Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zaph

How long will Annastacia remain?

8 posts in this topic

Annastacia Palaszczuk has formally accepted Governor Paul de Jersey's offer to form Queensland's new government.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/queensland-election-labor-to-form-government-20150213-13ds4r.html

Will there be a by election for FG? Who will win? Will we be swapping govts in a couple of months?

Edited by zaph

The Liberal National Party is understood to be considering contesting the result of Ferny Grove in the Court of Disputed Returns, after the Electoral Commission of Queensland's decision not to refer the matter to the court.

'understood' aka Fairfax made it up. 

The Palaszczuk Government is in crisis after the Premier was forced to sack one of her MPs for failing to disclose his criminal history to the party - bringing her two-month old minority administration to the brink.

Ms Palaszczuk ordered the state executive to expel Cook MP Billy Gordon from the party on Sunday after discovering he had been "dishonest" with her. 

She also advised Mr Gordon to resign from parliament, which would leave Labor in danger of falling one seat short of a parliamentary majority - Labor won 44 seats, including Cook, while the LNP claimed victory in 42. Independent MP Peter Wellington committed his support to Labor, giving Ms Palaszczuk the majority in the 89-seat parliament she needed to lead. 

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/mp-billy-gordon-sends-palaszczuk-government-into-crisis-20150329-1maj13.html

I would have thought that being dishonest as a politician would be grounds for a promotion, not the sack.

I would have thought that being dishonest as a politician would be grounds for a promotion, not the sack.

Often a key requirement for treasurers!

In my news link the video reporter says neither party will 'accept' Gordon's vote. Either the reporter is making that up, or neither party understand how parliament works. If Gordon doesn't quite then his vote has to be 'accepted'. 

Gordon's going to struggle to find employment cleaning toilets now, so he'll hang onto a good paying pollie job as long as possible - he won't quit. Labor is publicly asking him to quit, but would be privately handing him brown paper bags not to. He'll vote with Labor as an independent to keep his job. 

Over the last 80 years the seat of Cook has only been held by non ALP candidates for 6 years. If Gordon does resign and force a by election there is a very very good chance that the ALP will hold the seat. 

Senior Queensland Labor figures believe the government has no choice but to go to an election, after it was taken "completely by surprise" by Rob Pyne's resignation, despite the Cairns MP airing his frustrations publicly.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/rob-pyne-quits-queensland-government-taken-completely-by-surprise-20160307-gncygp.html

So it's now down to 42 even LNP/ALP, 3 independents and 2 mad katters. Anna's holding government by a couple of rubber bands and some chewing gum. 

Independent Wellington has long said he will support Labor (particularly as they gave him the well-paying speakers job). Pyne has already stated he will mostly support Labor and Gordon mostly has. The ALP has successfully got the support of the two katters at times too. At the moment, for the function of govt, I see no need for an election. That could change quickly.

Politically there could be reason for an election. Voters generally punish govts who call early elections, but this perceived impasse would not punish Labor for calling an ultra early election - it may even benefit them. Labor might call an election before the LNP can get rid of the unelectable Borg. 

I smell an election.

The pointless publicly funded political advertising (ops, I mean information sharing) has been running for a couple of weeks now.