Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

LED lights / Power use reduction

7 posts in this topic

I've been house sitting (or mostly animal sitting) my parents McManshion while they are spending my inheritance. I'm looking at ways to reduce power use/costs. They have solar and the bill I opened included ~$250 worth of feed in power, cutting the bill almost in half. 

Obviously, they should use the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, pool pump, etc at night when they're paying 23c rather than during the day when they could sell their solar power to the grid at 50c. 

Lighting:

A lot of the lights are on dimmer switches (which is cool). I believe that fluoro type bulbs won't work with dimmers - but what about LED?

So my question is whether LED lights will work fine on dimmers?

I've been house sitting (or mostly animal sitting) my parents McManshion while they are spending my inheritance. I'm looking at ways to reduce power use/costs. They have solar and the bill I opened included ~$250 worth of feed in power, cutting the bill almost in half. 

Obviously, they should use the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, pool pump, etc at night when they're paying 23c rather than during the day when they could sell their solar power to the grid at 50c. 

Lighting:

A lot of the lights are on dimmer switches (which is cool). I believe that fluoro type bulbs won't work with dimmers - but what about LED?

The 4 year old house we bought in 2012 has 42 60W ceiling halogen downlights. They were quickly replaced by 9W LED lights. Had to pay for an electrician to re-wire them but I expect to recover that expense in reasonable time.

The 4 year old house we bought in 2012 has 42 60W ceiling halogen downlights. They were quickly replaced by 9W LED lights. Had to pay for an electrician to re-wire them but I expect to recover that expense in reasonable time.

If you had that many halogen lights all turned on at the same time and allowing for 15W heat loss in the transformers - then you would burn 3.15 KW of power just for lighting! In summer you also need to run the air conditioning to pump all that extra heat out of the house.

Good move changing the lights!

Some of them are dimmable and some aren't. If you go to Bunnings or wherever, just check the box. There is usually an icon on the box that indicates whether it is dimmable or not (they are usually a bit more expensive than the standard LEDs).

If you had that many halogen lights all turned on at the same time and allowing for 15W heat loss in the transformers - then you would burn 3.15 KW of power just for lighting! In summer you also need to run the air conditioning to pump all that extra heat out of the house.

Good move changing the lights!

Only problem I find with LEDs is that they don't like being switched on/off regularly - they expire much quicker than the claimed life expectancy. Fortunately, they came with a 5 year warranty and I've replaced the ones in the kitchen a few times. Hopefully by the time the warranty expires, the prices will be much lower..

Only problem I find with LEDs is that they don't like being switched on/off regularly - they expire much quicker than the claimed life expectancy. Fortunately, they came with a 5 year warranty and I've replaced the ones in the kitchen a few times. Hopefully by the time the warranty expires, the prices will be much lower..

Is that using well known brands? I had similar issues some years back with the old energy savers and then after reading about the shortcuts taken in the manufaturing of the cheapies I switched to the big brands and had far less trouble.

When I moved into the house that I just moved out of, I replaced all the globes with LEDs. I used Philips and Osram and while the initial cost was eye-watering, I only changed one bulb in four years.

Is that using well known brands? I had similar issues some years back with the old energy savers and then after reading about the shortcuts taken in the manufaturing of the cheapies I switched to the big brands and had far less trouble.

When I moved into the house that I just moved out of, I replaced all the globes with LEDs. I used Philips and Osram and while the initial cost was eye-watering, I only changed one bulb in four years.

Perhaps that is the source of the problem. I bought this brand (previous model to what is currently dispalyed):

http://search.golights.com.au/nav/led/led-downlights

I thought that if they're willing to provide a 5 year warranty, then they must be Ok.