zaph

Election 2016

64 posts in this topic

I was walking along the road yesterday and accidentally read a newspaper banner, it was something like, "Raped woman drank from toilet". It kinda sums up my jaundice towards MSM.

I have noticed life is more enjoyable without "news". It's just filled with so much hate, negativity, useless information, advertising, and propaganda.

The coalition have won. Bookies are rarely wrong. 

I've been watching from afar. I don't sense any overwhelming anger on the part of the populous to remove Turnbull. I suspect we'll give him another term. He'd better start doing something besides looking after his benefactors though.

The coalition have won. Bookies are rarely wrong. 

I retract that your honour. 

Shorten's looked like a wet lettuce leaf but is starting to sound like a leader. His mantra of  'a new Labor' is starting to look like a winner. I still think Shorty looks like a trapped rat. Sometimes rats win. 

He's starting to look like he stands for something. I'm yet to see what he stands for, but that doesn't matter.  

I retract that your honour. 

Shorten's looked like a wet lettuce leaf but is starting to sound like a leader. His mantra of  'a new Labor' is starting to look like a winner. I still think Shorty looks like a trapped rat. Sometimes rats win. 

He's starting to look like he stands for something. I'm yet to see what he stands for, but that doesn't matter.  

Shorty looks like he's lost about 10kg in the last few months. His face has a bit of excessive skin - if it wasn't an election fight he should pop over to Thailand and get a bit cut off. He needs to dye his hair grey. 

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap...

It's still means official information provided by the Australian Electoral Commission is, at best, misleading. And it all makes the Senate results even less predictable.

So when people receive their Senate ballot papers, for example, they are formally instructed they must vote for at least six parties or groups above the line or at least 12 candidates below the line. After all, that is the new wording of Section 239 of the electoral act, passed with the help of the Greens and Senator Xenophon in March.

The advertising and information given out by the AEC reinforce that message. Voters seeking assistance will be directed to those instructions.

The only catch is that it is absolutely unnecessary to follow these supposed requirements in practice! That effectively makes the information provided untrue. Even given traditionally complicated Senate voting, this surely counts as an "only in Australia" moment at the ballot box. In the US, lawyers would be salivating about the prospect of challenges.      

That's because people can actually just vote 1 above the line while leaving all the other boxes blank and still have their vote counted. Or indeed they can just vote for a minimum of six candidates below the line. That option comes under different sections of the act, Sections 268 and 269, that concern the counting and scrutiny of votes. But sssh, don't tell anyone.

Confused already? Don't

Read more: http://www.afr.com/opinion/columnists/the-senate-voting-system-is-a-misleading-farce-20160622-gppko0#ixzz4CSKZIoSs 
Follow us: @FinancialReview on Twitter | financialreview on Facebook

Misleading? More like corruption.

Who instructed the AEC to promote this crap? The resulting legal action that could follow, but is unlikely to follow could hold up the senate results for months and send us back to polls. At least I'll enjoy another sausage sizzle and cake stall. The Governer General may even get involved.

The consequences to the changes to senate voting is interesting. I think that a good portion of Australians would not know 6 political parties. Now they are encouraged to do some research into minor political parties. I doubt that that was the intention of the politicians that passed the bill to amend the voting methodology.

The consequences to the changes to senate voting is interesting. I think that a good portion of Australians would not know 6 political parties. Now they are encouraged to do some research into minor political parties. I doubt that that was the intention of the politicians that passed the bill to amend the voting methodology.

With polling showing 20% of people are planning a 'protest' vote the results could be very interesting indeed. We may not know the makeup of the senate for weeks (perhaps the house too). From the chatter in line to vote there seemed to be a lot more people undecided than normal. Of the parties that might have a chance of a senate seat in QLD - Hanson and Lambie had no one handing out how to vote cards. 

I voted for Cleaver Greene in the senate. 

After the ones that I knew, I looked at the name of the single-issue political party to decide whether to vote for them. I suspect many others will do the same.

Wow!

High political drama everywhere it seems!

If Turnbull forms a minority government and face a hostile senate then there will be more years of cloak and daggers.

I survived an entire election campaign without hearing the voice of a politician. Unfortunately signs in people's front lawns and Twitter yesterday meant I saw their ugly mugs.

So by that account I think I won the election. :)

About the only likely certainty ATM is if the Libs form government, then it is unlikely that Turnbull will be leader at the next election. If Labor don't form government, then Shorten is likely to be challenged by Albanese.

Turnbull's punt has backfired big time. He should have gone to the polls during his honeymoon period immediately after deposing Abbott.

I'll be surprised if Shorty gets replaced by Albo. He might challenge as it is about the only time he can under the new rules.

If Malcolm goes it's hard to know who'll replace him. Abbott is untenable. Their best performer is Bishop, but she is in the bad books with the right. Same goes for Morrison. 

I'll be surprised if Shorty gets replaced by Albo. He might challenge as it is about the only time he can under the new rules.

If Malcolm goes it's hard to know who'll replace him. Abbott is untenable. Their best performer is Bishop, but she is in the bad books with the right. Same goes for Morrison. 

The Libs seem to have lost a lot of displeased voters from the right to the splinter parties, especially in the Senate.

Whoever forms government is likely to wish they weren't in power with all those minorities!

Albo won't challenge. He knows he won't have the numbers.

What if the coalition lose? Who will replace Mal? What party will get Mals seat?

The Libs seem to have lost a lot of displeased voters from the right to the splinter parties, especially in the Senate.

Whoever forms government is likely to wish they weren't in power with all those minorities!

A veritable poisoned chalice.