Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
staringclown

Census

7 posts in this topic

What a debacle. Good old IBM. 

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has opted not to build its own private cloud to host the 2016 eCensus, instead awarding a $9.6 million outsourcing contract to existing partner IBM.

Australia’s national statistics agency first offered Australians the option to avoid completing the Census via its traditional paper-based form with a web-based eCensus in 2006.

It partnered with IBM in a $9 million deal in 2005 to develop and support the web-based eCensus application - which is hosted on IBM’s AIX operating system and a WebSphere application server, out of the company's Baulkham Hills, Sydney data centre.

It will take years to get any trust back for the ABS...

I don't participate in the census but heard about this last night.

I'm surprised they only spent $9M on it. I would have thought it would cost more.

Considering that the 2 chinese bidders already own electricity assets in other states, cynical me thinks that Scomo's decision to disallow the bidders for security reasons is directly related to the attack on the census,

link

It was apparently a DoS attack. 

Maybe. Not a lot of evidence and a bunch of contradictory stories even before the ASD report. 

This is supposedly the story...

CpjfeskUIAASklo_zpswhnx3uoz.jpg

The JPG I'm supposing is so the text can't be tracked. APS are watching and I've already been busted once this year.  ^_^

Clearly the ABS has cut back on the census. Five years ago there were three people door-knocking, this time only one.