Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

TV & gambling ad changes

6 posts in this topic

Australia's free-to-air broadcasters have welcomed a $100 million win from the federal government's broader media reform package, which includes the slashing of free-to-air TV licence fees, trimming the anti-siphoning list for sporting events and tighter restrictions on gambling ads during live sports matches.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/tv/100m-handout-for-tv-as-gambling-ads-banned-from-sports-broadcasts-20170505-gvzhte.html

About time ridiculously large licence fees for free to air channels were reduced. It will help them compete with Netflix et al. 

The package will include the government's current bill, which is seeking to remove the "reach rule", preventing networks from broadcasting to more than 75 per cent of the population, and the "two-out-of-three rule", preventing media companies from owning a TV network, radio station and a newspaper in the same market. Senator Fifield has so far been unable to secure Senate support for plans to the scrap media ownership rules.

Reach rules might have rightly prevented one company from unduly influencing popular opinion in the 60's but we've had internet competition for a while now. For old media to survive they now need to own all three for economies of scale. Send one person out to film, photo, get sound grabs and write copy?

Under the gambling advertising restrictions, all betting ads will be banned between five minutes before a live sports broadcast and until five minutes after the end or 8.30pm, whichever comes first. 

Live sport is the cash cow for free to air - can't get it on Netflix. Gambling ads seem to be key to networks income for sports broadcasting. Will games simply now start at 8.30?

Existing exemptions for advertising that covers the racing industry and lotteries will remain.

Of course. The govt quasi-owns those bets. 

More broadly what is the future of 'tv'?

• My niece watches almost no live TV - all Netflix. 
  • I watch Netflix, Stan and free to air internet content (eg https://www.9now.com.au/ or iview). I watch almost no live TV. So free to air get to serve me commercials, but I watch shows when it's convenient for me.
  • The free to air networks are getting smarter with their net serving. I normally swap to a tab like this during commercials. 7 has started stopping commercials if you don't have their tab open forcing you to watch, rather than just listen to ads. But they're not very smart at serving personalised ads. If I do a search for something most websites I visit start serving me ads related to my search immediately. Online TV just serves me the standard ads. They could do a lot better in personalising TVC's to me. Tor?

If I was a media baron I'd own all the channels (means of communication, not just TV channels). Streaming, free to air, print, radio. I'd integrate them and introduce ads in streaming. 

9 hours ago, zaph said:

About time ridiculously large licence fees for free to air channels were reduced. It will help them compete with Netflix et al. 

Reach rules might have rightly prevented one company from unduly influencing popular opinion in the 60's but we've had internet competition for a while now. For old media to survive they now need to own all three for economies of scale. Send one person out to film, photo, get sound grabs and write copy?

Live sport is the cash cow for free to air - can't get it on Netflix. Gambling ads seem to be key to networks income for sports broadcasting. Will games simply now start at 8.30?

Of course. The govt quasi-owns those bets. 

More broadly what is the future of 'tv'?

• My niece watches almost no live TV - all Netflix. 
  • I watch Netflix, Stan and free to air internet content (eg https://www.9now.com.au/ or iview). I watch almost no live TV. So free to air get to serve me commercials, but I watch shows when it's convenient for me.
  • The free to air networks are getting smarter with their net serving. I normally swap to a tab like this during commercials. 7 has started stopping commercials if you don't have their tab open forcing you to watch, rather than just listen to ads. But they're not very smart at serving personalised ads. If I do a search for something most websites I visit start serving me ads related to my search immediately. Online TV just serves me the standard ads. They could do a lot better in personalising TVC's to me. Tor?

If I was a media baron I'd own all the channels (means of communication, not just TV channels). Streaming, free to air, print, radio. I'd integrate them and introduce ads in streaming. 

Fairfax's 'rivers of gold' are drying up and they're having to shrink their reporting staff. The printed media, cable TV and free-to-air are all suffering from the competition delivered via the internet. I'd expect printed media to eventually disappear. However, the competition via the internet is not necessarily holding its head above the water (see here about Netflix). So the next few years will probably see more all round upheaval.

Media is under upheaval, but the spectrum still has a value so they should be charged for it (like telco companies). I had no idea about this as I don't own a television.

It also plays a mass conditioning role so should have some level of regulation.

My little ones have never grown up with a television in the house. They are used to basically on-demand anything. Nothing like my childhood experience of waiting for a show at a particular time.

As far as I know you can get live sport on the internet... Telstra has live AFL, NRL doesn't it? There will be a mass-adopted technology like torrents to stream it in the future.

I remember Max Keiser saying years ago that digital content will diverge to its 'intrinsic' value - zero. So don't expect to make money from it but from other sources. A band I've listened to for years called Integrity give away their music now for free and make money from merch (and live shows).

I know that's all a bit 'blrr' but I just woke up from a long afternoon nap. Hope it makes sense.

6 hours ago, cobran20 said:

Fairfax's 'rivers of gold' are drying up and they're having to shrink their reporting staff. The printed media, cable TV and free-to-air are all suffering from the competition delivered via the internet. I'd expect printed media to eventually disappear. However, the competition via the internet is not necessarily holding its head above the water (see here about Netflix). So the next few years will probably see more all round upheaval.

Have you got a hundred Cobran? I'll chuck in a hundred and we'll buy Fairfax. Old media is dying because they don't know how to evolve. Might need another 100k to donate to the govt to get rules changed. 

Print needs to evolve but the old farts running the show won't give it a go. Just admit defeat and close the doors is their mantra. 

On 07/05/2017 at 6:55 AM, zaph said:

Online TV just serves me the standard ads. They could do a lot better in personalising TVC's to me. Tor?

Nah I don't do that kind of stuff. You'd want to hire Cambridge Analytica and AggregateIQ - if they can tailor messages for Trump and Brexit I am guessing they can do ads for you :)