Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Illiterate

21 posts in this topic

I read and post in several forums. 50% of posters are illiterate. Some just a bit difficult to understand, most illegible. 

What happened to our education system that half of people can't right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, zaph said:

I read and post in several forums. 50% of posters are illiterate. Some just a bit difficult to understand, most illegible. 

What happened to our education system that half of people can't right?

Ha ha! I see what you did there!

Maybe a lot of people are not native English speakers?

Another problem is autocorrect. You misspell in English and it automatically gets translated to iPhonish (iPhonian? iPhonese?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dos thet mean they r rong tho?

Its not ther falt. They just was nt tort rite. And no 1 bothered to corect them!

Who nos wear we will end up.

I blame twiter....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO technology has influenced behaviour and made people lazy.

I have a private hypothesis that there will be a massive wave of dementia in the coming decades because people are not using their brains enough. Technology will make people cognitively lazier and lazier to the point that their brains will wither and die... well that may be a little melodramatic. I may have a habit of using my imagination to exaggerate things, but this may become the next epidemic.

Dementia may be worse than cancer as well. My grandmother suffered from it and a friend's mother is suffering through it now. It's awful to witness people disintegrate in slow motion, and hard to deal with.

I think Anders may be write as well regarding non-native speakers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take up smoking :) nicotine looks to be a pretty good alzheimers prevention...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tor said:

Take up smoking :) nicotine looks to be a pretty good alzheimers prevention...

Old timers is about the only disease were smoking is a protective factor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

IMO technology has influenced behaviour and made people lazy..

1

Probably for a lot. 

In my case texting and using word processors has made my speeling much more better. Those red underlines force me to spell good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/07/2017 at 4:54 PM, tor said:

Take up smoking :) nicotine looks to be a pretty good alzheimers prevention...

That; or become an alcoholic. Most decent alcoholics don't make it to old timers!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not easy for non-native speakers to learn all the quirks of the English language. 

Take the word 'illiterate' for example. It seems to be a composite of 'ill' and 'literate'. So it seems to me the logical spelling of the word should have three 'l's. 

Hence the title of this thread should be 'Illliterate'

Well, OK, illiteratively speaking, of course  

Or is that too much of an illiterativelification? An illiterativelificationism?

Edited by AndersB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trump tweets turgid twaddle temporarily. 

 Oops. Sorry, I misread the title of the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read once that the more senior/powerful one is in an organisation, the more writing errors one can get away with making. Clearly one gets too busy/important for proof treading. I am waiting for my level of seniority to match my writing. An inverse Peter principle perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ugg said:

I read once that the more senior/powerful one is in an organisation, the more writing errors one can get away with making. Clearly one gets too busy/important for proof treading. I am waiting for my level of seniority to match my writing. An inverse Peter principle perhaps?

In that case, newspaper articles seem to be written by very senior reporters. You would hardly ever see typo's before they went digital. Now it is very common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/08/2017 at 1:31 PM, staringclown said:

Trump tweets turgid twaddle temporarily. 

 Oops. Sorry, I misread the title of the thread.

Trump may actually be literate.

But his executive orders are probably always 140 characters or less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cobran20 said:

In that case, newspaper articles seem to be written by very senior reporters. You would hardly ever see typo's before they went digital. Now it is very common.

I was reading an article today that I swear was written by a Chinese man with a one month cause in English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zaph said:

I was reading an article today that I swear was written by a Chinese man with a one month cause in English. 

Perhaps a possible reflection of immigration trends. Chinglish may become a second language here, like Spanglish in the US.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AndersB said:

Trump may actually be literate.

 

I doubt it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ugg said:

I read once that the more senior/powerful one is in an organisation, the more writing errors one can get away with making. Clearly one gets too busy/important for proof treading. I am waiting for my level of seniority to match my writing. An inverse Peter principle perhaps?

In the PS bad writing means derision and ignored requests. At least it does when I receive it. Maybe that explains my career trajectory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AndersB said:

Trump may actually be literate.

But his executive orders are probably always 140 characters or less. 

We can only hope that the nuclear codes are more than 140 chars...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, staringclown said:

We can only hope that the nuclear codes are more than 140 chars...

Imagine though if they include "actual" words. There may be a panic in the future remembering the correct spelling!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, staringclown said:

We can only hope that the nuclear codes are more than 140 chars...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0