Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobran20

UK - Skip a generation when passing on homes, says housing minister

3 posts in this topic

Part of the problem is the UK’s failure to build enough houses to meet demand.

There were 143,560 housing starts in England in the 12 months to December 2015 – 6% higher than the previous year but still far short of the 240,000 dwellings that need to be built annually.

With many would-be home owners forced into the rental market, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) warned last week that the UK faces a shortfall of 1.8 m rental properties unless the government took swift action.

The housing industry body called on ministers to reverse stamp duty changes on second homes and consider incentives for build-to-rent schemes, after it found a drop in property investors’ appetite to add to their buy-to-let portfolios.

I have a whole series of questions around this housing supply response.

I have had it since the early 2000's.

It is a lie - a smokescreen.

I'll put it bluntly.

Building new houses drives up the cost.

All it does is allow everybody to get on the bandwagon - Building suppliers, contractors, developers, real estate - all want an increased piece of the pie.

This is a never ending spiral of price gouge.

And as long as the banks are willing to lend into it, the whirlwind continues.

Politicians are brain dead. They only know how to do one thing. Legislate!!

I don't believe building more and more houses is the answer.

I have observed developers increase the cost of their blocks of land almost over-night on the basis of knowing there is a never ending supply of houses being increasingly pushed and supported by governments.

The average dwelling ratio is now down to 2.2 people per dwelling. Will we stop when it gets to 1 or less??

BAH!

Sadly I've almost now succumbed to believing in the 'crash and burn' camp.

Edited by Solomon

The average dwelling ratio is now down to 2.2 people per dwelling. Will we stop when it gets to 1 or less??

I'd be curious to know what the ratio would be if you exclude the empty dwellings, mostly bought by overseas investors and not used for rental purposes.