Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

787 near vertical take off

13 posts in this topic

Without passengers to worry about and the weight of cargo, I would suspect it would be true. An empty passenger jet would have good power to weight ratio.

You can also see it with an A380:

The 380's a really ugly plane!

In the late 90's I used to travel a lot to an airport with a volcano at the end. The plane (small jet - F100 from memory) did the steepest take off I've experienced. None of this, too much ash to fly crap - if air agony could start the engines they'd fly! If they had trouble the used http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_Bastard_Instant_Engine_Starter/#.VYE5cvmqqko

Dangerous and strange airports1

If I recall correctly the Lukla airport in Nepal has the remnants of the ones that did not make it down the valley below.

If I recall correctly the Lukla airport in Nepal has the remnants of the ones that did not make it down the valley below.

I never saw any planes below but the experience is like something out of Indiana Jones! It is an absolutely incredible experience and the planes come in and out frequently. I believe the greater risk is planes not stopping in time and crashing into the side of the mountain.

I was at a reunion recently and one of the past students died in a Nepal plane crash about seven years ago... may have been at Lukla but I didn't ask.

I never saw any planes below but the experience is like something out of Indiana Jones! It is an absolutely incredible experience and the planes come in and out frequently. I believe the greater risk is planes not stopping in time and crashing into the side of the mountain.

I was at a reunion recently and one of the past students died in a Nepal plane crash about seven years ago... may have been at Lukla but I didn't ask.

Lukla airport in Nepal one of the world's most extreme, dangerous

http://www.nashospng.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Rabaul-airport-Sep-67.jpg

Watch how the clouds respond to the 'sonic boom'. I lived in in that area for a year, you'd get a sonic boom almost every day. If you left a glass of water on a table you could watch it shake even when there were no official eruptions or earthquakes. 

Edited by zaph