Mr Medved

Retarded Amazon shipping costs

10 posts in this topic

So I fill up my cart on Amazon with 41 used paperback books, from 3 companies (3 parcels). The total is 37AUD. Shipping & Handling: 1,103.58AUD!!! Like, WTF?!

I changed it to an address in the USA (even though two of the companies are based in the UK). Shipping came to 272.78AUD, which is still a bit obscene but closer to what I'd expect to pay in Australia.

So very fecking annoying.

Anyone worked out a way to ship via Amazon without being hammered with shipping costs?

Can you select a cheaper shipping method? Like surface mail or by donkey or something.

Shipping is a scam. You can buy a charger cheaper (including postage) from China than just the postage in Australia. 

We need more free trade rip offs. 

Edited by zaph

I'll check out those sites cobran, thanks.

I normally buy new books via Book Depository, but these ones are second-hand/out of print so not an option.

Have a look at https://www.shipito.com/ as well. Gives you a US address and they do consolidation of orders as well. Haven't used them in years but used to be good for "this item does not ship to australia" stuff.

I actually have people in the USA who could send on my behalf in a combined package, but the books I'm after are mainly from vendors in the UK. I may need to hit up my mate in London to help me out. My technical books will definitely go via my friend in the USA, much cheaper that way, though he sent me a couple of boxes this week and they were 95USD for 8kg. I guess he was happy to send air mail though.

Very annoying when a really cool book costs one cent but shipping is $30!

I had a look at United Airlines flights to see if it was cheaper to fly to the USA and back, but they only do 2x 23kg check-in bags for economy, I thought they did 2x 32kg but that is for business and first class. If I could take 60-65kg of books back to Australia it may have been worth it.

Often in Kazakhstan people will act as "mules" when travelling long distances, Somehow news gets out that a neighbour three streets away has a son/daughter/uncle/niece,etc. travelling to or from their city and they end up lugging random stuff cross-country.

I had a look at United Airlines flights to see if it was cheaper to fly to the USA and back, but they only do 2x 23kg check-in bags for economy, I thought they did 2x 32kg but that is for business and first class. If I could take 60-65kg of books back to Australia it may have been worth it.

You could strap a heap to your body. Might want to trim the beard and not wear a white dress and a fez. 

Edit - worth checking out what baggage allowance to get as a member of their club and if it's worth paying that. 

Edited by zaph

I may need to hit up my mate in London to help me out.

I thought royal post was pretty cheap. I have several types of thing I regularly get from the UK to here and they are cheap and fast.

Very annoying when a really cool book costs one cent but shipping is $30!

Think of it the other way, if you flew over to get the books you might pick up a Terry Pratchet in the airport and that alone will cost you $25 or so... Any physical book I actually _want_ for $30 is functionally free in my perspective.

I decided to contact the (three) vendors about the ridiculous costs.

The first one apologised but said there's nothing they can do about it, it's auto calculated by Amazon. Not sure if I buy that line.

The second one said they adjusted their prices to accommodate the shipping costs, so in effect are baiting you into buying books through lower marked prices but picking up the difference in shipping.

The third I haven't heard from.

I think I need to create excuses to visit friends in the UK and the USA.