stingy for a loved one. So there's flowers, caskets, cars, priests, parties etc. Easily $10k to dispose of a corpse.

I've told my family to just chuck me in the wheelie bin on collection night when I go. I know my parents would go all out if it's left to them. If it's left up to my sister she'll bury me in a shallow grave somewhere on her 180 acres. I hope sis get's the gig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me of watching Grapes of Wrath when the grandfather died. He was basically dumped in a ditch with a note saying he died of old age.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cobran20 said:

My father died of cancer. I wouldn't wish the last 6 months of his life on my worst enemies. He certainly wanted out well before his natural 'expiry date'.

I think my gran's end was ok. She became severely demented and I don't think she knew the suffering mostly. But who knows what goes on in the mind of another.

I would have smothered her with a pillow or dosed her up on morphine (if I hadn't taken it all) if she'd wanted. By the time that point came she couldn't really consent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zaph said:

Maybe they need to diversify. There's a motza to be made in death. Google tells me a minimum of $3k for a BBQ. But you wouldn't want to be stingy for a loved one. So there's flowers, caskets, cars, priests, parties etc. Easily $10k to dispose of a corpse.

I've told my family to just chuck me in the wheelie bin on collection night when I go. I know my parents would go all out if it's left to them. If it's left up to my sister she'll bury me in a shallow grave somewhere on her 180 acres. I hope sis get's the gig. 

That 'diversification' does not generate anywhere near as much income as keeping a corpse alive for another year or two. The  'diversification'  is just extra cream on the cake at the last possible end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, cobran20 said:

I want the option of euthanasia for myself.

I'd like the option of euthanasia for you too Cobran. :D

Seriously though, it should be an option. I don't see point in prolonging pain or anyones exit if that is their wish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, zaph said:

Maybe they need to diversify. There's a motza to be made in death. Google tells me a minimum of $3k for a BBQ. But you wouldn't want to be stingy for a loved one. So there's flowers, caskets, cars, priests, parties etc. Easily $10k to dispose of a corpse.

I've told my family to just chuck me in the wheelie bin on collection night when I go. I know my parents would go all out if it's left to them. If it's left up to my sister she'll bury me in a shallow grave somewhere on her 180 acres. I hope sis get's the gig. 

Get her to build a small lake if she doesn't have one already. Viking pyre for the win.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, tor said:

Get her to build a small lake if she doesn't have one already. Viking pyre for the win.

+1 Viking pyre would seem my best option now. It's a pity they have banned fireworks in the ACT. I've always fancied having my ashes blasted into space like Hunter S.  I may not have made it to the stratosphere but I could have covered a fair area of Woden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tor said:

Get her to build a small lake if she doesn't have one already. Viking pyre for the win.

She has a permanently flowing creek that empties into the Brisbane river. Will that do?

If I haven't posted for a while and you see a burning body floating down the Brisbane river on the news that will be me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is all being driven by our exorbitant house price economy. (And I'm sad to say, I think it is now the new norm) Too many people now have vast fortunes made on house prices. They just can't ever go down again. Everything is now valued against the elevated price of homes.

One day, someone (all of us) will realise just what the banks/greed did to our world!! They and all those who have sucked off the teat (Governments, Local Councils, Public authorities) have totally wrecked our lifestyle.

The aged care industry all assumes the elderly are sitting on a juicy rich piece of real estate. For those who are renting or in public housing there is just no way they are going to afford those sorts of deposits. It will come back to the situation when I was a boy and family looked after their elderly in their own homes until they died. Our nanna lived with us for many years. The only nursing homes around at the time in country Queensland were repatriation homes for returned servicemen and women. Then the churches and masonic and buffalo lodges built some as charitable institutions. Now most of them are privately owned and it is all about profit.

Watch for the increasing revelations coming out of the homes about "elder abuse".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0