cobran20

How long will Bronwyn Bishop remain?

73 posts in this topic

Abbott himself was very candid to cabinet earlier in the year. If you are attending a fundraiser make sure you visit a hospital or something...

I reckon that's what really pisses people off about the issue. Rather than saying it's cool to go to a fundraiser, wedding or whatever if it just happens to coincide with official business he says here's a way to get around the rules. 

I reckon that's what really pisses people off about the issue. Rather than saying it's cool to go to a fundraiser, wedding or whatever if it just happens to coincide with official business he says here's a way to get around the rules. 

Agreed. 

She's gone and not before time. Even now though Abbott claims the system is at fault - not Bishop. 

Agreed. 

She's gone and not before time. Even now though Abbott claims the system is at fault - not Bishop. 

She seems to be the most partial speaker of recent times. I like that she is not the slight bit apologetic for it. 

I think she would have made a great leader. The libs are too 50's to have a woman as leader. She's got bigger balls than Abbott, Hockey and Pyne combined. Those featherweights couldn't punch their way out of a paper bag. Bronnie would give them hell. 

She needs to resign from parliament too. If I did what she did I wouldn't just be demoted, I'd be fired. 

She needs to resign from parliament too. If I did what she did I wouldn't just be demoted, I'd be fired. 

She should also repay the monies for all other indiscretions!

She should also repay the monies for all other indiscretions!

That will bankrupt her. LOL.

I suspect she's about to get dragged through the legal system, ala Slipper. 

Seriously, how long do taxpayers need to put up with this cr@p! Undoubtedly, politicians from all political spectrums do it. So why not severely curtail the existing benefits and impose prison sentences for those who significantly breach the rules.

Taxpayers cop $800,000 bill for Bronwyn Bishop’s 2014 expenses

One side as bad as the other!

.... Prime Minister Tony Abbott is being noticeably and wisely circumspect in criticising opposition MP Tony Burke's expansive use of "entitlements", in which his family was flown business class to Uluru to join him on ministerial business in 2012.,,,

This is ridiculous and needs to be pursued with the same rigour as Bishop. 

They all have their snout in the trough. It is a game of the pot calling the kettle black.

They all have their snout in the trough. It is a game of the pot calling the kettle black.

Lots of people think MPs should be forced to take buses, kept in poverty like some church minister and the like. I don't agree, and I also don't agree with unfettered access to freebies. 

Expenses are quite a complicated area for MPs. Governments support the arts - so why shouldn't an MP book up to visit an arts event? A holiday at Uluru - umm?? MPs just don't seem to be able to determine the difference between an expense and an entitlement. 

The thickness of his hide leaves you speechless. 

Labor frontbencher Tony Burke says his family's $12,000 business class trip to Uluru was "beyond community expectations" but is standing by the claim, although he will repay $90 in travel expenses he claimed to attend a Robbie Williams concert....

...Mr Burke is under fire for using the "family reunion" provision to fly his family business class so they could join him on a family holiday at Uluru, where he was carrying out work in his capacity as the then Environment Minister.

The entire trip cost $12,000. Mr Burke is not repaying any of those expenses, despite acknowledging they were extravagant. 

Mr Burke, who led Labor's successful attack against former speaker Bronwyn Bishop, who resigned in disgrace on Sunday, broke his silence on Thursday and said the two cases were completely different.

But he conceded his claims, although within the rules, looked excessive to the public....

What all these politicians are forgetting is that we are currently in an environment of budget duress and supposedly looking at deficit budgets as far as the eye can see into the future.

When I'm doing my personal tax, I'm very reluctant to claim anything as a deduction unless it can be proven beyond doubt that it is a genuine expense incurred while making my income.

Have I ever claimed something though which might be dubious?

Yes. When I was much younger and simply after a refund.

Does that make me a tax cheat - perhaps!

But this is not the attitude I'm getting from the defenses of all the politicians, who I might add, appear to be very nervous talking about this subject.

They seem to think they are "entitled" to their entitlements!

That is; that they are somehow entitled to our money which we pay in good spirit for them to distribute around our society for education for our children, healthcare for the sick, roads and transport infrastructure, sewerage and such.

And the thing is , that it is not just federal members involved in this practice. Every level of government (of which we have 3 levels) all appear to believe the same.

If this is how our highest members of society act, then surely they cannot severely  clamp down on the battlers who might claim a $100 or more unexplained expense.

Interesting double standards.

I believe this practice is far more intrenched than we (the voters) care to admit.

Does anyone know what the entire parliament spend on entitlement expenses in the past 5 - 10 years?

I can't seem to find it on the web!!

I believe this practice is far more intrenched than we (the voters) care to admit.

Does anyone know what the entire parliament spend on entitlement expenses in the past 5 - 10 years?

... and let's not forget that this privileged group is part of probably the only existing job that offers a defined benefits pension scheme to new members!

... and let's not forget that this privileged group is part of probably the only existing job that offers a defined benefits pension scheme to new members!

Members appointed after 2004 do not get a defined benefits scheme. They do get a rather generous 15.4% 'employer' contribution to an accumulation fund of their choice. 

GREENS Senator Sarah Hanson-Young charged taxpayers $2700 in flights, accommodation and chauffeur-driven cars in Sydney on the same weekend in 2013 that she partied at Mardi Gras.

An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has revealed Ms Hanson-Young received two VIP tickets from Mardi Gras organisers to attend the March 2 event.

That weekend the Adelaide-based Senator — who was spokeswoman for gay and lesbian issues at the time — claimed $744 for two nights of travel allowance, $994 in flights and $963 in Comcar travel.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/greens-senator-sarah-hanson-young-partied-at-mardi-gras-with-taxpayer-money/story-fn5tas5k-1227472211871

In the meantime, Mrs Bishop is still on her $341,477 a year salary and expected to earn $6567 this week. Once she goes back to being a humble backbencher, she will be on $195,130 a year, or $3752 a week.

That means she is set to be paid an extra $2815 in taxpayer cash this week despite not being able to perform any official duties.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bronwyn-bishop-is-still-speaker-and-on-the-speakers-341000-salary-20150806-gisz4h.html#ixzz3i4OxNUn7 

Follow us: @brisbanetimes on Twitter | brisbanetimes on Facebook

In the meantime, Mrs Bishop is still on her $341,477 a year salary and expected to earn $6567 this week. Once she goes back to being a humble backbencher, she will be on $195,130 a year, or $3752 a week.

That means she is set to be paid an extra $2815 in taxpayer cash this week despite not being able to perform any official duties.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bronwyn-bishop-is-still-speaker-and-on-the-speakers-341000-salary-20150806-gisz4h.html#ixzz3i4OxNUn7 

That's what I call a win-win situation!  :furious:

Tony Burke’s euro trip with staffer who became partner cost taxpayers $48,000

...when in 2009 the then Labor frontbencher charged $48,951 for a six-day ministerial trip to Europe, including first-class flights for a senior adviser....

What better way to impress your future partner than to spoil her with a first class ticket to Europe ... at taxpayer's expense!  :furious:

Education Minister Christopher Pyne and his family claimed more than $5000 in travel expenses for a family visit to Sydney for the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

Mr Pyne argues a private, apparently one-on-one meeting with Tony Abbott was justification for his family's Christmas trip, as scrutiny of MPs' expenses drags into its fourth week.

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/christopher-pyne-claimed-5000-expenses-for-christmas-family-trip-20150807-giu5k3.html#ixzz3iA19ypAg 

The media is certainly getting good mileage out of this whole affair.

The media is certainly getting good mileage out of this whole affair.

The more the better! But will the rules be changed?

The more the better! But will the rules be changed?

I think so, and it will be accompanied by an increase in salary to compensate for the loss of entitlements. 

I think so, and it will be accompanied by an increase in salary to compensate for the loss of entitlements. 

Sir, you are a smart man.