zaph

Election 2016

64 posts in this topic

Albo won't challenge. He knows he won't have the numbers.

What if the coalition lose? Who will replace Mal? What party will get Mals seat?

A bit of media mischief making on the Albo challenge I suspect.

An LNP loss is a long shot.  ^_^ In the event they'd probably go back to an attack dog from the right. Maybe even Scomo? It worked well the last time. 

There's some scuttlebutt that Dutton's seat is under threat. Unfortunately, this is probably just wishful thinking. 

Erica failed miserably in Tas. Hopefully we can expect a long period of silence from him.  :)

On the bright side we may see the return of Pauline Pantsdown...

This election has allowed me to drag out so many old tunes... :)

Derryn this ones for you. 

I am pleased with the election so far. The pollies and the papers describe it as a disaster, chaos and a recipe for instability. I see it as a way to dilute dumb ideas. No leadership is better than bad leadership. This all assumes the libs don't have the numbers to form a senate majority with the nutters.

http://simplesustainable.com/topic/5698-how-long-will-tony-remain/?p=75947

I think people have to remember that Turnbull is loved by Labor voters. They will still vote labor a lot of the time. The only real question is just how badly Abbott has f*cked the party reputation as opposed to his own. I feel it is his own rather than the party.

Apparently I can be wrong :)

I don't think you were wrong at the time. Turnbull should have abandoned more of Abbott's less popular policies and taken on the right of the party. Pandering to the right hasn't done him any favours.

I don't think you were wrong at the time. Turnbull should have abandoned more of Abbott's less popular policies and taken on the right of the party. Pandering to the right hasn't done him any favours.

Looking at the background of the number of small parties that got voted in the Senate, from a political strategy POV, I tend to disagree. It looks to me that a lot of the conservative voters voted for those parties rather than the LNP, probably because TA got the boot. From what I read, the primary vote for Labor & the Greens fell. So from a strategy POV, TA should have been made a senior minister. But would Mal & Tony have got along is a different story!

Looking at the background of the number of small parties that got voted in the Senate, from a political strategy POV, I tend to disagree. It looks to me that a lot of the conservative voters voted for those parties rather than the LNP, probably because TA got the boot. From what I read, the primary vote for Labor & the Greens fell. So from a strategy POV, TA should have been made a senior minister. But would Mal & Tony have got along is a different story!

Well we saw what happened when Kevin was made a minister!  :o

The majors campaigns revolve around ~ 30 marginal seats. The rest of the country is ignored. I don't think there is a single factor that can be pinpointed to explain the rise of voting for minor parties. But I'd hazard a guess that slogans rather than well thought out and explained policies are having an impact. Partisan politics and ideology leave most people cold. I think people want to see more bipartisan decisions for the good of the country. 

Things like housing affordability are leaving a lot of people behind. Though if that were the sole complaint then Labor should have romped it in with their NG  and CGT policy.

Immigration explains the return of one nation. Both parties support Big Australia but neither want to fund the infrastructure required to achieve it. 

Xenophon reminds me of the Democrats and their "keep the bastards honest" mantra.

I am pleased with the election so far. The pollies and the papers describe it as a disaster, chaos and a recipe for instability. I see it as a way to dilute dumb ideas. No leadership is better than bad leadership. This all assumes the libs don't have the numbers to form a senate majority with the nutters.

I agree it does prevent the extremes of ideology prevailing and saves parties from themselves. My own observation of disaster relate particularly to the Liberals. Also my fear that the senate will make the country ungovernable and we'll be back to the polls sooner rather than later.

... Also my fear that the senate will make the country ungovernable and we'll be back to the polls sooner rather than later.

+1.

I think this is a fairly good appraisal, SC.

I would add a few more into the pot.

I start with the fact that I think the middle class are losing traction with low interest rates.

The wealthy are getting wealthier and we are an oligarchy. 

Money rules. Politicians are simply the puppets.

I think the Labor party didn't go far enough with their negative gearing policy - and besides most cynical voters know that  all the campaign promises dissolve into nothing once they are back in power and face all the negative criticisms from the other half of the public, who didn't vote for them.

They can't stand to not be liked.

And yet surely they can see that the alternative parties polled almost 20% of the vote - that's a lot of disgruntled people!

I also think the politicians no longer have an awareness of the toughness of life, and the growing cost of living. Most politicians are on $300,000 a year. They all claim they know how tough we are doing it, and yet they allowed home prices to spiral out of control, to the point where only the very wealthy can actually "own" one. They knew exactly what they were doing and the banks encouraged them to make the changes to virtually block out a large proportion of the population from home ownership. Now you can't even build your own even if you wanted to, because they have layered all the regulations on top of regulations to discourage anyone from even having a go. Politicians only tool is legislation, so they piled up legislation upon legislation so that our way of life was changed forever. I have heard politicians bragging about how many pieces of legislation they got through the parliament. What???

Add to all this the millions of Australians that are now paying down massive mortgages that will continue to pay until they die.

No matter what they might say to the contrary, they (the politicians) allowed the banks to chalk up these massive loan portfolios (to increase their profits) and now they are helpless to reverse it. They have painted themselves into a corner.

Any attempt to lift interest rates to allow savers a chance, will now see the house of cards come crashing down.

I also think that while the Libs mantra of "Jobs and Growth" might have been a grand philosophy, but not many people felt there was much substance to it. Maybe there was, but it didn't translate into the minds of those who are unemployed or struggling to find anything but part-time positions.

I thought the young woman Holly Ransom on Q & A articulated it well on Monday night. She had a lot of excellent points, and I noted that the politicians were nowhere near as articulate to the causes as she was.

The politicians were clueless on election night. This wasn't the script.....  They are only just starting to wake up to the sleeping giant they have poked, by thinking they know better than the rest of the us, what we need.They are debating and discussing matters the rest of us have moved on from.

I actually think Martin Armstrong is close to the mark when he suggests that the ruling class think we can't be trusted with our own money, and that if they only had more of it, they would do a better job with it.

I think this is just the beginning of a rising discontent.

I also think our country (and many others) have to get used to the possibility of a proper democratic process of parliament, instead of the tired two party system we have put up with for the past 50 years. Democratic debate based on any number of viewpoints is supposed to be the foundation of our parliamentary system, and if I may say, our entire social structure. (Ever had a debate in your family about what's for dinner?) And yet our politicians have very little experience of actually doing it. Their debates revolve around for and against, with this side putting all the arguments for, and the other side putting all the arguments against, and then the party with the majority simply saying they won the debate!!!

I know there are many other underlying issues that are reverberating around the world that might have caused this. One is the case of the disenfranchised youth, who are at the mercy of the larger voting blok of "baby boomers".  Again Holly Ransom had some sharp but educated remarks to make about this.

I noted even the journalists on the ABC Election coverage, and the other "hilarious" broadcasts were a little flummoxed by the vote. Channel 7 and 9 almost treated it like an entertainment evening. It was the game of who had the best graphics and method of disposing of deposed members of the Federal Parliament. :furious: :furious:

Fascinating, but perhaps a sad indictment of our entire current social system.

Sorry guys. I've finished my rant.

The majors campaigns revolve around ~ 30 marginal seats. The rest of the country is ignored. I don't think there is a single factor that can be pinpointed to explain the rise of voting for minor parties. But I'd hazard a guess that slogans rather than well thought out and explained policies are having an impact. Partisan politics and ideology leave most people cold. I think people want to see more bipartisan decisions for the good of the country. 

Things like housing affordability are leaving a lot of people behind. Though if that were the sole complaint then Labor should have romped it in with their NG  and CGT policy.

Immigration explains the return of one nation. Both parties support Big Australia but neither want to fund the infrastructure required to achieve it. 

Xenophon reminds me of the Democrats and their "keep the bastards honest" mantra.

Don't worry Sol. I have a suspicion that a basic income will be effectively forced on most western countries soon. Then Plato's benevolent dictator or Ian M Banks' dweller style kudos system is more likely to take effect I think.

Fortunately I think the extant politicians will be stuck in the mindset of "basic income is for the poor to keep them from revolting" and vote for it not realising it will actually free up a lot of people that want to do what they think is right for humanity. Some of them will go into politics and do it well, some of those will be great leaders with great ideas.

Then we will have automation implementing stuff efficiently and talented humans choosing the paths we follow.

Until the computers take over everything anyway, but I don't see humans surrendering the choices for the future for a whiles yet.

I think the Labor party didn't go far enough with their negative gearing policy 

How much further could they have gone? Make a tax deduction taxable income?

any attempt to lift interest rates to allow savers a chance

Interest rates don't matter much for someone trying to save a deposit for a house. 

Malcolm Roberts is a nut job. The WA guy doesn't seem too bad. Pauline is looking more and more like the Joker. 

The majors have relegated the lowest polling senators to seek re-election at the next poll so hopefully the worst excesses of Malcolm's stupid DD election will be expunged after this date.