cobran20

How long will Bronwyn Bishop remain?

73 posts in this topic

Seriously, how long do taxpayers need to put up with this cr@p! Undoubtedly, politicians from all political spectrums do it. So why not severely curtail the existing benefits and impose prison sentences for those who significantly breach the rules.

Taxpayers cop $800,000 bill for Bronwyn Bishop’s 2014 expenses

SPEAKER Bronwyn Bishop cost taxpayers $811,857 in expenses last year.

The hefty travel bill for the member for the Northern Beaches electorate of Mackellar does not include two extra charter flights to Young for another fundraiser — just days after her $5227 Geelong helicopter trip — and Nowra for two seniors forums.
A Daily Telegraph analysis of the speaker, who has rapidly lost the confidence of the government front bench, has revealed the enormous expenses the politician costs Australians.

It has also been revealed Mrs Bishop’s trip to Young was just five days after she racked up $5227 for an 80km luxury helicopter trip between Melbourne and Geelong for a party fundraiser.

It can be revealed that in 2014 Mrs Bishop claimed;

●$309,581.99 in overseas trips

●$47,086.14 in domestic trips

●$32,471.12 in limousine travel

●$350,909.63 in office costs

The Department of Finance did not declare her two extra charter flights because they were close to the reporting deadline last year and will be included in the next set of expense claims to be released at the end of the year.

All of these expenses are on top of a very generous salary of around 350k per year. 

According to the parliamentary services department the speaker receives a bonus on top of the normal ministerial wage. They are supposed to be impartial and have the support of all members of parliament.

Bronwyn is the least impartial speaker in quite a while. There have been bad Labor speakers (Leo Mcleay was one) Slipper was dodgy as well. The reason that the Libs were able to bring slippery down was because he was well known for stretching the boundaries of expenses while a member of the LNP. Why the AFP are treating a direct referral by the ALP as opposed to a direct referral by the LNP is an interesting question. The Finance Department in the Slipper case refused to intervene when Slipper tried to repay the cash.

I had no problem with Slipper being subject to a full AFP investigation. It was a pretty obvious setup. I would however like to see consistency in the AFP approach lest they be seen as political...

I wouldn't hold my breath on any reform occurring any time soon cobran. She's "on probation" and in spite of Labors bluster ther have been no serious proposal for reform. The status quo suits both sides. 

Bishop's one rat cunning politician. I can't believe she thought she'd get away with this.

The public moans and groans when they see the likes of a $350k travel bill, but that's where it stops. When it's so specific as $5k on a charter chopper where a car would have done the job in an hour causes the public to call for blood. 

:lol:

Lets give her an opal seniors card until she gets through probation... Capped at 2.50 per day.

I thought you were joking about $2.50. NSW PT is sooo much cheaper than QLD. A pensioner go card (our opal) return peak trip from the GC to Brisbane is $13! - you could get the same trip in NSW for $2.50. It's $26 return for a peak adult or $36 if you use a paper ticket. 

I thought you were joking about $2.50. NSW PT is sooo much cheaper than QLD. A pensioner go card (our opal) return peak trip from the GC to Brisbane is $13! - you could get the same trip in NSW for $2.50. It's $26 return for a peak adult or $36 if you use a paper ticket. 

Looks like NSW may get a population boom of seniors migrating from QLD!  :P

The cost of living is so high in Sydney that all you have left to travel is $2.50. The irony is that if you actually intended to spend the last cent on a ticket you'd have trouble recouping any utility from it as the services are always full. It's more sensible to buy a scratchy instead and use the winnings to hire a helicopter.

Mrs Bishop's office has now confirmed the Speaker claimed the $600 cost of return flights to Albury in 2006, from where she travelled to former frontbencher Sophie Mirabella's wedding in Wangaratta.

Mr Abbott claimed the cost of attending Ms Mirabella's wedding in 2006, but later paid it back.

Federal Opposition spokesman Pat Conroy said that implied Mrs Bishop should also repay the money.

"If Tony Abbott thinks it's OK to go to a wedding and charge the taxpayer for it, why did he pay the money back?" he said.

"And if he thinks it's not OK, why hasn't he asked Bronwyn Bishop to repay the money?

"Is there anything Bronwyn Bishop actually pays for herself — without being forced to, of course?"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-24/bishop-defends-taxpayer-funded-travel-to-wedding/6646312

I'll partly chose a conference on where it's being held and tack on an extra few days to catch up with friends. I'm sure many people do the same. But there's no way I would or could just dream up a reason to go a city on a very specific date to coincide with a wedding, which is obviously what Bishop did. 

I wonder how many Australians will be emboldened to make extra claims on their tax returns this year. I have a friend in Albury I'd like to visit too...

Joe Hockey's comments about Bronwyn Bishop's excessive use of taxpayer-funded helicopters included, "Well, it doesn't pass any sort of sniff test, does it."

But unfortunately for ol' Hocks, Channel Ten have revealed in their 5pm Eyewitness News report, that it's quite likely that his travel expenses don't pass the 'sniff test', either. 

Ten Eyewitness News uncovered that Joe Hockey, during the time that he was a member of the Opposition, and now in his current role as Treasurer, has taken a unusually high number of taxpayer funded trips to Cairns.

Allegedly, his trips to Cairns (over 6 years) have used around $20,000 of taxpayer cashola. Oh, and he just so happens to own a farm there

But Turnbull thinks it's fine

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/joe-hockeys-20k-in-farm-trip-expenses-within-rules-turnbull/story-fn59niix-1227455423359

Communications Minister Malcolm Turnbull is sure Treasurer Joe Hockey followed the rules when he made 13 taxpayer-funded trips to Cairns while in opposition.

Who's going to get busted next?

Nope. No Joke. Bronnie will be nickel and dimed into oblivion. The story will run and run. She's now claiming she had "secret hearings" whilst attending Mirabellas wedding wot Abbott paid back. The independent  office of speaker is compromised. Abbott has her on probation whatever the f*ck that means? The only thing that is clear is that she aint independent anymore. At his word she must resign?

BESIEGED Federal Speaker Bronwyn Bishop hired a luxury corporate aircraft to take her to Nowra — a two and a half-hour drive from Sydney — at a cost of more than $6000 to attend a fundraiser late last year.

Already facing calls to resign over the $5227 cost of a chopper flight from Melbourne to Geelong she had to repay, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Ms Bishop is said by Liberal sources to have spent even more on a flight to Nowra to attend a fundraiser in Berry a fortnight after the chopper ride.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/bronwyn-bishop-travel-expense-scandal-speaker-also-spent-more-than-6000-on-flight-to-fundraiser/story-fni0cx4q-1227465550231

She had to slum it in a propeller plane. Oh the humanity.

She had to slum it in a propeller plane. Oh the humanity.

Looks like it would have been more cost effective to the tax payers if she was given a government supplied lear jet than a limo to discharge her duties as a pollie!

The whole affair does raise questions about how and when members should book up travel to the tax payer.

I don't expect my MP to take the bus and turn up to duties looking like a soggy old piece of toast, neither would I expect them to charter a helicopter to go to the shops for bread and milk. Under some limited circumstances charter air travel may be necessary - certainly not when a 1-2 hour car trip is an option. 

Travel to go to a party fundraiser - not on. What if it's just a tiny bit of a larger necessary trip? Say a meat raffle for the ALPs black, disabled wheel chair fund?

Travel to open a woman's refuge - ok. What if there's a raffle at the opening for the Liberal party's refugee fund?

If a member is in Canberra during a sitting week, should they be disallowed from attending a party fundraiser on Wednesday night?

What about going to a party fund raiser and incurring another nights costs and opening an envelope the next morning so it's within guidelines?

Looks like it would have been more cost effective to the tax payers if she was given a government supplied lear jet than a limo to discharge her duties as a pollie!

I don't think a lear jet would be allowed to take her from Geelong airport to the talking engagement. She needs a larger plane that can also transport the limo! 

There are few politicians more straight up than Industry Minister Ian Macfarlane but that didn't stop his local paper giving him both barrels last week.

"How MP Spent $11,000 on One Flight"

He explained, and it was dutifully and fairly reported, that he needed to be in Canberra that morning for a policy announcement with Tony Abbott but had to be back in Toowoomba later in the day for the opening of a refurbished arts centre to which the federal government had contributed $2 million. Then he had to get back to Canberra for ministerial meetings at night and cabinet the next morning.

This quotes were taken from today's AFR.http://www.afr.com/news/politics/why-bronwyn-bishop-is-a-disaster-of-tony-abbotts-own-making-20150729-gimqf4?stb=twt

They were trying to mark the point that even legit travel expenses are being scrutinised, and decent politicians are under attach too.

I must say that reading the above it seemed pretty unnecesary and superficial to be flying back and forth between Toowoomba and Canberra just to cut some ribbons and make some announcent that could have been made a day later. I don't mean to single Ian out, but you just wouldn't do it if the costs were coming out of your own pocket. You also wouldn't do if you had a fixed (capped) travel budget, such that you were incentivised to be a bit more strategic about how funds were spent.

Part of the problem is that politicians got to be seen doing something so that the people feel they are working in their interest. Politicians can get their job done staying in their office in the same way workers get their job done staying in their cubicle.

The whole affair does raise questions about how and when members should book up travel to the tax payer.

I don't expect my MP to take the bus and turn up to duties looking like a soggy old piece of toast, neither would I expect them to charter a helicopter to go to the shops for bread and milk. Under some limited circumstances charter air travel may be necessary - certainly not when a 1-2 hour car trip is an option. 

Travel to go to a party fundraiser - not on. What if it's just a tiny bit of a larger necessary trip? Say a meat raffle for the ALPs black, disabled wheel chair fund?

Travel to open a woman's refuge - ok. What if there's a raffle at the opening for the Liberal party's refugee fund?

If a member is in Canberra during a sitting week, should they be disallowed from attending a party fundraiser on Wednesday night?

What about going to a party fund raiser and incurring another nights costs and opening an envelope the next morning so it's within guidelines?

Charter flights for official business by ministers and MP's with big country electorates I can understand ... and subject to pre-approval and subsequent scrutiny by an independent body, I can understand. All other MPs, speaker of the house, etc can stick to the govt. car!

Part of the problem is that politicians got to be seen doing something so that the people feel they are working in their interest. Politicians can get their job done staying in their office in the same way workers get their job done staying in their cubicle.

That I think goes to the heart of the matter. If we, as an electorate, refuse to make actual informed decisions and instead rely on the public actions then we get the, as zaph points out, ludicrous situation of attempting to draw a line between which stupid activity is ethical (still stupid though) and which is stupid _and_ unethical.

Abbott himself was very candid to cabinet earlier in the year. If you are attending a fundraiser make sure you visit a hospital or something...

Perhaps he had a premonition. There are legitimate reasons for air charter for MPs but none that Bronwyn can justify. She might have survived had she been a tad more contrite a lot earlier.  Too late now.

As it stands she smells like a three week old corpse according to the famed sniff test. If she stays then Abbott will start to smell as much as she does.  

Smells like a gangrenous government consuming the flesh of the Australian worker. The diseased limb needs to be removed soon to save the host.

Bronwyn Bishop has cancelled her next taxpayer-funded overseas trip amid ongoing controversy over  her travel expenses, raising fresh questions about her ability to stay on as federal Speaker.

The embattled Mrs Bishop had been planning to travel to the United States for an international summit of parliamentary speakers in New York at the end of August.

It is understood planning for the trip was well advanced, but Mrs Bishop quietly withdrew her travel plans in the wake of public fury over her travel expenses at home and abroad.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/bishop-grounded-speaker-cancels-overseas-trip-as-expenses-scandal-rages-on-20150801-gipbxy.html#ixzz3hbGf0nZD

Fairly prudent as I doubt she'll be speaker when the summit happens. If it was me, I'd go out with a bang and charter an A380!

She plans on making up on it once retired. Let's hope there will be some divine intervention before then.

Not worthy of it's own thread. I was shocked to read in today's courier fail that women (or men I assume) are not permitted to breast feed in parliament. Women breast feed everywhere these days, why not parliament? It's not like a crying baby would be any more of a distraction than members shouting over each other.

Maybe Bronnie could champion the cause and get her tits out in parliament, may distract from her present woes.