Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cobran20

SMH: Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer and his Lidcombe developments

40 posts in this topic

For those  outside Sydney, this guy was all over the news for a very extravagant wedding. I guess we now know how he makes his money.

link

Salim Mehajer, the western Sydney deputy mayor with the big wedding, is hoping to make more than $45 million extra profit by simply shifting walls around on one of his developments in the Auburn council area.

People who bought off a strata plan for his SkyPoint Towers in John Street, Lidcombe, were told last week their apartments are to be reconfigured.
Apartment footprints have been reduced by between 30 and 40 per cent.
One couple who put a deposit on a $600,000 plus apartment in May saw their 150-square metre future home reduced to 94 square metres.
Purchasers were told that the 64 apartments in the original eight-storey development at 42-44 John Street, Lidcombe would now house an additional eight flats on each floor....
...Many of the SkyPoint Towers buyers are Australian Chinese or Australian Koreans....
...They were given until last Wednesday, August 12, to decide.

They have not been offered any compensation for the lost space.

The contacts they signed explained there could be alterations made to apartment sizes....

Where's there smoke there's bound to be fire.

Don't be surprised if we find this guy in the news for something other than lavish weddings.

Where's there smoke there's bound to be fire.

Don't be surprised if we find this guy in the news for something other than lavish weddings.

Just look at his father's history. Considering he works for the council, I'd expect a future ICAC enquiry.

That's hardly fair!  A property developer employed with local government using supercars, helicopters* and a cavalcade of bikies as theatre in his "lavish" wedding?

Strayan' dream, buddy.  If you don't like it get out!

*Bronnie knew to draw the line at helicopters

Edited by Dose

He's a f*cking spiv. How developers (both he and the mayor) can get in a position to approve their own developments is beyond me.

He's a f*cking spiv. How developers (both he and the mayor) can get in a position to approve their own developments is beyond me.

Exactly. A bit like Dyson Heydon making the decision on whether to disqualify himself from his role in the Royal Commission. Irrespective of what your views are about the Royal Commission, somebody else should be making that decision.

Sorry to seem pretentious. :blush: Only to illustrate that the problem of corruption is ages old and a perennial problem... 

From the latin: Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Who guards the guards?)

When you get to the level of high court judge you are effectively beyond reproach. That doesn't explain the spiv mayor case however...

It's beyond me that they don't recognise a potential conflict and excuse themselves.

I've sat on boards where I have a perceived conflict and excluded myself. Left the board room for discussions and decessions as soon as a potential conflict comes up. But most of the other directors look at you as if you had herpes when you exclude yourself. 

About time!

...A controversial law that allows local councillors - including property developers - to vote on planning control changes in which they stand to benefit will be scrapped by the NSW government.

The decision has been announced by Local Government Minister Paul Toole following more than a week of scrutiny of the business and political dealings of Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer....

It's beyond me that they don't recognise a potential conflict and excuse themselves.

I've sat on boards where I have a perceived conflict and excluded myself. Left the board room for discussions and decessions as soon as a potential conflict comes up. But most of the other directors look at you as if you had herpes when you exclude yourself. 

It is a requirement as part of my employment in the APS to avoid conflicts of interest both actual and perceived. If I breach then I am subjected to disciplinary action. I was naive enough to think this issue was solved long ago due to similar rules applying to pollies. Apparently not. 

The law was changed from what I understand to allow remote regions to allow "talent" AKA local worthies to be allowed to run for office. Lest the lack of the "right sort of people" be excluded and the "wrong sort of people" gain power...

Shock, horror - who would have expected this for one of our community's finest citizens?!  ^_^

Salim Mehajer expected to be charged over alleged kidnapping threats

He made his wife stand two metres behind his absurd countenance when he announced his prime ministerial ambitions recently. What a guy...

I suspect he needs some PR advice on how not to sh*t the entire Australian population. Tall poppy syndrome applies mainly to those who succeed and shout about it. A certain level of self-deprecation is a requirement of obtaining the admiration/love of this country.

Even the rumour of the utterance of the phrase "Don't you know who I am?" is likely to arouse the sort of treatment this spiv upstanding citizen is now receiving. If you're going to sail as close to the wind as this guy it's a good idea to keep very quiet about it. At least for a couple of generations.

What happens when you let Dracula work at the blood bank!

Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer faces tribunal over alleged breach of pecuniary interest laws

...Cr Mehajer was present when the council voted to increase floor space ratios and building height for a property at 3 Mary Street, Auburn.

Cr Mehajer then held 90 per cent of the shares in the company owning the building, she said.

Ms Mitchelmore said an independent valuer had found the changes increased the value of the property "in the vicinity of" $1 million....

The place has been torched twice in two years:

link

pure coincidence no doubt!

Zaph: I'm sorry to hear about your fire.

Salim: shh; next year.