cobran20

New Zealand housing crisis forces hundreds to live in tents and garages

6 posts in this topic

I'm pretty sure there is a bit of this happening in Australia as well

Mainstream media, just haven't caught up with it yet.

Edit: I should have done a simple Google search before putting my comments down. There are heaps of reports of Australians living in these type of conditions, dating all the way back to 2007 - 2008.

If it was rampant enough for a news report back then, imagine how it is today.

I wonder what Bob Hawke thinks of his claim now?

Edited by Solomon

I wonder what Bob Hawke thinks of his claim now?

That's the beauty of politics - you can make promises you don't have to keep or a big mess you don't have to clean up! Absolutely no or minimal personal responsibility for their actions, other than losing at the election.

I was in Queenstown the other week. We liked the town and the ski fields are great (as well as out of sync with the N. hemisphere) so we had a look at house prices.

Then we went and drank beer because our throats were sore from laughing so hard...

(we would have gone for a beer anyway I guess but at least we had a good reason)

At the pub was a guy that has 3 properties in Queenstown. Two are normal rentals getting less than 4% return. The other he uses himself when they visit and Air BnB's the other.

Still when the crash comes it is a tempting idea (provided at least 50% drops in prices). International airport, ski fields pretty cheap and not crowded, 20 minutes from town to the nearest field, reasonable night life, pretty good Sth African meat oriented restaurant.