staringclown

How long will Malcolm remain

168 posts in this topic

Ha! When is the next election...

Mid next year. If MT can keep the right dinosaurs at bay I predict he will serve a couple of terms as PM. 

Malcolm Turnbull.

He's going to be positive and he's confident that he has the necessary skills to lead Australia, where Tony Abbott couldn't.

Hmmm.

Lets see how he goes, because he is going to face some of the most torrid and tumultuous periods in Australia's history, if not the world.

Let me highlight a few.

I don't see mining turning back up again for at least a decade.

So he is taking the reins of a government that has an increasing revenue problem for the considerable future.

It hasn't yet dawned on our mainstream media that we are broke, and are gradually but steadily getting deeper and deeper into debt......

Manufacturing is still shot to pieces, and the major car industries will begin their closedown next year for the next 2 years.

The mass migration in the north is going to impact upon us sooner or later. I have to wonder what an extra million or two people will do for the economies of already struggling nations. There could be a demand upon all nations to take an extra intake.

Or they could just see how much land we have and try to make the trip in a boat. Depends upon how desperate some people get.

I think he will be called upon to commit our troops to a ground war in Syria.

Now that's always got to be a highlight for any leader.

If SMarty Armstrong is even close to correct we could see several sovereign nations default in the next 2 - 5 years.

How much upheaval do you want.

I think it is all coming to a government near you!!

And Malcolm (and many others) think that his background as a corporate banker is going to be the saving grace.

I'm sorry but they are going to be up against forces they cannot control.

No one knows what the future will bring, but I wouldn't want Malcolm's new job for all the tea in China.

If MT can keep the right dinosaurs at bay I predict he will serve a couple of terms as PM. 

It is highly improbable.

We know that 44 out of 98 Liberals dislike Turnbull. If those 44 win their seats at the next election then they will limit Turnbull to being a puppet for the same vision the people have come to hate and he will get rolled or lose the follow-up election. If those 44 lose their seats at the next election then Turnbull loses the majority to govern and he will not be PM.

Edited by sydney3000

A snap nationwide SMS Morgan Poll conducted on Tuesday of 1204 electors found Mr Turnbull was instantly popular with voters, leading Mr Shorten by a healthy margin as preferred prime minister, 70 per cent to 24 per cent.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-defies-pressure-to-go-voluntarily-as-malcolm-turnbull-sworn-in-as-pm-20150915-gjna61.html#ixzz3lpD6RuyL 

Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

That's a massive lead! Could just be a spike as people are so glad to be rid of Tony dumb dumb. 

That's a massive lead! Could just be a spike as people are so glad to be rid of Tony dumb dumb. 

He'll get his 3 month honeymoon period. Reality starts after that. He should go to the polls now and capitalise.

He'll get his 3 month honeymoon period. Reality starts after that. He should go to the polls now and capitalise.

Yup. Election before Christmas must be an even money bet. Tony Nutt is heading his staff, he got Ballieu up in Victoria - knows how to run a successful election. Reds must be cacking their dacks.

It's all a Punch and Judy show, nothing of substance will change IMO and certainly no change in economic fortunes.

Ha! When is the next election...

Won't be that easy IMHO. As zaph says if he can control the extreme right then he might have a show. I think he'll go early to capitalise on the honeymoon. If he wins an election it will give him some legitimacy to change tack on policy. He has promised a plebiscite on gay marriage "in the next term". If that term begins sooner rather than later all the better for him. Labor have been wrong footed. They assumed Abbott would stay forever. The Canning by-election will be instructive.

He's going to disappoint either his colleagues or the public (that hope he is the messiah) If he locks himself into the Abbott trajectory he is doomed. The leaks have already started. Maybe syd is right?

To remove the logger-headedness of the left and right factions among parties and within parties Turnbull should have come out and said: "Every vote under my leadership will be a conscience vote."

It would have thrown off everybody and changed the balance.

Trouble is he's going to have a hell of a time hanging on to the leadership even without springing moves like a conscience vote for every vote. Though I admire the premise. He's got conservative christians, moral conservatives and crony capitalists to deal with and they are pissed off that their champion has been defeated. These people don't even realise why Abbott was stiffed. Neither does Abbott by the way. 

The selection of the new cabinet will be instructive as to which way MT is going to roll.

Trouble is he's going to have a hell of a time hanging on to the leadership even without springing moves like a conscience vote for every vote. 

I think he has a better chance by doing so. He would take his 54 votes from the LNP and 22 votes from the opposition to get legislation passed. It would neuter the 44 supporters of Abbott.

And in a surprise move, Joe Hockey, the Abbott-government Treasurer, has told the new Prime Minister he intends to quit the Parliament.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-cabinet-reshuffle-women-young-mps-the-big-winners-in-21st-century-team-20150920-gjqugi.html#ixzz3mGJbKbC2 

He should get a bonus payment for that!

How has Dutton managed to hang on after "operation fortitude"? Even the Victorian police won't work with Borderforce.  :wacko:

He should get a bonus payment for that!

ambassador to somewhere? a plum no doubt

ambassador to somewhere? a plum no doubt

Yep

Axed Treasurer Joe Hockey will quit politics amid speculation he will be offered a plum diplomatic post within weeks.

Mr Turnbull said. "I believe he has a further contribution to make in our nation's service."

Former Labor leader Kim Beazley is due to finish as Ambassador to Washington at the end of this year. Mr Beazley has been a highly respected diplomat, having excellent connections in the US capital.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/joe-hockey-to-quit-politics-after-being-dumped-as-treasurer-but-could-take-diplomatic-post-20150920-gjqyxs.html#ixzz3mJ1Nk8n0 

If anything does materialise, will Armstrong take credit as another proof of his ECM?!!  ^_^

...The sudden thawing of opposition to long-term reform possibilities that has come with the Turnbull prime ministership means superannuation concessions for the well-off, entirely ruled out of consideration by the Abbott government for political reasons, are firmly back on the agenda with all parties agreeing such arrangements need to be scrapped if they are not "fit for purpose".

Also in the frame are capital gains tax concessions on property held for longer than 12 months, and negative gearing on property, both of which have been criticised for having unintended consequences, such as distorting real estate markets and driving prices beyond the reach of first home buyers.
"There was a very, very strong agreement that concessions needed to be looked at," said Business Council of Australia Chief Executive Jennifer Westacot...

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has suggested it is inevitable Sunday penalty rates will be reduced but said there would need to be widespread acceptance from workers that they would not be left worse off.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-lower-penalty-rates-inevitable-with-seven-day-economy-20151005-gk1yr5.html#ixzz3nkL1l32M 

He's much better at spin than TA. He's doing a good job of conning workers into believing they will be better off with lower wages. 

All he needs to do is raise the base rate to compensate for the initial loss of penalty rates. Then once the penalties have gone - don't raise the base for a few years. Let inflation do its work. Presto! We are "competitive"