Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

How long will Hanson remain?

28 posts in this topic

She got what wanted. A cheap headline and the enhancement of her reputation as an 'outsider' condemned by the swamp. Her smile grew the longer Brandis spoke and her supporters lapped it up just in time for the Queensland election.

If Trump sh*ts and burns this year do you think his supporters (like cockwhistle here) will change their mind?

I think we need more Trump for longer to really put these f*ckers out of the world. They can go back to dreaming of changing the world safe in the knowledge they will never be allowed to and are not competent enough to do so. It'll be like a 16 yr old explaining how the chick really wanted him but at least he will have the experience of being completely shut down and not be brave enough to try ever again.

Or of course the hilarity of finding out that most US military people don't want to die in a cascade of nukes and, the ones I know anyway, will rapidly turn on the nazis and militia and wipe them off the face of the earth. Because, you know, actual training as opposed to wanky little bitch sessions and re defining words to cannon fodder 20 yr olds. Armstrong and his ilk get what they are asking for and they will find themselves sad old men in hiding.

Good for the world in many ways though so there is always that. When I am angry drunk I totally feel we should let them have their game. Find out just how many people actually support their sh*te.

On 18/08/2017 at 9:43 PM, tor said:

If Trump sh*ts and burns this year do you think his supporters (like cockwhistle here) will change their mind?

I think we need more Trump for longer to really put these f*ckers out of the world. They can go back to dreaming of changing the world safe in the knowledge they will never be allowed to and are not competent enough to do so. It'll be like a 16 yr old explaining how the chick really wanted him but at least he will have the experience of being completely shut down and not be brave enough to try ever again.

Or of course the hilarity of finding out that most US military people don't want to die in a cascade of nukes and, the ones I know anyway, will rapidly turn on the nazis and militia and wipe them off the face of the earth. Because, you know, actual training as opposed to wanky little bitch sessions and re defining words to cannon fodder 20 yr olds. Armstrong and his ilk get what they are asking for and they will find themselves sad old men in hiding.

Good for the world in many ways though so there is always that. When I am angry drunk I totally feel we should let them have their game. Find out just how many people actually support their sh*te.

It's certainly the far rights best chance in a long time. To change the world to how they want it. Of course it won't be what they actually want. Their own futures won't be enhanced. The promises they were made won't eventuate. Bannon has been sacked and he's admitted as much. The swamp doesn't drain easily. It fights back. I was hoping that Abbott would remain in power for similar reasons. Give 'em enough rope so to speak...

I've heard a load of opinion lately about not upsetting the alt right for fear of enlarging their base. One nation here is a case in point. Governments need one nations votes. And their base has legitimate grievances. High unemployment, no benefit from globalisation etc. They're looking for someone to blame. Lots of talk about universal income as well (hats off to you sir for raising this long before it became a thing) George Brandis stood up this week and it was good to see. I hardly ever agree with George.

I can't agree with the pandering to opportunists argument. Let Trump speak on please, but the mass movement of the alt right needs to be opposed at every every opportunity along the way. Handing over any ground to any party that doesn't deal in actual evidence based policy is dangerous. In keeping with Godwin's law I will not mention names. 

It's encouraging that the "free speech" rally in Boston was met with overwhelming numbers of counter protesters. I don't like to see violence and I think overwhelming numbers against illustrate the level of support within a democracy and provide a suitable smack down for an offensive minority view . Likewise with Hanson.

Also, likewise with Turnbull. I don't understand why the minority in his own party hold so much sway. Bipartisan support for evidence based policy will bypass the nutters on both extremes. The marginal seat holders would applaud the rise in their standing and would keep the far right rump at bay vis a vis leadership challenges. Grow a pair Mal if you want to do right by the country rather than preserve your own job. Even if you fail, in the long run you win. History will remember you favourably.

rant over