Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

How long will Hanson remain?

22 posts in this topic

According to the judgement in September last year, Senator Culleton became bankrupt after filing the notice of appeal.

Under the constitution, anyone who is an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent is incapable of being chosen or sitting as a senator.

That's also the case for anyone subject to be sentenced for any offence punishable by one year in prison or longer.

Senator Culleton was due to face trial on a stealing charge in the Perth Magistrates Court this week but was instead being inducted to federal parliament after securing an adjournment.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/one-nation-senatorelect-loses-appeal-must-pay-200k-to-former-wesfarmers-boss-20160825-gr1ef0.html

One nation falling apart before the first sitting?

One nation falling apart before the first sitting?

Should he be declared unfit, can he simply be replaced by another One Nation member or is an election required?

Should he be declared unfit, can he simply be replaced by another One Nation member or is an election required?

My understanding is that his wife is next in line. No election. Funnily though he seems to share little in common with Pauline. He's anti bank. When questioned on multiculturalism he claims he married a Greek and is in favour. Likewise for the replacement. (Aka his wife)

Pauline herself has taken to using the coat of arms as her letterhead and claiming to be the gubmint.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/a-government-promotion-for-pauline-hanson-20160825-gr0teu.html

It'll go the way of Palmer United eventually. In answer to the original post.

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says she can no longer work with her Senate colleague Rod Culleton, portraying him as an egomaniac obsessed with publicity and incapable of teamwork in an extraordinary outburst on live radio.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/we-cant-work-with-him-pauline-hanson-unloads-on-one-nation-colleague-rod-culleton-20161206-gt4rx6.html

Almost there. 

On 26/08/2016 at 3:58 PM, cobran20 said:

Western Australian Senator Rod Culleton has resigned from Pauline Hanson's One Nation party (PHON). 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rod-culleton-resigns-from-pauline-hansons-one-nation-party-20161218-gtdr5j

And then there were three. That didn't take long. 

When a senator dies, resigns etc the state parliament chooses the replacement (casual vacancy). The state parliament must appoint someone from the same political party, this is usually on advice from the party. I'm not sure if now Rod is an independent whether a replacement must be from the party he originally got elected under or whether it could be anybody. I would expect the WA to rubber stamp ON's choice. However, the state parliament can choose not to fill the vacancy and the senate will be one member down. I can't see that happening.

The next in line for ON in WA are his wife and/or brother-in-law. If he gets the arse from the high court ruling I think the next unrepresentative bit of swill gets a guernsey. I heard it somewhere. I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

17 hours ago, staringclown said:

The next in line for ON in WA are his wife and/or brother-in-law. If he gets the arse from the high court ruling I think the next unrepresentative bit of swill gets a guernsey. I heard it somewhere. I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

If he get's the arse I doubt ON will put one of his relatives forward as a candidate. Especially since his wife is a 'wog' - but I guess they make good fish and chips. His wife and BIL ran, (and lost) for the senate, so that is behind the press saying they're in line. Would kinda be the logical choice. Interesting to see who Barnett picks. I might put my name forward - just think of the FF points I could get representing WA but living in QLD. First things first, do I get a travel allowance when in QLD or WA? - What the hell, I'll claim it for both. 

The senate just got a little more difficult for Mal to deal with. 

If he is ruled to have been ineligible, a recount would award his spot to the person who was second on One Nation's Senate ticket: his brother-in-law, Peter Georgiou.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/rodney-culleton-and-pauline-hansons-war-of-words-continues-following-one-nation-split-20161219-gte6k8.html

Not certain that is technically correct, but probably what would happen. 

But Senator Hanson has sought to avoid such an outcome, suggesting that Mr Georgiou might not be able to take the job.

"I'm also hearing that his brother may be a guarantor for him in that bankruptcy. So if that be the case, his brother-in-law may not be eligible to stand. So if that be the case, then the seat comes back to the party," she said.

If that be the case no one guarantees a bankruptcy. If that be the case someone may guarantee a debt of someone who later enters bankruptcy. 

<Hanson needs to lay off the 'if the that be the case'>

Peter would need to enter bankruptcy before he is ineligible to be a senator. That process could take his entire potential term. 

Senator Culleton could be forced into bankruptcy if he is made to pay the $280,000 debt in the Federal Court, in which case he would also be ruled out of the Senate.

He's appealing his bankruptcy in the Supreme Court? I can't recall a more comedic court battle since "The Castle". I actually hope he wins mainly for the entertainment value he would continue to provide. :P

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, staringclown said:

He's appealing his bankruptcy in the Supreme Court? I can't recall a more comedic court battle since "The Castle". I actually hope he wins mainly for the entertainment value he would continue to provide. :P

I don't think he could appeal his bankruptcy to the Supreme Court, but rather the full bench of the Federal court. He has no chance without council. No chance with council. Full bench of fed court > High Court > full high court> - + a year or two. 

He's just dragging it out to get the most salary - good on him. 

I hope he wins too. Parliament always needs a jester. 

WA Senator Rod Culleton has been injured during an altercation outside a Perth court building.

The 52-year-old senator, who was recently declared bankrupt in the Federal Court, was injured during an altercation with another person just before 11am near Perth Magistrates Court.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/wa-news/rod-culleton-injured-outside-perth-court-20170103-gtlfmy.html

He's going for compo??

He's going for sympathy. He won't get it however. 

Pauline has learned some things. Don't keep obvious anti-gay candidates. Keep the bias on the QT.

Except for Malcolm Roberts. I suspect she may have a blind spot for this swivel eyed nut job. 

I did enjoy the NZ MP's characterisation of him as "denying a town somewhere of an idiot".

spot on.

23 minutes ago, staringclown said:

He's going for sympathy. He won't get it however. 

Pauline has learned some things. Don't keep obvious anti-gay candidates. Keep the bias on the QT.

Except for Malcolm Roberts. I suspect she may have a blind spot for this swivel eyed nut job. 

I did enjoy the NZ MP's characterisation of him as "denying a town somewhere of an idiot".

spot on.

He's yesterday's news.

I suspect the Asian Australian candidate, Lin, I think is her next target. Poofs can really push it. This poof in charge the ON has a history of pushing it. 

So now one nation has some, sort of, maybe, support from homosexuals. A touch of lets bash the Asian. James Asbury is smart. 

I was surprised that an asian was a candidate for ON given the "swamping" of the past comments. 

Nor did I think that Ashby, regardless of him being gay, had any future in politics post Slipper...

My antennae need work on all counts.

I still maintain that this country is five years behind the US in terms of pissed offedness with mainstream pollies. Though I do see shades of UKIP in ON's attempts at mass appeal. I'm expecting a good result for ON in the QLD state elections. 22 seats at least. But loose cannons all.

Crowd fund to send Nigel Farage into the sun

Rod's gone. Although I suspect he will whine to the high court, the Privy Council and the Queen till the end of the decade - in vane. 

Senator Parry advised party leaders and independent senators of the disqualification under section 45 of the constitution, which sees senate seats vacated if a senator is declared bankrupt.

"The Senate has referred to the Court of Disputed Returns questions about the eligibility of Rod Culleton to have been chosen as a senator," he said in a statement. 

"It will be necessary for the Court of Disputed Returns to deliver its answers to the referred questions before it will become apparent how the vacancy may be filled.

The only question now is how he will be replaced. I wonder who Pauline's pick is?

The ABC was saying that if he was ineligible at the time of the election it could go to a recount and the brother-in-law gets the gig. Otherwise it's Paulines choice. She says she has a splendid candidate already picked out but won't say who it is until the judgement is handed down by the high court. Bound to be a crackpot I suppose but I doubt they will be erudite as Culleton.

4 hours ago, staringclown said:

The ABC was saying that if he was ineligible at the time of the election it could go to a recount and the brother-in-law gets the gig. Otherwise it's Paulines choice. She says she has a splendid candidate already picked out but won't say who it is until the judgement is handed down by the high court. Bound to be a crackpot I suppose but I doubt they will be erudite as Culleton.

Correct. If his election is void ab initio it's a recount. Otherwise, the WA parliament (or governor) decides on the advice of ON.

On 09/01/2017 at 8:56 PM, staringclown said:

I'm expecting a good result for ON in the QLD state elections. 22 seats at least. But loose cannons all.

Crowd fund to send Nigel Farage into the sun

That's a big expectation. I'd say more like a dozen. With a couple quiting the party or being ruled inelible before the first sitting day. 

A Tasmanian senator says Pauline Hanson must sack a Queensland candidate whose website carried an article claiming the Port Arthur massacre was fabricated, as were images of a refugee Syrian toddler lying drowned on a Turkish beach.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/one-nation-candidate-peter-rogers-in-hot-water-over-refugee-claim-20170112-gtqmie.html

With such a small party trying to grow so quickly it's inevitable that these sort of vetting stuff ups will be made. I do wonder if some of them are manufactured to keep ON in the news.

Can a party of protest support an unpopular incumbent with a preference deal? Apparently the answer is no.

Admiring Putin can't have helped either. 

Gotta say I am pleased that she got whacked. The US brand of populism doesn't seem to apply here yet. Ashby needs to resign.