zaph

Election 2016

64 posts in this topic

IMO it's too close, and too early to call who will win. As much as I want to stab Shorten, he appears to be improving Labor's lot and might just get over the line. 

So far both parties seem to be name calling and denying that they are the other.

The libs have given Labor ammunition on a few fronts:

• Income tax cuts for above average earners. Nothing for low earners.
  • Tinkering with super. Fair, or not, it's a good attack point.
  • Company tax cuts.

The libs have given Labor ammunition on a few fronts:

negative gearing is also gaining traction.

negative gearing is also gaining traction.

It's getting a lot of media attention. 

I just got a voice message from Billy Shorten. No call, just the message. 'this is bill shorten, whinge whine, I'm holding a rally' - sounds like more of a poofter than Christopher Pyne. 

Of course, no way to respond and no easy contact details via google. I've contacted my local member asking how he got my number and issuing a cease and desist order, threatening to dob Bill into the authorities. 

I just got a voice message from Billy Shorten. No call, just the message. 'this is bill shorten, whinge whine, I'm holding a rally' - sounds like more of a poofter than Christopher Pyne. 

Of course, no way to respond and no easy contact details via google. I've contacted my local member asking how he got my number and issuing a cease and desist order, threatening to dob Bill into the authorities. 

Permitted calls during the 2016 Federal Election

I'd like to know how he got my number. It can't be random because he knew I was in Brisbane when advertising his Brisbane rally. I wouldn't mind so much if there was a mechanism to provide feedback. Perhaps he could have provided his mobile number so I could call him late at night with some drunken rants. 

An automated survey of some sort I could understand. It's the most efficient way to collect data and I'd rather push buttons than speak to a human in such circumstances.

This was just total spam. If a human had called I wouldn't have minded - I could ask questions about their policy and what is important to me. What's your policy on gay pigmy bigamy? NG? FTBs? A fast underground train from Melbourne to Perth?

I'd like to know how he got my number.

Electronic white pages. In any case, all phones (including mobile) numbers and their owners must be stored in a central database somewhere. The police would use it at all times.

Electronic white pages. In any case, all phones (including mobile) numbers and their owners must be stored in a central database somewhere. The police would use it at all times.

My number is not recorded in the white pages. If a political party used police resources then they're in big trouble.

My number is not recorded in the white pages. If a political party used police resources then they're in big trouble.

I don't think the database would be owned/operated by the police. Most likely the telcos. It would contain all phone numbers, including unlisted numbers as well. The police would have access to it for obvious reasons.

I don't think the database would be owned/operated by the police. Most likely the telcos. It would contain all phone numbers, including unlisted numbers as well. The police would have access to it for obvious reasons.

Yes, mostly likely the telcos. Still, should/do political parties have access to this info? 

The police seem to have access to a huge amount of data, pretty much instantly. I had a boarder here who got run over after one week staying here and ended up in hospital with broken everything. He didn't have my number on him but the nurses with the help of the cops tracked down my mobile number (no land line) and called for me to bring him some personal items. 

I had another boarder I threw out and he returned after a month and refused to leave till I gave him the 'vintage' cigarette packets that I had thrown out. Apparently someone told him the ciggi packs without health warnings were a collectors item and worth a fortune. Again, when I called the cops to get him removed they asked his name. I didn't instantly know his surname but faster than I could find my receipt book they'd called up his surname on their system. 

It's getting that I could write a book on boarders:

• My sister. Who I call the best flatmate I never had. Moved her stuff in, paid rent for a year and only stayed here about 5 nights. 
  • The Brit couple who paid a deposit and then messaged a few hours later saying they had changed their minds and were going to Darwin.
  • The couple fresh off the boat who asked where the bucket was to fill the washing machine. They both watched the machine in marvel as it cleaned their clothes without a rock or a river. She did ask if she could use the swimming pool to do her washing. She still does most of her washing in the bathtub. So far has turned out be decent tenants. 
  • The list goes on... 

The police in Brisbane have a pretty impressive database. It's big.

However I am fairly sure that political parties don't have access to it.

I suspect that you will find in your service agreement some bit where they can give your number out to third parties. However it might not be there (I used to do Telco stuff, some of it is really in need of review). If it is not and you can build a plausible argument that it could not have been obtained any other way I would fire a mail of to the ombudsman.

It won't boot you anything of course but sometimes it works.

I don't know if writing your phone number in toilets saying "Call Zaph for a good time" falls within plausible arguments though...

Does the AEC collect phone numbers? Maybe that's the source...?

When you enrol at the AEC web site, it asks for your phone number.

I don't know if writing your phone number in toilets saying "Call ......... for a good time" falls within plausible arguments though...

Has anyone ever actually done that?

Rung one of those numbers on the toilet wall?

It would be a bit of a hoot though.......

"Hello. I got your number from the toilet door. It says you can show me a good time. I doubt that, because I'm very hard to please!! My idea of a good time would be to go to Disneyland in Hong Kong or a River Cruise in Europe."

On a more serious note.

The Duncan Storrar furore caused by his question on Q and A has highlighted, for me, the huge divide in our country in the economic stakes.

In particular I now discover that there is underlying debate raging about whether or not "trickle down" economics works.

Some heavyweights from universities are actually joining forces with battlers and the under-educated and having lengthy online debates with the financial sector and the advocates for small business over the benefits or otherwise of the philosophy of exactly where do tax breaks/concessions actually provide the most productive outcome for the country.

Should we give more money to the poor, or is it better to give it to the employers?

Some argue you need more jobs, that's how the poor climb the wealth ladder. Others suggest they can't reach the rungs if they aren't given a hand up.

It has been eye-opening for me, to read some of the diatribe between the two extremes. 

I think we have a more serious problem than simply the two party system happening here (ie; labour voters vs Liberal/National Party)

There is strong rhetoric and passionate sentiment out there on both sides of this "wealth" divide.

I think this has the danger of developing,if it hasn't already, into a class war in our country.

Politicians would want to be very careful with their policies from here on in, if that is the case, because every initiative now given or taken away, could well add wood to the fire. I wonder if either party truly understands the true tension sitting under the surface.

Scare tactics appearing all over the broad media

What happened last time we messed with housing?

In political beauty contests (we call them elections) you don't need to convince your own side of your policies. You don't need to convince the arch nemesis of your policies, just those in between. It's how Howard did so well, he handed out middle-class welfare to the undecided. 

I think changes to NG, and to a lesser extent CGT is a winner for the libs. The undecided middle aspire to own IPs and that's done by NG. 

Since the election has been called I've seen so much political advertising - paid by the govt, not parties. Disgusting, we're not east Germany.

Keep Australia moving. And anti-terrorist ads - it's well known that voters are reluctant to change govts when at war. The libs are brewing the war against men in white dresses and funny hats. 

I haven't seen any ads, nor heard the voice of a politician. :)

No television, no newspapers, no radio*, no reading MSM websites is such a refreshing environment to live in.

* I listen to Internet radio occasionally.

I haven't seen any ads, nor heard the voice of a politician. :)

No television, no newspapers, no radio*, no reading MSM websites is such a refreshing environment to live in.

I don't understand how you can do it. I know I shouldn't read too much MSM, but it's like driving past a road accident and try to not have a peek.

But MSM consumption is enough to make you want to slash your wrists - or buy a sailing boat and go on a never ending trip.