Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Is there a QLD council that isn't under investigation?

47 posts in this topic

Former Ipswich mayor Paul Pisasale had free use of a Brisbane apartment block owned by the family of a developer who has made more than $1 million by reselling undeveloped former council sites in Ipswich.

Mr Pisasale was chairman of the council-owned company that sold the land to the developer, Chris Zenonos. Fairfax Media has been unable to find any record of Mr Pisasale disclosing any gifts from Mr Zenonos or any relationship with the developer. Ipswich City Council has declined to answer questions on the topic.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/key-to-brisbane-unit-was-ready-for-paul-pisasale-no-questions-asked-20170731-gxmcp0.html

Oh no no no, we don't have corruption in Australia. To say so would be blasphemy.

These councillors are just entrepreneurial.

2 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

Oh no no no, we don't have corruption in Australia. To say so would be blasphemy.

These councillors are just entrepreneurial.

Paul ' for sale' is as dodgy as they come. 'Oh, my back' - I have to resign.

I hope he got more than a couple of nights at a 'dirty' motel for his services to the property industry.  

The Crime and Corruption Commission has charged former Ipswich mayor Paul Pisasale with two counts of attempting to pervert justice.

Fairfax Media understands one of the charges relate to calls Mr Pisasale allegedly made this week to his former driver, Steve Potts, in which he offered to help him find a job in exchange for Mr Potts recanting allegations the former mayor had misused his official car.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/paul-pisasale-faces-fresh-charges-after-ccc-probe-20170803-gxoxq2.html

The court heard the 65-year-old remained in a mental health facility and was not in a fit state to be questioned by authorities.

Mr Pisasale had been scheduled to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court on Tuesday morning but was represented by his lawyer instead.

Defence solicitor Glen Cranny told the court the former councillor's treating psychiatrists could not give an estimate of when he would be fit to leave a clinic in New Farm.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/paul-pisasale-not-in-a-fit-state-to-appear-in-court-20170808-gxrfry.html

6 hours ago, zaph said:

Truly amazing how the rich & powerful find the 'right' doctor to help get them off the hook - Bond, Skase, Palmer...

Despite my general cynicism towards politicians, I feel a bit sorry for Paul Pisasale. I met him back when he was deputy mayor in Ipswich and he was then working very hard to improve the city and promoted the town 24/7. He was then very popular in the electorate.

After he got elected mayor he held regular local business leaders meetings and tried to mobilise commitment to economic development. I was there as a representative of an aerospace company. 

But that was 15 years ago. Paul must have been seduced by land developers' money and 'favours' since then. Pity the temptations got the better of him. I think he had good intentions in the beginning. 

Or maybe I just have sympathy for the man because he gave me a city medal once :o

ANTI-CORRUPTION officials are investigating an allegation that a controversial Ipswich property developer secretly gave tens of thousands of dollars to the then-mayor Paul Pisasale.

The Courier-Mail can reveal that investigators, working on the Crime and Corruption Commission probe into Ipswich, have been told that developer Chris Zenonos gave Pisasale about $40,000.

“The (CCC) can confirm it is investigating allegations a developer paid money to the former Ipswich mayor,” a spokesman for the watchdog said.

He declined to comment further.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/probe-into-claim-developer-made-secret-donations-to-former-ipswich-mayor-paul-pisasale/news-story/1a0ebfde39f3601d7be7a2a9b471b604

The high-profile Brisbane barrister who provided an explanation for Paul Pisasale carrying $50,000 in cash through a Melbourne airport has been charged with perjury and banned from contacting the former Ipswich mayor.

Sam Di Carlo, 60, has been charged with possessing ammunition without authority, unlawful possession of restricted drugs and two counts of perjury, the Crime and Corruption Commission announced on Friday morning.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/barrister-sam-di-carlo-charged-with-perjury-20170901-p4yvoa.html

Outstanding citizens. 

14 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the continent...

Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi banned from office over expenses scandal

there really needs to be an independent body  with teeth, to oversee all levels of government, Australia wide.

Ameuter dodgy Paul managed much more before he was busted. I'm thinking of setting up a business for pollies. 

A BUILDING company donated over $100,000 in five payments to the Liberal National Party while an application to erect a contentious multi-level apartment block in Brisbane was being assessed.

In a letter dated June 17, 2015, council said the site presented “numerous constraints”, did not strike the right balance between site cover, setbacks, height and building articulation, and was a “significant over-development”.

But after minor changes to the original plans, council development assessment officers approved Pointcorp’s 69-unit Kangaroo Point apartment complex

Had the application been evaluated under the Kangaroo Point Peninsula Neighbourhood Plan, the site should have only accommodated about 12 units and not 69.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/kangaroo-point-apartment-block-approved-after-developer-donation/news-story/936069305ed7ee10ebb324f6bd6ff527

The Courier-Mail makes no suggestion that anything illegal occurred during the application process.

Well what's the point of the article then?

Queensland's corruption watchdog has charged a senior Ipswich City Council officer over an incident of alleged misconduct.

The council’s 54-year-old chief operating officer of works, parks and recreation, Craig Maudsley, has been charged with misconduct in relation to public office and will appear in court on September 27.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/corruption-watchdog-charges-senior-council-officer-20170913-p4yvw2.html

The Crime and Corruption Commission probe into Ipswich City Council has led to another arrest, with chief executive Jim Lindsay charged on Thursday.

The 53-year-old was arrested by CCC investigators at the council on Thursday afternoon and taken to the Ipswich watchhouse, where he was charged with one count of official corruption.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/ipswich-city-council-s-chief-executive-charged-in-ccc-investigation-20170914-p4yvx9.html

Too much money wallowing around Local Council's nowadays. Mainly through development companies. Tweed Heads Council was sacked only 10 yrs ago for supplying favours to big business and development.

Council's are now simply glorified money laundering schemes, becoming richer as rates have increased.

Just too tempting it seems for many people to keep their hands off.

On 17/09/2017 at 7:01 PM, cobran20 said:

Four Corners is covering the corruption in the Goldcoast tomorrow.

I watched the show on iview. Dramatised as these shows always are, but it shows off some fairly questionable deals.

I can't believe the amount of times councillors (and the Mayor) declared a perceived, or real conflict of interest and continued to vote. Although the show didn't really go into the extent of the conflict, or disclosure.

I've sat on a number of boards where I've had varying degrees of conflict. There have not been guidelines on recusal. So my own ethics have put conflict into three broad categories.

1. A clear personal, direct or indirect financial interest in the issue. I would immediately leave the room and play no part whatsoever in discussions or decisions. I've had this happen twice. Once when my boyfriend had quoted on a job the board was considering - I immediately said I had a conflict and left the room. Once as staff representative director for a charity, I worked for. The issue was ratifying the EBA. In that case, I presented my case as first speaker, without a recommendation and then left the room before further discussion and decision took place. 
  2. A bit of an association. I know this guy because he repaired my fence and we're voting on a fence repair contract. I'd declare possible conflict saying that the guy did a great job at a fair price then leave the room.
  3. I drank with him. Hey guys, just letting you know that this guy has a beer at the local with me occasionally. I would not leave the room or limit my discussion. 

If only politicians had the same ethics. 

The state’s corruption watchdog has hit suspended Ipswich City Council chief executive Jim Lindsay with another charge, two weeks after he was charged with official corruption.

The 53-year-old Karana Downs man was on Tuesday served with a notice to appear in court, charged with disclosure of a confidential document.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/suspended-ipswich-city-council-ceo-hit-with-another-ccc-charge-20170927-p4yw59.html

Property developers will be banned from giving political donations at a state and local government level, under sweeping changes announced on Wednesday.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/developer-donations-to-be-banned-in-state-and-local-government-20171004-p4yw9y.html

What's to stop Mr Zaph, who owns Zaph developments pty ltd from donating?

Edited by zaph

1 hour ago, zaph said:

What's to stop Mr Zaph, who owns Zaph developments pty ltd from donating?

I would expect the law to treat a property development company and its owner(s) as being the same.

55 minutes ago, cobran20 said:

I would expect the law to treat a property development company and its owner(s) as being the same.

I don't. Is it fair/fare that Mr Zaph can't donate just because he owns a development company? 

What other ways around it can I do?

4 hours ago, zaph said:

I don't. Is it fair/fare that Mr Zaph can't donate just because he owns a development company? 

What other ways around it can I do?

I think that donations by a person/entity to government bodies that make planning decisions that directly impact such person/entity's financial interests should be forbidden.

This is why I'm in favour of elections being funded from public monies. Otherwise, it could be easily argued that government planning decisions are not  impartial.

11 hours ago, cobran20 said:

This is why I'm in favour of elections being funded from public monies. Otherwise, it could be easily argued that government planning decisions are not  impartial.

Are there any countries which do this? On the surface it seems a good idea (I am sure someone will have found a way to game it though).