cobran20

Wind and solar are crushing fossil fuels

63 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, cobran20 said:

https://phys.org/news/2016-01-carbon-dioxide-captured-air-methanol.html

probably what you meant. I actually thought I linked that article here a few months back when they did it but maybe I just meant to.

South Australia to get $1bn solar farm and world's biggest battery

Mmm. I'm struggling to believe this comment:

...The company says construction will start in months and the project will be built whatever the outcome of the SA government’s tender for a large battery to store renewable energy....

I think they must know that public funds via a tender are likely to come their way.

The thing that worries me about battery units is half-life/usable life. It's a big expense that will lose their efficiency/effectiveness over time.

That and the environmental impacts.

12 hours ago, Mr Medved said:

The thing that worries me about battery units is half-life/usable life. It's a big expense that will lose their efficiency/effectiveness over time.

That and the environmental impacts.

I still can't get past justifying the upfront costs, let alone the real life expectancy of the batteries.

A good report on Four Corners last night. Everybody except the government now supports a carbon price to support investment in the sector. Even the bullsh*t "clean coal" requires a price signal to make investment viable. 

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2017/05/08/4663424.htm

I saw a piece on small scale solar rooftop investment. This site uses a crowd funding model. The business (a bakery) uses more power (through refrigeration) when the power is being produced. The power costs for the business are reduced and the investors receive about 7% pa return. I still have a few questions regarding the capital return but just thought it was an interesting model for small scale investments in renewables. Another site here has more info

Those 'feelgood' policies come with even more repercussions

SA plastics recycling business closes due to $100k hike in power bills

South Australia's sky-high electricity prices have forced an Adelaide plastics recycling business to shut its doors, costing 35 workers their jobs, its managing director says.

Plastics Granulating Services (PGS), based in Kilburn in Adelaide's inner-north, said it had seen its monthly power bills increase from $80,000 to $180,000 over the past 18 months.

Managing director Stephen Scherer said the high cost of power had crippled his business of 38 years and plans for expansion, and had led to his company being placed in liquidation...

Google is now or almost purely renewable powered (DC & Ops). They use about as much as San Francisco. Probably just incompetence in Minnesota I guess.