Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

I'm old; gimme gimme gimme

5 posts in this topic

The QLD govt announced early this week that the electricity rebate (ie $300 off the power bill PA) was going to change. It's currently available to pensioners and anyone with a seniors card (ie over 60-65, non means tested).

The new plan was to make it available to low income people as determined by having a health care card (under $25k PA single or $50k for a couple) and not seniors card holders. So people on the dole, pensioners, low-income earners etc would get it and just because you were old meant you would you no longer get it. Sounds sensible - let's give welfare to people who need it. Let's not hand out welfare just because you have a few wrinkles. 

But no...

By mid week the plan had changed to granfathering people who currently get it. The Courier Fail ran a whole page ad article from some whinging old bugger that it's unfair that old people shouldn't get cheap power. 

The media is complicit in enforcing encouraging the entitlement state. 

Why do old people get discounted public transport, while people on the dole don't?

1 person likes this

Don't you know, the unemployed are bludging sh*t kickers* that the media and grumpy old folk can complain about.

I think it says a lot about many Australians, used to the easy/entitled life. I have a neighbour who grew up in Malaysia and knows what hard work is, we were talking about it on the train the other day. So many people have had it good for so long.

* Of couse not in reference to SC and his career move. :)

Don't you know, the unemployed are bludging sh*t kickers* that the media and grumpy old folk can complain about.

I think it says a lot about many Australians, used to the easy/entitled life. I have a neighbour who grew up in Malaysia and knows what hard work is, we were talking about it on the train the other day. So many people have had it good for so long.

* Of couse not in reference to SC and his career move. :)

I resemble that remark!  :laugh:

More gimme gimme gimme...

The mineral companies union (can't remember what it's called), as in the industry body, is whinging that 1/3 of coal mines in QLD are not making a profit and therefore the govt should suspend royalties payments. I've got a better idea if the business isn't making money, close it! That 1/3 might be making a profit and loss statement loss because it takes into account depreciation and amortisation of plant and equipment. If it wasn't to their advantage to keep the mine open it would close. 

Royalties are the oz people's payment for their dirt, not some sort of optional tax. 

I think it says a lot about many Australians, used to the easy/entitled life. So many people have had it good for so long.

We've always had a pretty easy life compared to some goat herding village in the third world. 

But for the last 20 years we've had nothing but 'more'. Reducing taxes, more middle-class welfare, reducing cost of high-cost items (housing excluded), better, faster, more of everything. If you're under ~35 your life experience could mean you reasonably expect more more more every year and if you don't get it then it feels like poverty. I'd say a good chunk of over 35 year olds can't remember what the standard of living was like 30 yrs ago and expect the recent past to repeat. Transporting a kid in an old car without at least a few airbags seems like a crime against humanity these days. 

There's this whole media and political beat up that Australia is doing it tough. We're not, we've just ceased to be doing it better every year. 

I blame both sides of politics for constantly reducing taxes and increasing middle-class welfare. That money could have gone to a sovereign wealth fund or invested in making us an even wealthier nation. I don't blame Rudd for going on a spending spree when the GFC hit - he did the right thing. Without it we would have had a deep and possibly long recession. Recession's are nasty nasty things. Surpluses or deficits are not good or bad without context.