cobran20

Unemployment Thread

29 posts in this topic

(A little play on words)

Unemployment, begets unemployment, begets unemployment, begets........

Unemployed can't buy --- leads to more unemployed .... hmm.

Wonder what breaks that cycle? :bangin:

Unemployed have sex. :inlove:  Cheapest entertainment. :naughty: (At least in the beginning!)

New types of employment to look after the needs of the unemployed people's children. :thumbsup:

A new baby boom. :scared:

:band:

Miners and manufacturing workers are the losers so far according to AK. Might explain Uggs Port Headland bust.

I have a feeling that downward wage pressure will begin a lot earlier than the 1990 UE levels of 10%. 

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2015/02/13/4179909.htm

A meeting on Wednesday night between Griffin Coal and its workforce didn't reach agreement on pay and conditions in order to shore up the ailing company

According to Collie MLA Mick Murray, the meeting was held to work out a way for Griffin to return to profitability.

Shift rosters, pay cuts, and extra hours were discussed he says. Proposals to drastically cut wages, "didn't go down too well", he says.

According to CMFEU spokesperson Gary Wood, the company was looking to save $11.5m or $50,000 annually per employee which amounts to a 40 per cent pay cut.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-07/qrc-says-coal-industry-pay-cuts-better-than-no-jobs/5874216

QRC says coal industry pay cut better than no jobs
By Megan Hendry

Posted

7 Nov 2014, 11:58amFri 7 Nov 2014, 11:58am

The Queensland Resources Council (QRC) says pay cuts for workers in the state's coal industry will save jobs.

Mining support company Hastings Deering has asked workers to vote on a new enterprise agreement which effectively contains a 25 per cent pay cut for some workers.

The company said it was necessary during the mining downturn and it would mean fewer job losses in the future.

The Australian Manufacturing Workers Union said workers were being "wedged" by the threat of job losses.

The company has already cut more than 600 positions.

The local subsidiary was mentioned on 4 Corners this week.

Maximus and outsourced unemployment services in Australia

I get ABC news on an app on my phone. I can never find the same story on the net - bugger. So my post may be highly inaccurate...

The dole is one of the smallest parts of welfare $7b (remember all figures are from memory, please correct). $1.3b is handed out to job agencies (mostly churches) who 'assist' job seekers to gain employment. I have a friend of a friend who works for one of these agencies. There's a perverse reason to keep the UE'd on the books so they continue to get govt payments. 

These agencies tick the boxes to get ongoing govt funding to find people employment. People who want employment get it. Those that don't want employment are made to turn up to meaningless appointments. 'Dole bludgers' always find a way around the system and turn up and get their names ticked off. 

I reckon we could save $1b by only helping those that want employment to get it. The economy needs UE. 

I get ABC news on an app on my phone. I can never find the same story on the net - bugger. So my post may be highly inaccurate...

The dole is one of the smallest parts of welfare $7b (remember all figures are from memory, please correct). $1.3b is handed out to job agencies (mostly churches) who 'assist' job seekers to gain employment. I have a friend of a friend who works for one of these agencies. There's a perverse reason to keep the UE'd on the books so they continue to get govt payments. 

These agencies tick the boxes to get ongoing govt funding to find people employment. People who want employment get it. Those that don't want employment are made to turn up to meaningless appointments. 'Dole bludgers' always find a way around the system and turn up and get their names ticked off. 

I reckon we could save $1b by only helping those that want employment to get it. The economy needs UE. 

I like the work-for-the-dole concept, especially if it involves sh!t jobs. Those crappy vacation jobs I did whilst I went to Uni were a great incentive to finish the degree and get a decent job.

I like the work-for-the-dole concept, especially if it involves sh!t jobs. Those crappy vacation jobs I did whilst I went to Uni were a great incentive to finish the degree and get a decent job.

The concept would work if there were always a way out of the crappy job. You did the job while at Uni. What if you didn't have the resources to finish the degree? You were stuck digging ditches for a living? No chance of a "decent" job due to family commitments? 

The concept would work if there were always a way out of the crappy job. You did the job while at Uni. What if you didn't have the resources to finish the degree? You were stuck digging ditches for a living? No chance of a "decent" job due to family commitments? 

If you can't finish your degree full time with the help of HECS, then do it part time whilst you work. Regarding family commitments, that can be the choice some people make (often without thinking about the later implications) or in some cases an unfortunate situation you're stuck with.

Is it going to consolidate at current levels before rising or falling?

The thing I find interesting about that chart is we haven't seen a multi-year slow burn increase like in the last four years (over that time period).

My guess is the next move will be up but the ABS may introduce a new hedonic calculation to push it lower.

The thing I find interesting about that chart is we haven't seen a multi-year slow burn increase like in the last four years (over that time period).

My guess is the next move will be up but the ABS may introduce a new hedonic calculation to push it lower.

Could be the more aggressive monetary policy they now use?

I need to see the chart that indicates the proportion of "good jobs".

That's just because he doesn't read my blog. My job kicks the crap out of his. New pie chart needed.

TreasurerGoodJob_zpstcookovg.jpg

Thankyou CD.  :lol: Your post cheered me up immensely. 

A canary in the coal mine?

AustraliaPost slashing jobs in cost-cutting drive

http://www.smh.com.au/business/australia-post-slashing-jobs--reports-20150626-ghy759

Australia Post will slash almost 2000 jobs over the next three years as it wrestles with diving volumes of letters. The company said on Friday that losses in its mail delivery business are approaching $500 million this financial year, taking losses to more than $1.5 billion over the past five years.

It is understood that 1900 jobs will be axed from the postal service provider through a voluntary redundancy program. There will be no forced redundancies.

More in the link.

The man who earned $4.8 million last year, including over $2.0million in incentive based commissions can't make the books balance.

This is a past supposedly proven CEO of NAB and Citigroup.

And the only way he can vision to fix it is to embark on an austerity drive, based around mass sackings to try to improve the business.

Will this actually make Australia Post more productive, or even financially better, or worse?

If I was on the Board of Directors, I would be asking serious question about whether he is worth $4.8million.

Achmed, your cheque is in the mail.....

Edited by Solomon

A canary in the coal mine?

AustraliaPost slashing jobs in cost-cutting drive

To answer Medved's question more seriously.

I can't determine whether this is a sign of things to come, but I do know that a recent visit to Mackay was full of doom and gloom. Anecdotal hearsay, is that approx, 20,000 people have left the district. I see Mackay is one of the towns targetted for job losses.

I also have a family member who works for Australia Post and he reports that they have been slashing working conditions in mail sorting centres.

It seems to be more and more focussed on parcels.

The downturn in coal and rocks must start to bite the economy soon.

Pressure on workers seems to be a world-wide phenomenon. Lots of people are stressed to their eyeballs in Europe.

I wish I could be more optimistic and bullish in general, but things don't look good from a general global macroeconomic point of view. Granted, I was way too early in my bearishness - since just before the GFC. I just could never imagine the extent of bubble blowing by central bankers and governments worldwide.

Maybe the enormous stimulous measures are a bit like an upper drug - we get euphoric, but the withdrawal symptoms will be severe when the drug supplies run out.