Mr Medved

Water pumps for hot water

8 posts in this topic

Anyone know where I can find a company that sells eletric-powered water pumps - but for pumping hot water (up to 100 degrees)? They don't seem to be too common in Australia.

Are you looking for a "Heat Pump", which is a type of hot water system? Or something else?

I have family that live o/s. Their heating system involves a stove boiling water and the pump pushing water into reservoirs in the walls to keep the house warm. When the water cools it cycles back to the stove to be reheated.

The pump is for pumping the hot water into the walls. In a nutshell specs for the pump I am after:

- Water can be up to 100 degrees.

- Pipe/valve of 32mm.

- Variable rate of pressure.

- 80-100W; needs to be rated for 32mm.

- Electric powered that can be plugged into a regular wall socket.

- 220V preferable but 240V is ok.

- Not too noisy.

As this is not something that is often needed in Australia I'm not sure where to look, as you don't normally need to pump around boiling water.

Couldn't you just use relative density to do it? Have the pipe from the stove go vertical to the top of the stack then as it cycles it will cool and at the bottom push itself back into the stove by itself.

Alternately (assuming a closable system you could use a temp activiated switch to pump the cold water at the end of the cycle:

If temp is < X degrees at the tail end

-> fill reservoir

-> close system

-> pump cold tail water through one way valve into stove

-> when tail temp hits Y degrees turn off pump

The one way valve and closed system should mean that the boiling water gets pushed without touching the pump.

I have family that live o/s. Their heating system involves a stove boiling water and the pump pushing water into reservoirs in the walls to keep the house warm. When the water cools it cycles back to the stove to be reheated.

The pump is for pumping the hot water into the walls. In a nutshell specs for the pump I am after:

- Water can be up to 100 degrees.

- Pipe/valve of 32mm.

- Variable rate of pressure.

- 80-100W; needs to be rated for 32mm.

- Electric powered that can be plugged into a regular wall socket.

- 220V preferable but 240V is ok.

- Not too noisy.

As this is not something that is often needed in Australia I'm not sure where to look, as you don't normally need to pump around boiling water.

Don't they sell such pump in the country where your family lives, since they use such mechanism for heating?

Couldn't you just use relative density to do it? Have the pipe from the stove go vertical to the top of the stack then as it cycles it will cool and at the bottom push itself back into the stove by itself.

Alternately (assuming a closable system you could use a temp activiated switch to pump the cold water at the end of the cycle:

If temp is < X degrees at the tail end

-> fill reservoir

-> close system

-> pump cold tail water through one way valve into stove

-> when tail temp hits Y degrees turn off pump

The one way valve and closed system should mean that the boiling water gets pushed without touching the pump.

Apparently the water doesn't circulate fast enough without the pump. Bear in mind it has to keep the house warm when it drop below -40 (celcius).

Don't they sell such pump in the country where your family lives, since they use such mechanism for heating?

Yes though quality of pumps may be better here (hence me looking around).

Apparently the water doesn't circulate fast enough without the pump. Bear in mind it has to keep the house warm when it drop below -40 (celcius).

Oh sorry, I thought you were setting up a similar system in Aus. Not that you were looking to buy pumps to ship to a cold country.