Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

Stupid

4 posts in this topic

Post your observations of stupidity here...

I'm only up to page 8 in the local paper this week:

• A blind man concerned with the shutdown of Optus' 2g network would not be able to use an old school mobile phone with buttons to make calls. He obviously can't see the screen on a smartphone to make calls. Optus advised no worries, you can purchase a 3g phone with buttons. Just visit our website!
  • A researcher calling for people who've had a stroke and can't speak to call xxx and enrol in research.

Not stupid, but hilarious...

Why do businesses let staff answer the phone who speak very very poor English? I thought I would try a new middle east delivery. Woman answering the phone had to call her boss and call me back 3 times. I think she tried her hardest - her command of English was so poor she just couldn't cope with taking an order. She advised me to order online (I think). Eat now's SMS confirmation says it will be here in 10 mins - I doubt it even if they have a helicopter. 

2 hours ago, zaph said:

Why do businesses let staff answer the phone who speak very very poor English?

+1. You'd think good communication skills would be mandatory for customer service related jobs.

I often have problems processing an order for take away from a local Thai. You'd think they could hire one of the local students to take orders. But their food is great, so I persist.

You ought to try the places here that advertise as having an English speaking hotline :)

One of them is the largest pizza chain in Japan. If I couldn't speak a little Japanese there is no way that could have happened.