AndersB

Health hacks

59 posts in this topic

On 09/08/2019 at 4:38 PM, AndersB said:

It seems we have lost 99% of forum members. Very nice and quiet now - maybe this forum can be turned into a personal blog for the two or three people remaining :)

Why not? Compared with instagram, snapchat and twitter that allow nothing else but vacuous analysis I find your deeper examination refreshing Anders. Feel free to blog on. ;)

Forums in general seem to be falling out of fashion. Meh. I feel there's still a place for the forum. At least for a well reasoned argument. 

Poor old cobran couldn't manage a well reasoned argument. So he gone. I hope that the door doesn't bang his arse on the way out.

I have been keeping tabs on the site, but haven't posted in recent months, because; surprise, surprise - I bought a home. Have been busy renovating and tidying up.

Still, my take on the loss of membership, is that everyone gets complacent and apathy grows.

It takes a "stimulus" to get them motivated again.

If a recession does unfold, I predict many of them will coming knocking at this door once again.

In the interim, the discussion about Climate Change turned into a type of religious debate, which is guaranteed to bore people. Eventually neither side wins. It is a lose/lose confrontation. That too, might have contributed to the decline.

On 8/16/2019 at 1:34 PM, Solomon said:

ecause; surprise, surprise - I bought a home. Have been busy renovating and tidying up.

Car to share?

On 16/08/2019 at 1:34 PM, Solomon said:

I have been keeping tabs on the site, but haven't posted in recent months, because; surprise, surprise - I bought a home. Have been busy renovating and tidying up.

Still, my take on the loss of membership, is that everyone gets complacent and apathy grows.

It takes a "stimulus" to get them motivated again.

If a recession does unfold, I predict many of them will coming knocking at this door once again.

In the interim, the discussion about Climate Change turned into a type of religious debate, which is guaranteed to bore people. Eventually neither side wins. It is a lose/lose confrontation. That too, might have contributed to the decline.

Congrats on the house sol. 

I disagree with your characterisation of the CC 'debate' as religious. One side relies on evidence. If the evidence changes then so does my opinion. The other on conspiracy, anecdote and wilful ignorance. This article in the guardian sums it up nicely. If you're bored with the future of your grand children then I'm curious to know what excites you?

On 8/18/2019 at 1:09 AM, zaph said:

Care to share?

Bought a small 4 bedroom concrete block renovator in Townsville at the end of 2018, and before the flood for $145,000.

Will rent it for about 5 yrs, before moving there to live. Thankfully was also high and dry.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, staringclown said:

Congrats on the house sol. 

I disagree with your characterisation of the CC 'debate' as religious. One side relies on evidence. If the evidence changes then so does my opinion. The other on conspiracy, anecdote and wilful ignorance. This article in the guardian sums it up nicely. If you're bored with the future of your grand children then I'm curious to know what excites you?

Thanks SC.

Wasn't an easy decision, but at least we will have a home, (or an investment!!)

I am comfortable with you disagreeing with me. 

Evidence is the operative word in your statement. Some people require more evidence than others, before they "believe" it. Others are happy with a limited amount. Some only need a minute amount of evidence. Some simply believe based purely on faith, in a particular person, or group. We all use this process every day to make our daily decisions. (Buying a car, choosing a set of clothes, booking a holiday, etc) I was only wanting to identify that this is where the "man-made" climate change debate encounters the religious component of people's life.

The other element to the debate, as I have watched Cobran and yourself and thousands of others debate it, and many and varied others on social media talking about it, is the issue of fear. If the climate were to change as drastically as it has in the past, there is sweet "f" all we could do about it. We will simply go the way of the dinosaurs. When you consider a place like Milford Sound NZ with over 200 metres depth of ice at one point in its history. It got damn hot to melt it, etc, and yet the Indigenous people of Australia have been on this island for 50,000 - 60,000 yrs.

The whole debated is all couched in human terms against a human backdrop of the fear of "................." What?? Dying? Extinction? Incineration? Drowning? Starvation? Good luck with changing those things.

Here's what Ecclesiastes had to say around 3000 years ago. Fatalism at its very best........

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

What gain have the workers from their toil? 10 I have seen the business that God has given to everyone to be busy with. 11 He has made everything suitable for its time; moreover he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live; 13 moreover, it is God’s gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil.

20 All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.

I am happy that we try our best, and go our hardest to correct climate change, but in the end it changes very little about life.

I've had my small say on the matter. I leave it at that. (I don't dispute the evidence, but then again, I live by faith.)

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

Thanks SC.

Wasn't an easy decision, but at least we will have a home, (or an investment!!)

I'm genuinely happy for you and hope it works out. Weird to hear a house price with a one in front of it! :)

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

I am comfortable with you disagreeing with me. 

Evidence is the operative word in your statement. Some people require more evidence than others, before they "believe" it. Others are happy with a limited amount. Some only need a minute amount of evidence. Some simply believe based purely on faith, in a particular person, or group. We all use this process every day to make our daily decisions. (Buying a car, choosing a set of clothes, booking a holiday, etc) I was only wanting to identify that this is where the "man-made" climate change debate encounters the religious component of people's life.

The other element to the debate, as I have watched Cobran and yourself and thousands of others debate it, and many and varied others on social media talking about it, is the issue of fear. If the climate were to change as drastically as it has in the past, there is sweet "f" all we could do about it. We will simply go the way of the dinosaurs. When you consider a place like Milford Sound NZ with over 200 metres depth of ice at one point in its history. It got damn hot to melt it, etc, and yet the Indigenous people of Australia have been on this island for 50,000 - 60,000 yrs.

The whole debated is all couched in human terms against a human backdrop of the fear of "................." What?? Dying? Extinction? Incineration? Drowning? Starvation? Good luck with changing those things.

Here's what Ecclesiastes had to say around 3000 years ago. Fatalism at its very best........

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to throw away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to throw away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.

What gain have the workers from their toil? 10 I have seen the business that God has given to everyone to be busy with. 11 He has made everything suitable for its time; moreover he has put a sense of past and future into their minds, yet they cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end. 12 I know that there is nothing better for them than to be happy and enjoy themselves as long as they live; 13 moreover, it is God’s gift that all should eat and drink and take pleasure in all their toil.

20 All go to one place; all are from the dust, and all turn to dust again.

I am happy that we try our best, and go our hardest to correct climate change, but in the end it changes very little about life.

I've had my small say on the matter. I leave it at that. (I don't dispute the evidence, but then again, I live by faith.)

Legal decisions are made on evidence. Policy decisions are made on evidence (or at least they should be) IMHO.

In my book evidence is the basis of rationality in decision making. I appreciate this involves certain philosophical beliefs that I hold. I take very little on faith. 

I'll give you an example. I phoned my insurance company to report a modification to my vehicle. I was advised by the rep that I was not required to report such modifications. I was surprised and requested a copy of the policy to check. The policy clearly described that if I didn't report such modifications then the insurance company was within its rights to not pay the policy. I called back and was given the same advice, I stopped the rep and related the section detailing my "responsibilities". I then got to report my modifications. If I'd taken that advice on faith, I could have voided my policy. I'd be up for thousands. 

In god we trust, all others bring evidence.

My mum had the prayer of serenity on the wall when I was growing up. I'm an atheist as you know but that does not render religious doctrine without merit. I regard the bible generally as a rule book for harmonious society. (except for the weird old testament stuff) 

The science of climate change falls into the category of things that can be changed. Just like the ozone hole and the banning of clorofluorocarbons. We managed that OK.

The point is that it's not even that the climate hasn't changed before. It's the rate of change that is the distinguishing feature of this event. It's so rapid that it does not allow most species to evolve quickly enough. The timescale of the change is too short. 

God, grant me the Serenity
To accept the things I cannot change...
Courage to change the things I can,
And Wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as the pathway to peace.
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it.
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His will.
That I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with Him forever in the next.
Amen.

Thanks SC.

Been a while since I've read the serenity prayer. The version you present is the current Alcoholics Anonymous prayer apparently attributed to Dr Reinhold Niebuhr - Christian theologian, or ":huh:"!!  Thanks for that.

I guess that is what I am trying to do. Live one day at a time. Enjoy one moment at a time. Trying to change the things I can. Recognising my very many human limitations in other places. As Jordan Peterson states. "Tidying up my own room first."

I could converse with you about any number of things in your submission. We would likely end up disagreeing about most of them.

Life's too short. Thanks though for replying and reflecting upon your own decision processes. You will do well in the world.

And your grandchildren? How will they do?