staringclown

How long will Malcolm remain

184 posts in this topic

Definitely kabuki. A bit of red meat to win back the one nation supporters. A way to appear to be doing something and get to thunder "Australia first" a lot.

I'm about to become part of a homeland security mega dept! Just to keep the right wing rump happy. Still, the amount of work connecting the systems of six+ agencies should keep me employed until retirement. :-)

2 hours ago, staringclown said:

I'm about to become part of a homeland security mega dept! Just to keep the right wing rump happy. Still, the amount of work connecting the systems of six+ agencies should keep me employed until retirement. :-)

I remember a billing project connecting telecom NZ with AAPT that lasted longer than I think either company did in Aus.

You are sorted :)

13 hours ago, staringclown said:

Just sorting out demarcation of jurisdiction should take a decade or two.

No agency in this league wants to play second fiddle, so you can imagine the lobbying to be the dominant organisation!!

Frankly, my suspicious mind also wonders whether something else is afoot. Are they falling into the M. Armstrong trap of wanting to be able to predict and control everything. This is all predicated on politicians wanting to keep their citizens safe. You can hear the rehearsed rhetoric every time one of them opens their mouth. They seriously believe this will eradicate terrorism without any cost to personal privacy or even human decency is ludicrous. Honestly! Getting to a level where you can predict every single individual threat to our communities is closely akin to herding cats.

As you know, I believe there is a place for government. Nothing operates without governance controls, including personal & family affairs, but when government thinks it needs to control every little thing about our life, then the system is seriously dysfunctional. I have to wonder what threats they are really pursuing.

Nail -> head sol. Interagency co-operation is a bit of a myth. If I can use an analogy. (Sorry tor) Like children competing for their parents affection, agencies are competing for budget, so are reluctant to cede credit for any other agency for their own success in preventing baddies doing bad. We already share data and the prevention of badness is largely based on the skills that different agencies can bring to bear on the analysis of the data. I guess the argument could be made that efficiencies can be gained through centralisation of the effort. However, competition also provides the benefit of different approaches to the analysis. 

If increased communication between silos is the objective then I think that can be achieved without amalgamation. 

It does also seem that there is an ever widening focus on having access to the content of messages rather than simply the metadata. The letters content versus the addresses. I find this concerning.

I hope that avoiding a Royal Commission into the banks now will be more difficult. We're now informed that the Commonwealth bank has allowed money laundering by criminal and potentially terrorist organisations. Terrorists Mal. Your quite big on them. I've been waiting for the out from both the bank and the government and received it tonight. In spite of the headline that there was potentially 1 trillion in fines and the effective re-nationalisation of the bank we all knew that was bollocks. The entire affair (~53000 unreported transactions > 10k) will be reduced to one offence. It was a software error. Apparently they don't test their software at the Commonwealth Bank. No business analyst picked up the error, no tester, no PM, no business area. Numerous reports from coal face staff never made it to the upper echelons of management. Ian Narev gets to name his own penalty. He's not walking the plank. He expects a reduction in his bonus...

Don't even start me on the same sex marriage "debate"

You're right SC.

Any other context of terrorism and the SWAT team and ASIO would have been all over it. But not the banks.

Its all a load of self-interest B@#$#^t. Money talks, and I live in vain hope that some day all the corruption will be exposed. $1,000,000,000,000. Just imagine what that would have said to the world about Australia's concern for its citizens and no corporation exists outside the law.

Keep the cash coming boys. We'll launder it for you.

Asked by the event's moderator whether he held leadership ambitions, Mr Dutton agreed he wanted to one day lead the Liberal Party, but quickly pledged his loyalty to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/conservative-leader-and-postal-survey-architect-peter-dutton-predicts-yes-campaign-will-win-20171011-gyz4om.html

I've never heard that before. I thought you just moved your furniture into the Lodge in dead of night.