Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Is there a QLD council that isn't under investigation?

55 posts in this topic

The former chief executive officer of Ipswich City Council and his wife have been charged with one more count each of official corruption after allegedly receiving corrupt payments totalling more than $100,000.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/former-ipswich-council-ceo-and-wife-hit-with-more-corruption-charges-20180418-p4zae1.html

There is growing pressure on Local Government Minister Stirling Hinchliffe to dissolve Ipswich City Council after Mayor Andrew Antoniolli was charged with seven counts of fraud by the state's corruption watchdog.

Cr Antoniolli is the second Ipswich mayor to be charged by the Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC), with Paul Pisasale still to face court on charges of corruption, extortion, fraud, perjury and attempting to pervert the course of justice.

The alleged offences are not believed to be related.

After Mr Pisasale resigned as mayor last year, Cr Antoniolli took over the job in August, declaring he had a 19-point plan to ensure transparency and good governance.

But since then the CCC has charged a list of other Ipswich council officials.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/sack-ipswich-council-minister-told-after-more-ccc-charges/9720770

Third time lucky?

The entire Ipswich City Council, west of Brisbane, will be sacked and administrators appointed, the Local Government Minister has announced.

The announcement came less than an hour after Mayor Andrew Antoniolli said he was standing down, and a day after being charged with fraud by Queensland's Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC).

He is facing seven counts of fraud for allegedly using council money to purchase auction items from charitable organisations over the past six years.

Minister Stirling Hinchliffe told State Parliament he would try to change the laws next week so administrators could be appointed.

"Today, I will ask Ipswich City Council to show cause why they should not be dismissed," Mr Hinchliffe said.

"Next week I will be asking Cabinet to consider strengthening the legislative powers of the Local Government Minister to dismiss councils, when they have lost the trust of their community.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/ipswich-mayor-andrew-antoniolli-stands-down/9722146

16 minutes ago, zaph said:

Out with one lot of crooks, in with the next.

If the council is dissolved I;m thinking of running on one of three planks:

• Change my name. John Beattie or Bob Howard. Lots of old ducks will vote for someone they recognise. 
  • Run on nothing. I promise to do nothing. I will take all the perks. 
  • I'm working on the third.