staringclown

How long will Malcolm remain

176 posts in this topic

Turnbull's made a balls up of the Rudd for PM of the world campaign. 

He said publicly he wasn't going to make a 'captain's call' and took it to cabinet. A good move after Tony's disastrous picks. But he tacitly indicated he supported the nomination. Then cabinet tell him to make the decision. He panders to the right in his party and says no, going back on his personal view and undermining Bishop's very public view.

He now looks very vindictive, weak and partisan. In typical Rudd style he's released correspondence that shows Mal supported his nomination. Kev will not rest till Mal's head is on a stick outside parliament house. Rudd's good at revenge. 

Not a good start for Mal. 

I would rather have Helen Clark as the head of the UN. I too think Rudd is a psycho. Even so he should not have been barred from applying. I doubt he would have got the gig anyway. So Turnbull looks small for no real reason apart from pandering to the right. 

Malcolm has turned out to be another dud politician - what a surprise!

Perhaps politics is a natural environment for the Peter Principle where people get promoted to their level of incompetence.

I wish I got the chance to show the world just how immensely incompetent I can be.

I too think Rudd is a psycho. 

I know someone who worked for him when he was PM, and psycho was a kind description according to Sam. He got yelled at and sent home one day because his appearance was a disgrace. Sam was the sort of guy to wear a blazer to bed! His sin? -  getting soaking wet during a thunderstorm while holding an umbrella for Kev. 

My mum sat next to him at a fundraiser. He spoke two words to her and spent the rest of the night texting on his phone. Scheming no doubt. It was during his wilderness years. Mum asked if he'd be back and he affirmed. I blame him for Abbott.

The Turnbull government suffered an embarrassing setback just as MPs were preparing to fly home on Thursday afternoon, losing its first vote on the floor of the House of Representatives.

Senior ministers including Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, Justice Minister Michael Keenan and Social Services Minister Christian Porter were absent from the chamber, allowing Labor to defeat an adjournment motion.

It is believed to be the first time a majority government has lost a vote on the floor of the House in more than 50 years.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/shock-as-turnbull-government-loses-three-votes-on-floor-of-house-of-representatives-20160901-gr6qph.html

Turnbull setting records!

Turnbull setting records!

Abbott kept Gillard/Rudd under constant pressure and now Shorten will return the compliments. A majority of 1 will keep the government on their toes until the next election.

Malcolm Turnbull is now less popular than Tony Abbott at the time he was dumped, with the prime minister's satisfaction rating just 29 per cent in a new poll.

In Tuesday's Newspoll in The Australian, Mr Turnbull's support is below Mr Abbott's final approval rating of 30 per cent in September 2015.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-less-popular-than-tony-abbott-when-he-was-dumped-new-poll-shows-20161024-gs9p0a.html

Arthur Dodgydinos refused to rule out a swap back to Tony on Q&A. I don't think they'll go back to Tony, so it's probably Bishop's turn for a go. 

On 6 February 2017 at 4:36 PM, zaph said:

He's signed is resignation. Loser. 

I'm glad to see the back of him. He only did it because he has 6 more years to try and build his party. Let's hope the same fate awaits him as all political turncoats. Slipper, Don Lane, Brian Austin. It's seldom a happy ending for those that get elected for being in a party but think their own personality was responsible.

2 hours ago, staringclown said:

I'm glad to see the back of him.

Careful what you say, he might enjoy you looking at his arse. My gaydar goes off big time with this one. 

Good riddance. 

He only did it because he has 6 more years to try and build his party. Let's hope the same fate awaits him as all political turncoats. Slipper, Don Lane, Brian Austin. It's seldom a happy ending for those that get elected for being in a party but think their own personality was responsible.

Six years is a bloody long time in the current political environment. But at this stage, there's little hope of him getting reelected to the SA senate in a crowded contest. No hope of him getting anyone else elected. He should have just swapped to family first on the condition he would be lead candidate at the next election. He might have picked up a Trump brochure when he was banished to the US, but he is no Trump. 

Turnbull - it's like visiting your terminally ill aunty who thinks she's going to run a marathon next week. 

He's throwing around the sweets like Howard on election eve. Turnbull - you can't buy your MPs with middleclass welfare! His attack on Shorty the other day was pathetic. He doesn't have the material Julia did and can't carry off an insult like Keating. 

On 07/02/2017 at 9:10 PM, zaph said:

Careful what you say, he might enjoy you looking at his arse. My gaydar goes off big time with this one. 

Maybe this is why he left the party

But there's something that you might have missed in all the sound and fury. And it is this: there's a good chance that 2017 will close with Peter Dutton as our next prime minister.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/comment/view-from-the-street/peter-dutton-could-be-your-next-prime-minister-20170226-gulw2q.html

I'm certain Mal won't be PM in a year, but Dutton?

3 hours ago, zaph said:

They can follow Labor's footsteps and appoint Abbott. But I'd like to think that they won't make the same mistake.

On 28 February 2017 at 7:09 AM, zaph said:

Can't see it. He's about as popular as a fart at a funeral.

I don't know why Turnbull is confused as to why his ratings are headed south? 

He knows what the big issues are and he knows what the majority want done.

Housing affordability - get rid of the tax breaks

Climate change and energy - Quarantine some natural gas and go large on renewables (and research how they could be engineered to support base load long term)

Pass gay marriage legislation

He does this and his popularity may become large enough that the 70% of moderates in his party would support him against the dickheads.

There's one thing about Turnball that I read recently and hadn't considered.

If he get's the flick he's unlikely to hang around. If there is a by-election at this point in Wentworth it's likely the libs may lose the seat and have to rely on an independant to govern.  

Cue comments about the WA election being fought on "state based" issues. Partly true but no way a swing of the magnitude recorded has no federal implications.

Labor has demanded the Turnbull government urgently probe the electoral eligibility of one of its own ministers, NSW National David Gillespie, following constitutional concerns that echo those which felled former senator Bob Day.

Fairfax Media revealed in February that Dr Gillespie, who holds the north coast NSW seat of Lyne, may have an indirect financial interest in the Commonwealth - grounds for disqualification under section 44(v) of the constitution.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/labor-demands-turnbull-government-investigate-its-own-minister-over-eligibility-cloud-20170406-gvfeld.html

Interesting. Bye bye Turncoat majority??

21 minutes ago, zaph said:

Interesting. Bye bye Turncoat majority??

Lyne is a safe nats seat. Or it was until Rob Oakeshott snatched it in 08. Rob had the advantage of being an established state pollie. 

Independents do well and for a non-city seat, the Greens do well. In a by-election, Pauline may be able to get it if the rabble of independents give her their preferences. Labor has no chance. 

Will it even go to a by-election or will the second place getter from the last (or the one before) election get the job? If Gillespie was ineligible at that last election, then you can assume he owned the shop at the election before that and was also then ineligible. Will he have to pay back the salary he received that he was ineligible to receive? 

Could we see a government with not 3, but 4 parties in its coalition?

There's been a huge amount of govt pointless advertising in the last week. Small business ra ra -higher wages. NBN. Champagne for everyone. If the last election wasn't held less than a year ago I'd be sure one was around the corner. Who knows, Turnbull was stupid enough to go for a DD maybe he'll do it again. (don't think he has the triggers) 

1 hour ago, zaph said:

There's been a huge amount of govt pointless advertising in the last week. Small business ra ra -higher wages. NBN. Champagne for everyone. If the last election wasn't held less than a year ago I'd be sure one was around the corner. Who knows, Turnbull was stupid enough to go for a DD maybe he'll do it again. (don't think he has the triggers) 

There is no way Turnbull would want a DD. He would be fully aware that it would now result in a change of government.

On 12/04/2017 at 10:17 PM, cobran20 said:

There is no way Turnbull would want a DD. He would be fully aware that it would now result in a change of government.

Who knows? He was stupid enough to go for one last year when a grade 9 political student could tell it was the worst idea.

May have worked out what all the advertising is. Departments spending up their budgets close to the end of the fin year so they get the same allocation next year.